Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

will my phone work in Japan 2013/1/21 22:46
Hi, we are traveling to Japan in April. Are European SIM cards normally working in Japan with an iphone? And are there enough free wifi spots available to check email etc?

Thanks a lot!
Barwyn
by barwyn (guest)  

Re: will my phone work in Japan 2013/1/22 02:40
- Are European SIM cards normally working in Japan
Please consult your phone company about international roaming service.

- are there enough free wifi spots available to check email etc?
No. Please book a hotel with free wifi in the room and reception.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: will my phone work in Japan 2013/1/22 03:54
If you're in major JR East train stations, JR East offer free wifi for 30 minutes a day.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pdf/free_wifi_02_e.pdf
by Justin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: will my phone work in Japan 2013/1/22 10:17
Wifi is by no means widespread but...

I found there was free wifi at quite a few train stations, quite randomly - even some pretty small ones.

You can get free wifi in Starbucks if you register at their website in advance of using it, ditto a lot of 7/11 stores.

But you should certainly try to book a hotel that has it either in rooms or at least in lobby.

by UK Traveller (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: will my phone work in Japan 2013/1/22 10:24
Are European SIM cards normally working in Japan with an iphone?

Most major carriers can internationally roam in Japan, but which iphone are you using? The original (silverback) iphone doesn't work in Japan, but anything iphone 3g or newer will be fine.

And are there enough free wifi spots available to check email etc?

In the past year the free wifi networks have been rapidly expanding to the point where its common enough in major cities and tourist spots for intermittent email, but not common enough for navigating (i.e. using google maps) your way around. As mentioned, 7-11 and Starbucks stores are your best bet, as well as major train stations in the JR East Network. Otherwise consider using skype wifi (allows you use paid networks on a pay per minute system paid in your home currency) to fill in the gaps. See this page for more info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2279.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: will my phone work in Japan 2013/1/22 10:44
Thanks for the info on Skype, yllwsmrf - I did not know that service was available! I may give that a try in February when I am in Tokyo (I use Skype to call home anyway, so have an account).
by UK Traveller (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: will my phone work in Japan 2013/1/22 10:53
There are not a lot of free Wifi spots here.

You can always check if your phone would work with a Japanese data SIM card (b-mobile): http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/visitor_devices.html
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: will my phone work in Japan 2013/1/22 18:03
thanks for your help, this is usefull!
by barwyn (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread