Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

6 month sabbatical in Japan..but where? 2013/1/21 23:49
Hello everyone.

I am thinking about heading to Japan for 5/6 months to (a) take a break from it all and (b) finish a writing project.

I'm looking for somewhere peaceful - not anything urban...ideally somewhere in the country with a town no larger than 5000 people. Good scenary etc. Any ideas? (I;m sure you have a few:))

So, please some advice on DOs and DONTs in Japan. I'm Irish as my name suggest so that's my cultural background. As you may know we are a very informal people. Should I make a huge effort to increase the formality out there. I don't want to mortify some old lady with my Irish cheekiness:)
So that's basically it. A pleasant little town for a long visit, with lots of natural beauty nearby. Cheers!
by IrishRegulus (guest)  

Re: 6 month sabbatical in Japan..but where? 2013/1/22 18:26
I am thinking about heading to Japan for 5/6 months
Before anything else, check if you can.....tourist visas are 90 days
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: 6 month sabbatical in Japan..but where? 2013/1/22 19:57
Irish nationals can be in Japan with a tourist visa for up to 6 months.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: 6 month sabbatical in Japan..but where? 2013/1/22 20:02
Can we know a little more about your predilections?

What time of year would you likely be going?
Would you be driving there or how would you get around?
What weather do you like or would be fine with?
Would you rather have coastline or mountains as one of your muses? or perhaps both?

This may give us a better understanding and narrow a choice for you.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: 6 month sabbatical in Japan..but where? 2013/1/22 22:30
Hi and thanks for he replies!

Right, well, I do suppose I was being a little vague:) I didn't want to write a book and have no one answer.

My intention is to get away far from everything I know in order to finish a long-overdue writing project - ergo my sabbatical.

I was thinking about Spring/Summer or Summer/Autunm. I can leave winter.

I hadn't considered driving, to be honest. I get enough of that where I am. Wouldn't mind a sleepy town somewhere which is bicycle friendly, and where the locals are reasonable.

I am under no illusions here - Japan can be a difficult society to enter into without Japanese, which to me sounds entirely normal. The internet seems awash with people moaning about it - I live in a university town and I don't see Irish students falling over themselves to befriend the Asians - why would it be any different anywhere else. Anyway, I thought it would be an ideal place to put the head down, get a bit of nature and finish my work. No distractions :D a bit of self-sabotage..haha...I'm quite the socialite so Japan's ideal as I have no word of Japanese and I suspect that many Japanese will simply be too tired to try to understand me or too embarrassed to try their English with a native speaker; therefore, I shall be left alone to be the strange outlander, and to finish my book. I'm banking on the fact that folks will avoid me like the plague when it's obvious I cannot speak the lingo.

Coastline or mountains?? hmm...yes, I'll have both please...Given that I hail from the land of perpetual rain, I think I'd like something a little more pleasant. No higher than 30C (preferably about 25C) and a mixture of sunny skies and a bit of rain. I need my rain folks..haha.

I have to say, hand on heart, that I know absolutely nothing about Japan and Japanese culture but, maybe it's better to arrive with a completely blank slate rather than a load of nonsense from Samurai films etc.

So, yip.

Coastline + Mountains
Temperate climate ( 30 Max )
SPring/Summer OR Summer/Autumn
Friendly enough locals

Cheers! There's your challenge! Find me a perfect place in Japan, bursting at the seams with inspiration :D

by IrishRegulus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 6 month sabbatical in Japan..but where? 2013/1/23 00:37
The west side of the Izu peninsula has both a beautiful coast and a nice view of Mt. Fuji when it's clear. Not many tourists go there.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: 6 month sabbatical in Japan..but where? 2013/1/23 07:32
Hi,

1. You might better check the weather of various places.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

You will stay 6 months so that I think you might want to change the place: For example, Hokkaido (Sapporo) is nice in summer but it is somewhat cold in spring and autumn.

2. What type of accommodation are you thinking of? If your skills in Japanese language is limited, you will have difficulties in renting apartment. Even if you are fluent in Japanese, 6 month rental is too short in rural areas.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: 6 month sabbatical in Japan..but where? 2013/1/23 08:43
If you are going to be here in summer at all, then Hokkaido would be the only place where the temperature stays under 30.

Echoing what frog1954 said, accommodation might be limited to hotels, hostels, guesthouse/monthly rental apartment and such, as "regular" rent contract is normally for 2 years and require a guarantor. Maybe a resort place/seasonally rented out apartment in Hokkaido, if any is available? So-called foreigner-friendly guesthouses tend to be only in big cities where there is demand.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 6 month sabbatical in Japan..but where? 2013/1/23 10:58
Sorry, didnt know that re Irish nationals: I wish!!! Thanks for correcting me.
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread