Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/3 14:20
I am looking for a traditional japanese hotel or hostel in Shibuya? I would be willing to stay somewhere else close if you know of a great traditional japanese hotel. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You
by sgaustin  

Re: Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/3 16:41
Shibuya is in central Tokyo, and you wouldn't really find any traditional Japanese inn there... from another thread I know you are looking for an "onsen" experience, but for that you would need to travel outside Tokyo. Places like Hakone or Atami would be easily accessible.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/3 17:50
There is an interesting ryokan in Ikebukuro.
see http://kimiryokan.jp/

They have a Japanese bathtub in wood but not a onsen, as the later needs water from a hot spring I think.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/4 00:22
Thank you, i dont have to stay in the heart of Tokyo if you know a great place to stay, based on experience. But also interested in convenience to the rail system. I chose Shibuya because its close to almost everywhere i would like to go. Thanks
by sgaustin rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/4 00:42
Many foreign tourists would stay in a ryokan for a couple of days, and the rest in a modern hotel. This is due to expense, and also that ryokans have some more stringent rules. Staying in a ryokan in Atami, Hakone,etc. makes sense. But if you want to stay in one in Tokyo, the Ueno and Asakusa areas have many.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/4 00:50
There are only a few reasons that you need to stay in a specific area. The main thing is that you want to avoid trains during rush hour, especially morning. Also, trains don't run 24 hours, so if you want to party all night you might want to pick a strategic location. Staying close to Tsukiji is advantageous if you want to go to the early morning auctions. And if you are day tripping to Mt Fuji, staying in Shinjuku would be helpful if you are leaving during rush hour. Finally, if you have lots of luggage or have mobility issues you will want convenient transportation access. If none of these apply, you can stay almost anywhere as there is almost always a train or subway station close by.

Re: Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/4 01:26
ok thats great, do you think i should just wait till i get out there to find a hotel or should i book in advance. i plan on seeing the fish market, going to mt. fuji, Shibuya, primarily central and western Tokyo. where do you recommend staying, is there a specific place you usually stay when you go there? Finally, as far as trains/subways should i buy a pass of some sort or purchase tickets when i need them? Thanks for all the help!
by sgaustin rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/4 03:03
also worth checking out airbnb.com

i booked an apartment on there in shibuya for my trip in January. Personally I think it beats a ryokan and a hotel, you get to live in a place just like a real japanese resident. :)
by dplunn rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/4 03:27
Really depends on your budget and whether you want late-night entertainment. Figure out how you want to see Mt Fuji, and then figure out convenient transportation from there. Here's where I would stay (in this order, or in reverse):

1) Stay close to Tsukiji for a night or 2
2) Hakone area onsen/ryokan
3) Shinjuku - Century Southern Tower or Sunroute Plaza

Re: Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/4 13:27
I found this place in researching accommodation for one trip, but booked elsewhere. It looks nice though and is right near Tozai Subway and Takadananobaba station (which is on the Yamanote line, near Shinjuku). http://www.tamaryokan.com/
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/4 17:53
I will recommend Ryokan Sansuiso
Heartwarmingly nice staff. Really, really helpful and one man spoke great english. They even helped us arrange a visit to a sumo practice, which took a lot of effort from them. Comfortable rooms. Extremely clean - they turn the place around every day -, very nicely located, just a couple of minutes walk from Gotanda JR and metro station.
http://discount.hotelprimer.com/Hotel/Ryokan_Sansuiso.htm
by Saito (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for japanese style hotel in Shibuya 2013/1/4 18:07
When you say Japanese hotels, I assume you are referring to "ryokan" traditional inns, please note the different types of "ryokan." That word originally was used to refer to high-end, full-serviced inns (with outdoor hot spring bath, meals served in-room), but now it is used to refer to budget, family-run, small cozy but no frills places too.

What you can experience in Hakone or Atami are the high-end ones, and ones like Sansuiso is the budget ones.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2029.html

While you might enjoy the cozy atmosphere, be aware of what you are getting for the price.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread