Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/24 13:15
I am planning to spend a full day from Kiyomizu -dera to Ginkakuji. Of course, skipping some places.

Kiyomizu-dera(from 12.30pm)-Yasaka Shrine-Maruyama Park-Heian Shrine-Philosopher's Path-Ginkakuji

Just wanted to make sure I can reach Ginkakuiji in time...
by Joey (guest)  

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/24 14:53
It depends on what season you will be travelling around. The limiting factor is that Ginkakuji closes at 16:30 in winter and 17:00 otherwise, so that only gives you about 4 hours to see a lot of stuff. Factor in that the walking time alone is about 2 hours and that doesn't leave you much time for sightseeing. I would either try to leave earlier or drop something from the schedule.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/24 16:18
Personally, I feel that is totally unachievable in a day, let alone a half day, especially of you are planning to walk the whole way.
I agree with starting earlier, and leaving plenty off that list.
Ginkakuji along the Philosophers Path to Nanzenji/Heian Shrine is a full day if you go into Honen-in, and absorb all Nanzenji has to offer.
Kiyomizudera to Yasaka Shrine/Maruyama Park, including Shoren in and Chion-in, is another day.
So pick and chose, and enjoy!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/24 16:31
Of course it depends on your travel pace and the depth that you want to see, but Eastern Kyoto is very doable in a full day (though not so easily done in a half day). Check out this itinerary:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950_eastern_kyoto_full.html

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/24 17:09
It will take at least half a day to tour Kiyomizu-dera as there are many, many steps inside the compound, (I am not kidding!) so that slows down human traffic by a lot. And within the compound there are many small temples, so you may want to visit some of these smaller temples too.
by rainbow jelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/24 17:14
In my experience, Kiyomizudera takes about an hour or two to see depending on your pace and how crowded it is. Right now there is some major construction going on so that cuts down on the number of things to see so it may go even quicker. I'd add another hour or two if you want to do some shopping or visit a restaurant along the temple approach. Its a great place to pick up souvenirs.

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/24 19:30
Thank you for all your comment. I will be in around Kiyomizu-dera around 8 actually but I am doing the Maiko photoshoot. That will at least take 2 hours. Then lunch before I head up to the temple. I am not going to any other temples besides Kiyomizu-dera itself and Ginkakuji actually.

I will be going in May so i think it closes at 5pm. If Kiyomizu-dera is going to take 2 hours then my best plan to cover my trail is to take a bus to Ginkakuji after Kiyomizu-dera. Then walk through philosopher's path - Heian Shrine - Maruyama Park & Yasaka Shrine. Good idea?
by Joey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/25 04:08
the only issue with that is that then you'd miss walking the path from Kiyomizudera to Yasaka (sp?) shrine, which is really nice. I'd taxi from there to Ginkakuji, if it has to be done in a day.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/25 08:00
Oh yes, I will definitely drop by the path from Kiyomizu-dera to Yasaka Shrine. Just doing the other way round instead.

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/25 10:31
the only issue with that is that then you'd miss walking the path from Kiyomizudera to Yasaka (sp?) shrine, which is really nice. I'd taxi from there to Ginkakuji, if it has to be done in a day.

I like this plan.

Oh yes, I will definitely drop by the path from Kiyomizu-dera to Yasaka Shrine. Just doing the other way round instead.

FYI, the shopping streets between Kiyomizudera and Yasaka Jinja close pretty early (around 5) so don't go there too late or everything might be closed and the streets deserted.

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/25 19:33
FYI, the shopping streets between Kiyomizudera and Yasaka Jinja close pretty early (around 5) so don't go there too late or everything might be closed and the streets deserted.

OMG, really! Then I guess I shall just go to Philosopher's Path and Ginkakuji early morning the next day before I go to Fushimi Inari Shrine.

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/25 22:44
If I were you, I would change for the morning of the second day: early visit the Kyomizu dera (2 hours), then after a look at the Yasaka Pagoda you can walk to Yasaka shrine on foot through Ishibe Koji (beautiful old street )(30 minutes). Visiting Yasaka can be done in 30 minutes.
Then just walk in Shijo-dori to the river kamogawa to reach Kyomizu gojo station to take the train Keihan. (20 minutes walk). Fushimi Inari station is at the fourth stop. Please note that the full tour trails Torii of Fushimi-Inari temple is very long and quite tiring ...
You can find all these places on my blog:
www.soleilrouge.org
Have a nice trip!
by fuchan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/28 11:06
Joey, Can you post your itineraries for your kyoto days?

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/28 15:08
Day 1
6AM+ Kansai Airport-Kyoto(90m) - with LTD. EXP HARUKA 2

9AM Drop luggage at Hotel

10AM Kyoto Imperial Palace tour

12PM Nishiki Market

3PM Check-in Hotel

3.30PM Nijo Castle

Back to Hotel for resting

6PM Kyoto Tower

Dinner and stroll around Kyoto Station and vincity

Back to hotel

Day 2
8AM Maiko makeover around Kiyomizu-dera

11.30AM Brunch

12.30PM Kiyomizu-dera Temple

3PM Yasaka Shrine & Maruyama Park

4PM Heian Shrine

Back to Hotel

7.30PM Dinner around Gion

Take a walk at Pontocho

Back to hotel

Day 3
Due to luggage issue, I will check out in the morning and request for the hotel to keep my luggage.

8AM Ginkakuji Temple

11.30AM Fushimi Inari Shrine

Collect luggage from Hotel then head to Osaka.

I haven't plan my Osaka Itineraries though.

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/28 15:10
8AM Ginkakuji Temple

11.30AM Fushimi Inari Shrine

I will do the Philosopher's Path before I head to Fushimi Inari Shrine.

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/28 16:00
Just a thought about day one. Normally when you drop off your luggage at a hotel, they'll check you in then, too. You just won't be able to get your key or go to your room yet. Or you could just tell them you'll be back late to check in. That way you don't have to make a detour to the hotel unless you really feel a need to swing by before Nijo-jo. Or if you bought too many things strolling around the markets and don't want to carry them.

Or you might want to consider switching the market with Nijo-jo.
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to tour Kiyomizu-dera? 2013/1/28 16:57
I think after the walk in the Imperial Palace (not just the palace, we might go around the compound as well) and Nishiki Market, we'd want some rest and yea, maybe we would have mega-shopped in Nishiki Market.

reply to this thread