Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Better Okinawa Honto or Miyako in June? 2013/2/4 20:41
Hi, i'm planning my next trip to Japan for the next June, and since it will be also my honeymoon, i would like to spend four days relaxing on the beach, and i intend to choose Miyako for the beautiful beaches.
However i know that June is not a good period because of the rainy season, so i'm in doubt because i read in previous messagges that Miyako has not much to offer besides the beaches: what we can do in case of rain?
I would like to choose Miyako also for exploring the island by bicycle, since is not so big (we like to travel by bicycle but we are not so trained), but i think that rent a car will be necessary to reach the places more distant, but my boyfriend is a bit worried to drive a car in Japan.
Spend those four days in Okinawa Honto will resolve our problems? We can visit historical sites (which we are quite interested in, but it's not of primary importance, we will visit historical sites also in mainland Japan), the acquarium, and so on, but about the beaches? They worth a visit? We also need a car to reach the better beaches of Okinawa Honto or we can count on public transportation?
What you advise to me, considering that we will spend 3 weeks in Japan and we would like to go to Okinawa or Miyako mainly for the beaches?
P.s.: Could be a good idea going to Okinawa Honto and make a daily trip to Zamami or Tokashiki? How are the beaches of those islands?
Thank you for your help!!!
by kiruccia  

Re: Better Okinawa Honto or Miyako in June? 2013/2/5 11:43
I just went to a long trip to Okinawa in January (it was raining 2 weeks straight! ...).

I went to the main island (Honto), Miyako and Kumejima.
Miyako and Kumejima are really beautiful, but in case of rain there's not much to do. You can try some of the various "Taiken" offers and create your own Shisa.

Miyako has the more beautiful beaches, but Kumejima gets less tourists, so you can enjoy your time together even more, I suppose! :)

Source: Zooming Japan (Travel, Culture & Life) - http://zoomingjapan.com
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Better Okinawa Honto or Miyako in June? 2013/2/6 07:36
I would say avoid Okinawa during the rainy season altogether. But when are you going? If I understand correctly, it's usually over by mid-June (but search around the net for the timing).

Btw, it rains a lot in Okinawa year-round so you might as well expect it. On the other hand, if you really want to go to Okinawa you might have to chance it - it doesn't rain all the time.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Better Okinawa Honto or Miyako in June? 2013/2/6 08:34
Thank you for your answers! I plan to be in Okinawa between 13 and 16 June. A Japanese friend told me that the rainy season in Okinawa is different from the rest of Japan, there are frequent showers but it does not rain all the time. I think that even if it rains we'll find something to do (it's still a honeymoon;)),but at the end the question is: it is worthwhile to go to Miyako or the beaches of Okinawa Honto are also beautiful?
by kiruccia rate this post as useful

Re: Better Okinawa Honto or Miyako in June? 2013/2/6 12:20
Your friend was right. The rainy season in Okinawa is different from the rest of Japan.
Honto also has beautiful beaches, but Miyako is a very small and beautiful island, so if you can get a cheap flight, I'd go! :)
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread