Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling during School Spring Holidays 2013/1/22 14:10
I'd like to travel to Japan during those dates (last week of March and the first of April). But I'd like to know if the attractions and places will be more crowded and if it's even more expensive due to the holidays.
Or if it'll be only more kids and youngsters around.
Any advice will be of much help.
Thanks
by ShezNek (guest)  

Re: Traveling during School Spring Holidays 2013/1/22 18:22
This is prime Cherry blossoms time, irrespective of school holidays, so accommodation will be booked well in advance, and a little more expensive..
Popular sakura/hanami locations will be crowded, but not with school age kids..
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling during School Spring Holidays 2013/1/22 23:02
It really depends on where you go.
I've been traveling every year in the first week of April in the past few years and there were huge differences.
Kyoto is always crowded, but especially during cherry blossom season and even more in autumn.

When I went to Shikoku in spring - it was really beautiful - there were almost no people!

The most crowded places are the most popular ones, but NOT the most beautiful and interesting ones - keep that in mind ;)
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling during School Spring Holidays 2013/1/23 13:15
Will it be crowded like Weekend crowded? Or a bit more?
Also I plan in visiting Kyoto a couple of days. So, it'll get crowded too then?

by ShezNek (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling during School Spring Holidays 2013/1/23 17:10
I rather enjoy travelling during the spring holiday. Since most JHS/HS students are still doing club activities then and it's normal work weeks, you'll find some places really quiet during the week.

But once the sakura starts opening up, the weekends will be super crowded and the evenings can be busier around sakura hot spots too.

If you hit up Kyoto during the week you should be able to avoid the worst of the crowd though you may still run into tour groups and the like who are travelling just to take in the sakura.

As for prices, I haven't really noticed that big a difference between spring break and normal times. But I suppose it depends how you're travelling and where you plan on staying.
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling during School Spring Holidays 2013/1/23 23:44
It will be VERY crowded! Not like on a normal weekend, but insanely crowded!
You might not be able to take any buses, because they're too crowded. There won't be any empty coin lockers at Kyoto Station.
You might have to line up forever to buy your train tickets.
If there's some illumination going on (e.g. at Kiyomizudera) you might have to stand in line for an hour or so.

That's how bad it can get. I'm not saying that it'll be like that every day in April. I've been there in April and it was crowded, but not THAT bad.
I've been there in autumn during a long weekend and it was INSANE!
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread