Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

9days 8night Tokyo during April 2013/1/20 12:33
Hi,my family and myself are heading to Japan for the first time this April,I have booked my hotel but its at minato,intercontinental Tokyo bay,the question is,should I buy the JR pass ?as I already booked 8nights stay here,is it still worth it to visit Kyoto ?as it is 3hr away from us and we have to rush back here,Thanks all!
by Littleponpon (guest)  

... 2013/1/20 21:05
should I buy the JR pass ?

If you go to Kyoto, yes.
If you just stay around Tokyo, no.

as I already booked 8nights stay here,is it still worth it to visit Kyoto?

I would, but I would cancel some of the nights and book a couple or a few nights in Kyoto or Osaka (to see Kyoto).

as it is 3hr away from us and we have to rush back here,

Why do you have to "rush back"? It is possible to spend the whole day in Kyoto if you leave Tokyo early, and then just take an early evening train back to Tokyo. With the JR Pass you could do this on more than one day if you wish, but as explained above, it would make more sense to spend a night or two in Kyoto itself.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: 9days 8night Tokyo during April 2013/1/21 00:47
as it is 3 hr away from us and we have to rush back here

According to current timetables, logically you can be around Kyoto Station for about 11 hours if you take the earliest and the last sets of trains.
(Considering the risk of my itinerary being delayed, personally I would not like to make such a Kyoto daytrip.)

From your hotel in Tokyo, you can have a walk to Hamamatsucho Station of JR-East, take a train departing from Track 3 or 4 for five minutes or so to Shinagawa and make a transfer to Tokaido Shinkansen of JR-Central.
You cannot take Shinkansen Nozomi trains with a Japan Rail Pass, but there are many Shinkansen Hikari trains available between Tokyo / Shinagawa and Kyoto or Shin-Osaka.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: 9days 8night Tokyo during April 2013/1/21 17:25
Is it your first time in Japan?
I would never stay in Tokyo ONLY for over a week! Definitely plan some day trips!
If you're on a limited budget, then skip Kyoto, but consider the sights that are much closer to Tokyo such as Nikko, Kamakura, Enoshima, Nokogiriyama, Kawaguchiko, Yokohama, Kawagoe etc.
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: 9days 8night Tokyo during April 2013/1/22 13:37
Hi,thank you all for your reply, yes,this is indeed my first time going Japan,so assuming I skip Kyoto for this trip,I plan to take the limo bus to my hotel,any advise of any train pass I should get? for visiting around Tokyo. I read up on the suica card but I don't really understand,sorry
by Littleponpon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 9days 8night Tokyo during April 2013/1/23 03:50
Many would recommend focusing a first-time trip on Kyoto, not Tokyo. But it all depends on your interest. If you are being budget-conscious, I would not go to Kyoto, and instead on focus on day trips from Tokyo. Kamakura and Nikko would give you a nice taste of old Japan with nature. In general, rail passes would not pay off then. Suica is just a pre-paid card - convenient if you don't want to figure out your fare and buy a ticket for every trip.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: 9days 8night Tokyo during April 2013/1/23 07:43
If you are staying in Tokyo only and intend to make daytrips, a JR Kanto pass might be a moneysaver, depending on the trips you make.

Check www.hyperdia.com for train timings and costs so you can plan what to do.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread