Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Family trip 2013/1/27 01:05
dear all,
i'll visit Japan with Family ( children, 12 and 13 years old) on jun 28 until July 06

June 28/ 08.25 arrived @ Kansai intl aiport - Hotel Tennoji Miyako Hotel
place to visit:
1. OSAKA
+Osaka Bay Area (aquarium, Tempozan ferris wheel, Naniwa food theme park)
+Umeda Sky building (Yodobashi camera umeda)
+Tenmangu Shrine (optional)
+Sumiyoshi taisha (optional)
2. KYOTO
+Manga museum
+Kinkakuji
+Fushimi Inari Shrine (optional)
3. NARA (Todaiji temple)
4. HIROSHIMA (a bomb dome. museum)
5. HIMEJI (Himeji castle)
July 02 - 06 Tokyo (we donft have itinerary yet)
July 06/ 23.55 leaving Tokyo

Question :
Is it possible to visit all place in 4 days ?
We also want to do shopping in Osaka
this is the 1st trip to Japan for my husband and my children. is there any suggestion for other place around Osaka that we have to visit?
they dont want to go to Universal studio.

Ifll buy JR pass for 7days, when should I use a JR Pass for the 1st time ?
shld I buy a haruka and ICOCA package on the day our arrival @airport?
june 28 Haruka and ICOCA
june 29 ICOCA
june 30 - jul 06 JR pass

Thanks before.
Trisla

by trisla  

Re: Family trip 2013/1/27 08:57
I am a little confused by your itinerary because I can't get the dates to match up. Do you mean:

Day 1 (28th) Arrive Kansai, travel to Osaka and sightsee.
Day 2 (29th) Day trip to Kyoto
Day 3 (30th) Day trip to Nara
Day 4 (1st) Day trip to Hiroshima
Day 5 (2nd) Day trip to Himeji
Day 6 (3rd) Travel from Osaka to Tokyo
Day 7 (4th) Tokyo
Day 8 (5th) Tokyo
Day 9 (6th) Day in Tokyo then leave from Narita/Haneda?

If so, yes in principle it looks as if you can do it, though you may have to be careful not to try and cram too much into a day in Osaka and Kyoto - you need to allow for travel between the sights. Also bear in mind it's two hours each way to Hiroshima from Osaka.

Himeji Castle is currently being renovated http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html so if it's the castle you wanted to see, you may want to consider Hikone Castle for a day trip instead.

To check costs and travel times for each day - you can use Hyperdia. I think a 7 day JR pass would be fine, but when you start it depends on your plans for the time in Tokyo. Trips from Osaka to Nara and Kyoto are quite cheap, so your real choice is whether you want it active the first or last days to pay for your airport travel from Kansai or to NRT/HAN.

You could fit in another day trip from Tokyo to Nikko using your passes, if you wished.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family trip 2013/1/27 09:15
*If the ICOCA can now be used in Tokyo as well as in the Kyoto/Oaaka area (I am not sure about this, someone with better knowledge will have to verify), then I think getting the Haruka and ICOCA one-way deal at Kansai Airport would be best.

That way, you can activate your 7 day JR pass on Day 3 so that it covers you for JR transport to Haneda or Narita on your last day. And of course you can use the ICOCA card on the subways in Tokyo.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family trip 2013/1/27 09:19
If you can get up early and don't mind getting back a little late on the Hiroshima Trip Day, I would recommend taking half of the day to see the Peace Park and the other half to visit Miyajima. You can use your JR Pass on trains from Hiroshima station to Miyajima station, and also on the JR Ferry to the island.

Both are quite doable in one day without rushing overly much.
by UK Traveller (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family trip 2013/1/27 12:15
Dear All,
Thank you very much for the usefull answer, here is my complete itinerary :

Day 1 (June 28) arrive Kansai airport, buy ICOCA+Haruka package, airport-Tennoji Miyako Hotel, drop luggage and Osaka sightseeing to Osaka bay area (aquarium, Tempozan Ferris Wheeln Naniwa food Theme Park) + Kita (Umeda)
Day 2 (June 29) Day trip to Kyoto (Manga museum, Kinkakuji, Fushimi Inari Shrine)
Day3 (June 30) Half day trip to Nara (todaiji temple) + Namba, shinsaibashi, den den town
Day 4 (Jul 1) Day trip to Hiroshima and Miyajima – activate JR Pass
Day 5 (Jul 2) Travel from Osaka to Tokyo, drop luggage at Shinjuku Washington Hotel – Tokyo sightseeing
Day 6 (Jul 3) Day trip to Matsumoto
Day 7 (Jul 4) a half day Disneysea
Day 8 (Jul 5) Tokyo sightseeing
Day 9 (Jul 6) Morning till 16.00pm Tokyo sightseeing
17.45 heading to Haneda airport by airport limousine (our flight is 23.55)

Place to visit in Tokyo :
Shibuya (Koean Dori, Spain slope)
Shinjuku (Yodobashi Camera)
Harajuku (takeshita Dori, Daiso Harajuku)
Akihabara (Yodobashi camera, Maid Cafes, Gundam café, Tokyo Anime Center, Don Quijote, Games, Mandarake)
Oidaba (Divercity Tokyo Plaza, Aquacity, Decks Tokyo Beach)
Nakano broadway, Ameyoko, Asakusa, Sensoji temple,

Is it possible to visit them all?

How is view of Matsumoto castle on early July?
Ifve been there on April 2012. Its very beautiful, that why I want to take my fam there but I not sure about the view and weather on early July.

Can I use JR pass to airport limousine from Shijuku Washington Hotel to Haneda ?

Many thanks.
Trisla
by trisla rate this post as useful

Re: Family trip 2013/1/28 00:06
I visited Matsumoto Castle right at the end of June last year. The day I went it was pouring rain in Tokyo but a warm, sunny day in Matsumoto. I got some great pictures of the castle and the moat/bridge. The only slight negative was that a lot of the bushes and trees in the grounds were not flowering at that time of the year, but I can't say it really affected the view.

I think the best thing to do is keep an eye on the local weather report for that area when you get to Tokyo. You could always switch your days around accordingly if you wanted to.

I don't know if you can see all that you want to see in Tokyo in the time you have or not - it sort of depends on your speed as travellers. Some of your plans group together nicely and are based around JR Yamanote line stations (you can use your JR Pass on the Yamanote line). Odaiba might be trickiest as that takes a little while to travel to and involves private railways, but Tokyo as a whole is very large and you have to allow time for travel between places and for walking.

Maybe you should make a priority list, with the "must-dos" for each day at the top, and then the "optional-dos". That way, you make sure that you visit the things everyone wants to do most, and if you manage other things as well, it's icing on the cake! I had to do that when I was in Tokyo and I didn't get to do everything, but really enjoyed what I *did* do. (And now I have an excuse to go back and do the rest)!

You can't use your JR Pass on the Limo Bus, but you could use a combination of the JR Yamanote line and the Haneda Monorail to get to the airport instead, and that is fully covered by the JR Pass.

Details are on this page: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2430.html

You can use Hyperdia for timings; Shinjuku JR to Hamamatsuco and then Hamamatsucho to Haneda. It looks to me like there is a 17:46 Yamanote train and then an 18:15 Monorail from Hamamatsucho, but please check yourself to be sure.

by UKTraveller (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family trip 2013/1/28 02:55
Jun 28 until July 06

It may well be in a rainy season. Get prepared for rain and moist air.

UKTraveller: You can use Hyperdia for timings

Now it is too early to use a route-finding tool. For example Hyperdia is supporting timetables for only until March 2013. And, railroad diagrams may get revised in March.

UKTraveller: Maybe you should make a priority list, with the "must-dos" for each day at the top, and then the "optional-dos".

I agree....

It is amazing to me that you have gathered many pieces of information on various cultural aspects of my country. However, you seem to have not yet got enough correct and detailed information on some of them. For example, Umeda Sky Building and Yodobashi Umeda Building are located apart, as you can see in the map in the following article.
- http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4009.html

Can I use JR pass to airport limousine from Shinjuku Washington Hotel to Haneda?

No. This airport limousine is not a JR bus.
In Osaka City, non-JR rail (mainly subway) will be more useful for your trips.
In Kyoto City, non-JR bus and rail will be more useful for your trips.
Fares for bus in Nara City and Disney Resort Line monorail are not covered by a Japan Rail Pass.
Odaiba or Asakusa is not served by JR.

Is it possible to visit them all?

I suppose it is not practically possible, even if it is logically possible, considering that three of the four will be first-time travelers and they will include two children.
And, I suggest you would make one more Kyoto daytrip and narrow down sites to visit in Osaka and in Tokyo.
: Day 1 (June 28) for arrival to KIX, Nara trip and Osaka trips (along subway Midosuji Line).
: Days 2 and 3 (June 29 and 30) for Kyoto trips. Note that Manga Museum will be closed from July 1 through 4, 2013.
: Day 4 (July 1) for Osaka trip (bay area).
: Day 5 (July 2) for Hiroshima and Miyajima trips.
: Day 6 (July 3) for heading to Tokyo and Tokyo trip (Akihabara).
: Day 7 (July 4) for Tokyo trips (Asakusa and Odaiba) or maybe Matsumoto trip.
: Day 8 (July 5) for Tokyo DisneySea.
: Day 9 (July 6) for Tokyo trips (around Shinjuku) and departure from HND.

How is view of Matsumoto castle on early July?

I have never visited Matsumoto Castle in July, but I assume it is not the best season to visit Matsumoto for the first time.
(I made a Matsumoto trip in November 2012. I was forgetting the fact that the dungeon of Matsumoto Castle is difficult to climb up (like that of Himeji Castle), but from the Main Keep I had nice views of the town and mountains in the time of foliage.)

[Tokyo DisneySea, Odaiba and Asakusa]

I recommend you would stay for the previous night in one of Tokyo Disney Resort Official Hotels, which will bring you a benefit of guaranteed admission to the park.
I guess that a Tokyo Disney park on a weekday in the first week of July is not extremely crowded as a whole, but even if you are given this benefit, you may need to wait for some attractions.
Or, if you are OK to pick up in advance your tickets for TDS at Ticket Center, you are given a similar benefit by ordering your tickets via the official reservation website.
- http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/about/rh/official.html
- http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/online/en/plan/ticket/index.html

If you stay in TDR for the previous night, you can visit Odaiba (not Oidaba) on the way from Shinjuku, taking a direct train on Saikyo Line of JR-East and Rinkai Line of TWR.
Or, you might hope to visit Asakusa in the morning then take a Water Bus cruise to Odaiba Seaside Park.
In Odaiba, two rail lines are available: Rinkai Line of TWR (lying mainly under the ground) and Yurikamome Line.
Odaiba is vast, but the three sites you have listed are located close to each other near Tokyo Teleport Station on Rinkai Line and Daiba or Odaiba-kaihinkoen Station on Yurikamome Line.
On the way back you might hope to catch a close view of Rainbow Bridge from Yurikamome, in which case you can get back to Shinjuku taking a Local train from Shimbashi (of JR-East, Track 4) on Yamanote Line's outer loop for about 30 minutes.

Tokyo Big Sight is offering a nice route map of Odaiba in the following webpage.
- http://www.bigsight.jp/english/general/access/index.html

[Osaka, Nara and Kyoto]

It sounds better to visit Osaka Bay Area later. After a flight to a first-time country, the children may well be too tired to enjoy aquarium, Ferris wheel, etc.
(In order to get from Tennoji Station to Osakako Station in the area, you will need to change subway lines.)

Your Osaka hotel is located near East Gate of Tennoji Station of JR-West.
If your flight or immigration process is not delayed much, you can reach Nara Station around the noon, taking one direct train from Tennoji. And, if your only purpose is to visit Todaiji temple, you can come back to Osaka in the evening then stroll in areas along subway Midosuji Line such as Namba and Shinsaibashi, and if time permits also Umeda.
A merit of this order is that you will have chances to have rest in your hotel twice.

Osaka Temmangu and Sumiyoshi Taisha are roughly in the opposite direction of Tennoji.
If you make two daytrips to Tokyo, it may be a good choice to visit each of the Osaka shrines before / after each of the Kyoto trips.

In Kyoto, Kinkakuji temple and Fushimi Inari shrine are located apart.
I suggest on one day you would visit Kinkakuji temple first then visit Manga Museum and nearby Nijo Castle, and on the other day you would visit Fushimi Inari shrine and Kiyomizudera temple.

For your information: Even some native Japanese people may be mixing it up, but when we make a prayer we do not clap hands at temples, while we clap hands twice before a prayer at shrines.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Correction: typo 2013/1/28 03:04
NOT: If you make two daytrips to Tokyo
BUT: If you make two daytrips to Kyoto
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Family trip 2013/1/28 21:09
dear all,
thank you for all of the useful information.
I am writing as the daughter of Trisla,my name is Felicia (13 years old).It has been a dream for me to visit Japan.
My mother has been really busy planning all of our activities, so I'am really thankful for all of your help.

I not only want to experience the view and "fun" of japan, But I also wish to know more of their customs.
Seeing that I'am a fan of anime (I'm quite an otaku myself) I wish to see cosplayers,buy figurines,etc.
Is there a more specific place you could show me?
and I would also like to find a good restaurant (but also not too expensive) I would like to introduce the japanese local food to my father.

many thanks
Felicia Xaveria / Trisla
by trisla rate this post as useful

reply to this thread