Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheap Shinkansen tickets from Kyoto to Tokyo 2013/2/2 09:40
Hi all,

Just a quick question which someone might know the answer to. I am looking for cheap train tickets from Kyoto to Tokyo (only require 1 way tickets).

I have seen the Puratto Kodama Economy Plan which is quite cheap (9,800 yen per person). However, it seems like it is only Tokyo to Kyoto.

Can someone clarify if this is the case, and if there are any other options available. I am only in Japan from 3 days in advance so I can't go for options requiring prebooking in advance of that.
by Taiakun  

Re: Cheap Shinkansen tickets from Kyoto to Tokyo 2013/2/2 11:57
However, it seems like it is only Tokyo to Kyoto.

No, the plan is available also in the opposite direction and for various other sections along the Tokaido Shinkansen.

I am not aware of any cheaper method for riding the shinkansen:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2013/2/2 12:44
You may be able to fly for less with one of the LCC like Jetstar Japan. They usually are around 5,500 yen one way including luggage, although you have to get to Kansai Airport, and get from Narita into Tokyo so that adds to the cost.

Obviously an overnight bus (4,000 yen or so) is another cheap way to move between the two.

Depending on dates and how long you want to spend on the trains you can also do the journey by using many local trains in around 8.5 hours or so with a Seishun 18 relatively cheaply.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2362.html

Feel free to post your full itinerary including dates and airports if you want any advice.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Shinkansen tickets from Kyoto to Tokyo 2013/2/2 13:14
Thanks for the quick response everyone!

Plane and bus sounds tempting, but I was thinking of taking the Shinkansen as I am bringing my parents along, and they wanted to experience riding them :)
by Taiakun rate this post as useful

reply to this thread