Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14 day, 13 nights itinerary 2013/1/24 18:11
Hi forum,

I'm planning a 14 days trip to Japan. However this is my first time visiting the place, and I'll be doing it alone, I'm not sure where are the nice spots to visit.

I'm planning to go Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, probably doing a daytrip to Hiroshima. I also intend to do a temple stay at Koya and be heading to Minikami for traditional ryokan experience.

Might I ask for suggestions for places to visit? Thank you!
by Ben (guest)  

Re: 14 day, 13 nights itinerary 2013/1/24 18:44
This is a bit expensive, but, the Saihoji-temple in Kyoto. 3000 yen per person.

You have to write a request for admission by mail (a letter). You'll have to join in on one of the monk's their religious activities.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3937.html
by Carlove (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14 day, 13 nights itinerary 2013/1/24 18:51
Also, if you're going to Kyoto in July, be sure to visit the Gion Matsuri!
by Carlove rate this post as useful

Re: 14 day, 13 nights itinerary 2013/1/24 19:11
First of all, good on you for going on your own! I did that a few years back; a 16 day solo trip and I had the best time even though I spoke no Japanese at the time.

So, all the places you said are perfect to visit. Are you getting a rail pass? If you are, I would highly suggest a trip out to Takayama. It's a long train ride, but it is worth it, and I know the best little temple that allows visitors to stay for a donation (2000-3000 yen a night, depending on your room).

Also, there isn't much to do in Osaka during the day, but it is my favourite place in all of Japan at night. People down there aren't as used to foreigners as they are in Tokyo, so expect random coffee outings with crazy young people, street chats and drinks in bars. That city also has some amazing bars, pubs and rock bars! So if you have things you want to do (even Hiroshima if you get up early enough) then stay an extra night or two to experience the nights and trip out of the city during the day.

I also went to Koyasan on my own, though I didn't stay the night up there. I did it as a full day trip from Osaka and loved the place. It is so beautiful and worth the train changes, cable cars and bus trips.

For something different, you could spend a night or two in Nagoya as well. It is a strange city, not too fond of foreigners, but that is part of its charm, I think. Even then, I found people to talk to, to drink with and some crazy guys in a 24 hour jeans shop who closed up so they could cook me dinner. It is a lot different to Tokyo and Osaka and there are a lot more families and blue collar workers due to all the car factories, but I love it. It shows a different side of Japan in a way, even down to the fact that the trains are nearly as frequent and don't run as late. Still a great city though.

I guess it all depends what you are in to and what you want to get out of the trip as well. Either way though, I'm sure you will have a ball!

by Minkagreen rate this post as useful

Re: 14 day, 13 nights itinerary 2013/1/26 13:01
Hmm yes I'll be getting a rail pass, though I'm not sure if i should be getting the 7 day or the 14 day?

Yes I'll be heading to Takayama, and will be doing an overnight stay over at Shirakawa-go. I might be heading to Kanazawa also. Since I'll be doing Kyoto too, is it better I visit Kanazawa from there or from Takayama?

Thanks!
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread