Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which pass should I buy 2013/2/6 18:33
Hi there
I'm going to Kansai during 5-9 Apr.and wll stay in Namba area for 3 nights except day 1.

day 1 - Bkk-KIX-Koyasan (stay koyasan)
day 2 - Koyasan - Kyoto
day 3 - Osaka - Saga Arashiyama - Osaka
day 4 - Yoshino
day 5 - Osaka, leaving for KIX in the afternoon.
Which is more economical and convenient, 3 days Kansai thru pass or Kintetsu wide?
I understand that KTP covers all transportation from day 1-3, but I hv to buy separate ticket for Yoshino and KIX on day 4-5.
For KWP, I hav to buy separate ticket to Koyasan and starting using KWP from day 2-5. Is that right?

Tks, nuj
by nujj  

Re: Which pass should I buy 2013/2/8 07:16
Have you booked accommodation in Koyasan?

A 3-day Kansai Thru Pass is a flexible rail pass. You can use it on Days 1, 2 and 4.

Which places in Kyoto will you visit? It takes about 3 hours to get from Koyasan to Kyoto. The rest of the Day 2 may be too short....

If you take a train on Sagano Scenic Railway, I recommend you would purchase the tickets at a JR-West counter in Kyoto Station.
- http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3965.html
- http://www.sagano-kanko.co.jp/pdf/english.pdf

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Which pass should I buy 2013/2/11 18:23
Dear Omotenashi

Many tks for yr advice.
I've already booked fukuchiin at Koyasan on day 1. I shud arrive there around noon time. Can I do a half day tour there so I can leave for Kyoto early the next morning (right after breakfast)?
For Kyoto, philosopher's path, golden pavillian and saga-arashiyama are highlights for this trip. Other places can b added on if time allow. Yr advice are welcome.
Can I use KTP on Kintetsu line to Yoshino? do I hv to pay extra transportation i.e. cable car, loop bus?
Tks again, nuj
by nujj rate this post as useful

Correction: Yoshino is outside the KTP zone. 2013/2/12 08:23
Correction: Yoshino is outside the KTP zone.
I should have checked it enough....
Yoshino Line is only partly in the zone of a Kansai Thru Pass. Yoshino Station is outside the zone. Sorry for late correction.
If you stroll on Philosopher's Path on Day 2, stay in Namba and on Day 3 see Golden Pavilion and visit Arashiyama, a 3-day Kansai Thru Pass can pay off for Days 1 through 3.

Re: your itinerary 2013/2/12 08:24
For Kyoto, Philosopher's Path, Golden Pavilion and Saga-Arashiyama are highlights for this trip. Other places can be added on if time allow.

The north end of Philosopher's Path is near Silver Pavilion [Ginkaku].
Silver Pavilion and Golden Pavilion [Kinkaku] are located apart.
I suggest you would see Silver Pavilion and stroll on Philosopher's Path in the afternoon of Day 2
then see Golden Pavilion, maybe visit Kitano Tenmangu Shrine and visit Arashiyama on Day 3.

If you hope also to take trains on Sagano Scenic Railway, you had better to stay in Kyoto.

Re: Which pass should I buy 2013/2/12 12:43
Many tks omotenashi. Yr info are much helpful. I hav few more questions.
Does KTP cover JR sagano line?
Re accommodation, I booked a hotel in namba area for 3 nights as I plan to use Osaka as a base. Wll consider to stay in Kyoto for Day 2 as suggested.

nuj

Re: your itinerary 2013/2/13 02:35
Does KTP cover JR Sagano Line?

No.
A KTP is not valid on any JR section.
(Kansai Thru Passes are issued by a convention of non-JR rail and bus operators.)

Sagano Scenic Railway is a non-JR company,
but it does not accept a KTP and its tickets are available at counters of some JR-West stations.
I recommend you would purchase your tickets in Kyoto Station or, if possible, in Kansai-airport Station.
You can avoid JR rides on the way for Sagano, if you hope to, by walking between Randen-Saga Station and Torokko Saga Station.

I have tried to search for accommodation facilities around Shijo-Karasuma.
Some hotels / inns seem not yet ready to be booked for 6 April.
You can get from Koyasan to this area by Nankai, subway and Hankyu (which has Karasuma Station here).
From Shijo-Karasuma you can get close to Kyoto Station / Silver Pavilion / Golden Pavilion at one bus ride.

[Day 3 after Golden Pavilion]

Kinkakuji-michi near Golden Pavilion
: Here are five poles of two bus stops.
- http://www.city.kyoto.jp/kotsu/busdia/busstop/image/kinkaku.gif
: In the map, the temple is shown on green background
and the three poles of Kinkakuji-michi are to the right of the others.
: Buses running for Kitano-Hakubaicho use the pole shown as No. 1 among the three.
{Bus Line No. 205 (counterclockwise): about 5 min.: 3rd stop}
Kitano-Hakubaicho
( {walk} to Kitano Tenmangu Shrine )
{walk}
Kitano-Hakubaicho
{Keifuku (Randen)}
( Katabiranotsuji
: If the train does not continue on for Arashiyma, you will make a transfer here.)
{Keifuku (Randen)}
Randen-Saga
{walk}
Torokko Saga
{Sagano Scenic Railway}
Torokko Kameoka.

Torokko Kameoka
{Sagano Scenic Railway}
Torokko Saga
{walk}
Randen-Saga
{Keifuku (Randen)}
Arashiyama of Keifuku (Randen)
{walk via Togetsukyo Bridge}
Arashiyama of Hankyu
{Hankyu: Local: within 10 min.}
Katsura
: Here you will change platforms to take a train for Umeda.
{Hankyu: Ltd. Express: about 25 min.}
Awaji
: You can make a transfer to a train bound for Tengachaya at the same platform.
{Hankyu + Subway Sakaisuji Line: Local: about 15 min.}
Nipponbashi
{Subway Sennichimae Line: Local: about 1 min.}
Namba.

Re: Which pass should I buy 2013/2/21 12:50
Sorry, I'm late. It was so busy during Chinese New Year that I didn't read nor answer any mail. Now I'm back.
I truly appreciate your time an effort. Thanks for your kindness.

1. I plan to buy KTP and a ticket of Saga Scenic Railway at Kansai airport.
2. From airport to Koyasan, is it correct that I take Nankai train for Namba and make a transfer at Tengachaya station to bound for a train to Koyasan? Where can I find which platform the Koya line will arrive at that station?
3. Kyoto accom. I've booked 9 Hours Kyoto Teramachi which is close to Kawaramachi station. Is it o.k.?
4. For Saga Scenic Railway, can I get on and off on Torokko train? Or from Torokko Saga shud I go straight to Torokko Kameoka and get off at Torokko arashiyama on the way back to Torokko Saga? I plan to walk form Torokko arashiyama to Torokko Saga.

RE: your questions 2013/2/22 05:29
is it correct that I take Nankai train for Namba and make a transfer at Tengachaya station to bound for a train to Koyasan?

Yes.
On a map that appears a bit roundabout, but Tengachaya is the only stop for changing lines if you take a Nankai express from Kansai-airport.

Where can I find which platform the Koya line will arrive at that station?

You will make the transfer from Track 4 to Track 1, changing platforms.
- http://www.nankai.co.jp/traffic/station/tengachaya/images/kounaizu.gif

I've booked 9 Hours Kyoto Teramachi which is close to Kawaramachi Station.

The hotel seems to be designed almost only for sleeping.... (I have never seen the term "Sleeping Pod" before in advertisement on accommodation.)
Anyway, you will have meals outside the hotel. I suppose you can find good food in a kiosk of Kyoto Station or a branch of a convenience store just near the hotel.

Exit 10 of Kawaramachi Station sounds best for the hotel. This exit is open to the north at the corner of south-north Teramachi-dori and east-west Shijo-dori.
You will turn around to the south, walk on Teramachi-dori for about 100 meters and find the hotel and the convenience store on your right.

From the hotel, bus stop poles for Silver Pavilion and for Golden Pavilion are about 400 to 500 meters away.
You will walk in the north on Teramachi-dori, cross Shijo-dori, turn right and walk for about 200 meters, see a branch of Mizuho Bank on your left, and turn left along the curve to south-north Kawaramachi-dori.
: Buses running on Line 17 for Ginkakuji-michi (near Silver Pavilion) make a stop at the second-nearest pole of Kyoto City Bus along Kawaramachi-dori. (It takes about 20 minutes by bus.)
: Buses running counterclockwise on Line 205 for Kinkakuji-michi (near Golden Pavilion) make a stop at the nearest pole of Kyoto City Bus along Kawaramachi-dori. (It takes about 35 minutes by bus.)
: You can ask a driver "Going for Ginkakuji / Kinkakuji?" while the door is open.
- http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

from Torokko Saga should I go straight to Torokko Kameoka?
I plan to walk form Torokko Arashiyama to Torokko Saga.

You can take a train from Torokko Saga to Torokko Hozukyo with one ticket for about 10 minutes, walk around the station for about 15 minutes and take a train back to Torokko Arashiyama with another ticket for several minutes. (Check the timetables on the PDF leaflet.)

P.S. 2013/2/22 05:38
I forgot a link.
- http://9hours.jp/accesses/
East-west Shijo-dori and south-north Kawaramachi-dori are shown in yellow on Google Map used in the webpage.

Re: Which pass should I buy 2013/2/26 18:40
Hi omotenashi
I have new questions.
What if I go to Arashiyama erly in the morning
a) Karasuma - Katsura - Arashiyama by Hankyu line or
b) ShijoOmiya - Arashiyama by Keifuku line
and back from Arashiyama to Kinkakuji by Keifuku line, get off at Ryoanji.
From Ryoanji to Kinkakuji, i prefer to take a bus. Where can I find info about bus no. and bus stop?
From Kinkakuji, how can I get back to Osaka namba?

Thanks, nuj

RE: your questions 2013/3/3 02:56
You will make a long chain of trips on Day 3, so if your Osaka hotel is OK, you had better keep your extra luggage in the hotel.

What if I go to Arashiyama early in the morning?
From Ryoanji to Kinkakuji, i prefer to take a bus.

Arashiyama Station of Hankyu is located to the south of Katsura River.
Arashiyama Station and Randen Saga Station of Keifuku (Randen) are located to the north of Katsura River.
Torokko Saga Station of Sagano Scenic Railway is located near Randen Saga Station of Keifuku (Randen).
- http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html
It is about 5 minutes on a bus to get from a bus stop close to Kitano-Hakubaicho Station of Keifuku (Randen) to Kinkakuji-michi bus stop.
(On a map showing routes of Kyoto City bus and subway, I cannot find a bus stop located close to Ryoanji Station).

From Kinkakuji, how can I get back to Osaka namba?

From Kinkakuji-michi bus stop it is about 14 minutes on a bus to get to Nishi-Oji Shijo bus stop. The bus runs southbound on Nishi-Oji-dori, approaching to east-west Shijo-dori.
You will get off the bus and walk to Shijo-dori and find an entrance of Saiin Station of Hankyu. (Keifuku also has Saiin Station, which is located a bit apart.) You will need to go down via staircases to the platform for Track 2.
- http://rail.hankyu.co.jp/station/pdf/map/saiin.pdf
You can change trains at the same platform in Katsura to a faster train for Umeda. You will make transfers twice more, at the same platform in Katsura in Awaji and changing platforms in Nippombashi.

One possible route on Day 3 is
from your Kyoto hotel to Karasuma Station on foot,
from Karasuma via Katsura to Arashiyama by Hankyu,
via Togetsukyo Bridge over Katsura River to Torokko Saga Station on foot,
from Torokko Saga to Torokko Hozukyo by Sagano Scenic Railway,
around the station on foot,
from Torokko Hozukyo to Torokko Saga by Sagano Scenic Railway,
to Randen Saga Station on foot,
from Randen Saga via Katabiranotsuji to Kitano-Hakubaicho by Randen (Keifuku),
from Kitano-Hakubaicho (bus stop pole located to the north of the station, on the west side of Nishi-Oji-dori)
to Kinkakuji-michi on Bus Line No. 205 (clockwise),
in and around Kinkakuji on foot,
from Kinkakuji-michi (another bus stop pole used by Line No. 205)
to Nishi-Oji Shijo on Bus Line No. 205 (counterclockwise),
to Saiin Station of Hankyu on foot,
from Saiin via Katsura and Awaji to Nipponbashi by Hankyu and subway Sakaisuji Line,
to Namba by subway Sennichimae Line,
to your Osaka hotel on foot.

Good luck!

Correction: typos 2013/3/3 03:05
Letme delete the second "in Katsura" and replace "Nipponbashi" by "Nippombashi."

reply to this thread