Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Onsen in Shikoku - Tattood henro 2013/2/4 17:54
Hello everyone,

I am planning to walk the shikoku 88 in autumn this year or spring next year.

Last year i was in Japan and did all the highlights. Overall I had no problems with my big dragon tattoo on my back, most hotels and onsen were okay with that and probably because they are used to tattooed tourists it was ok.

I know shikoku is alot quieter, has more of an old population and not so used to tourists and tattoos. Since a bath in the evening is going to be the best thing of my day besides eating, I was wondering if it will be a problem with my tattoo to get into onsen in shikoku? Does anybody have any experience about that?

Thanks!
by AztiQue  

Re: Onsen in Shikoku - Tattood henro 2013/2/5 17:25
Its a Japanese style dragon btw. Dont know if that could make the difference... kinda worried about it because I will really need a bath when walking :)
by AztiQue rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen in Shikoku - Tattood henro 2013/2/5 22:23
The fact that it's Shikoku doesn't really make any difference. Friends of mine with tattoos are generally left in peace in onsen here, but occasionally some nutter will start yelling and calling the staff, who then feel obliged to do something, like attempt to remove the tattooed person. If it concerns you, the best thing you can do is come up with some lines like "I'm obviously not a yakuza, so stop making a fuss", or "I'm a henro, what sort of welcome is this?"
by Rod Walters (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen in Shikoku - Tattood henro 2013/2/5 23:11
And how do I say that? Something like: watashi wa arukihenro desu... Doshite shinpai desu ka? Tada no Oranda-jin desu

My japanese isn't very good...

Then again, im not sure if im able to answer like this. If they feel offended i dont think ill be comfortable staying there...

Re: Onsen in Shikoku - Tattood henro 2013/2/5 23:43
A lot of people here seem to misunderstand that tattoos are banned because it's seen as a symbol of the yakuza. That is not the case. Some people are scared of tattoos itself. Think about your great grandmother's generation. I'm sure a lot of them would be taken aback if they see a tattoo.

So it doesn't really make much difference to claim that you're not a yakuza but a henro. Some people will just think you're a scary henro. For that reason, banks and city halls often prohibit tattoos on their employees.

You can simply try to show that you're a harmless, nice, loving person. Smile and say, "Kowagarasete sumimasen. Shinpai shinaide. (I'm sorry to have scared you. Don't worry.)" might do.

Quite recently, a friend here in Japan who is a rock guitarist and hair dresser told me what a nice surprized it was to see a tough-looking non-Japanese neighbor covered with tattoos cuddling a baby. It's that kind of a deal.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen in Shikoku - Tattood henro 2013/2/6 00:54
Just ask before you go into the onsen, but understand that if somebody doesn't like your tattoo even if they let you in...you will be asked to leave. As Uco says...there is more to it than them thinking you are yakuza.(really sure they know your not)
Please don't try and argue if they ask you to leave. Sounds like you have traveled in Japan a bit, so I hope you would understand what bad manners to argue with them if asked to leave. Sounds like you are trying to do the right thing so you do understand. i would just try going during the non-busy hours and you might have a better chance. enjoy yourself and good luck.

(I'm tattoo'd also, so I understand)
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen in Shikoku - Tattood henro 2013/2/6 20:20
Thanks for the replies!

I also think it would be best not to argue...maybe it helps if I enter with a cheerful Kombanwa and smile alot, mayvbe try some small talk in the bath. Im just keeping my fingers crossed i wont get turned away from one.

reply to this thread