Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji - tuna auction 2013/1/26 16:52
I posted a question about transport back in August and it was suggested (thanks for info GC3) I report back my experience. As it is now an old thread I thought I would post this feedback. Our visit was early in November 2012.

I found excellent accommodation at the Ginza Capital Annex Hotel (sorry for the advertising) which appeared to me to be as close as I could get to walk. We left the hotel at about 3.40 and arrived at the queue around 12 minutes later. We were within the first group of 60 - the person at the head of the queue had arrived at 3.15 a.m.! By our observation the 120 places were allocated by around 4.20-4.30 a.m.

We enjoyed our morning but frankly if time was tight in Tokyo, the auction was not a stand-out. I would suggest getting to the market early for a wonderful breakfast and then walking through after 9 am when the market opens to the public - we really enjoyed this.
by Broulee  

... 2013/1/26 20:24
Thanks for the feedback!

How was the rest of your trip? Any other highlights? Anything else you would do differently?
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji - tuna auction 2013/1/26 21:17
I think I enjoyed wandering around the Market and the surrounding Sushi restaurants in Tsukiji more than the auction, but it was a good experience.

We did it exactly as our guide books sugested, i.e. making the most of your jet-lag and went on our first proper day.
We also stayed nearby at the Park Hotel in Shiodome and so were only 15 mins walk from Tsukiji.

After we left the Hotel I was fiddling about with the settings on my wife's camera and before you know it had strayed too far into the harbour area and found ourselves somewhat lost.

So, I decided to try some of my broken Japanese on an older Gentleman who emerged from a Konbini, I was having trouble understanding his directions and he very kindly walked us pretty much there (in the opposite direction from where he seemed to be going I might add) very kind considering it was still 5 in the morning.

I would say that if you are into photography the Market and surrounding area is incredibly photogenic and worthwhile visiting.
by CIB rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji - tuna auction 2013/1/28 10:59
Good to hear your trip turned out well. And thanks for the excellent report!
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread