Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Useful iphone applications for travelling 2013/1/21 12:41
Hello! I'll be travelling for 36days around japan! I'll be using an Ipad/iphone so i'm asking if there's any useful applications i can use while travelling

(e.g. hyperdia phone application? bus/train time schedule in english? good japanes-english translation? japanese social media?)

please feel free to comment and advice me!

thank you!
by honeybooboo  

Re: Useful iphone applications for travelling 2013/1/21 14:07
Will you have a mobile internet connection? If no, then the my list is rather short:

imiwa (japanese-english dictionary)
skype wifi (so you can get on paid wifi networks if necessary)
skype or other voip service (for calling while on hotel internet)

If you have mobile internet then the following are godsends:

google maps
hyperdia (paid)

I've also seen some online translators that can translate off a picture that work reasonably well, but they are paid and I don't personally use them.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Useful iphone applications for travelling 2013/1/21 15:08
yes i'm using mobile internet definitely!
please share whatever you know!

thank you! (:
by honeybooboo rate this post as useful

Re: Useful iphone applications for travelling 2013/1/22 13:17
When we took our iPad to Japan for a 2 week holiday we mainly only used it for google maps, web browser and skype, in that order.

I did download an Osaka app which was like a travel guide/book but I found japan-guide.com a lot more up-to-date and useful :)

I also tried kayak and similar trip planning apps, but I just typed all the info in a word table and printed it out.

If you do most of your trip planning beforehand, you shouldn't need (m)any apps.

When I went to Japan a previous time (about 10years ago) I used an online map like google maps but it was in Japanese. It showed a lot more details like more convenience stores and supermarket locations. But I can't find it any more! It was really great for planning our trip.
by Obak3 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread