Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 5: Posts 1 - 20 of 98

1 2 3 4 5
next

How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/7 21:47
I've applied to ICU's September term as a regular student, and the application results will be out around end-Apr to May.
I'm really anxious and I'd like to know what my chances of getting in are so I know whether or not to start applying to other Universities too (because if my chances aren't too low then I don't want to waste a few hundred dollars on the applications).
Overall, my grades in my last year of Junior College (equivalent to last year of High School) were pretty bad, but I got CCC/AA for my 'A'-levels. Fortunately, I also got 2110 for my SATs but when I emailed ICU, they said they would be looking primarily at my 'A's instead of SATs.
I think my two recommendation letters were pretty enthusiastic and my Personal Statement and Essay were above average (vetted by my genius father, haha).
My only insecurity is my Cs for my 'A's (the two As were for my H1 subjects GP and Math). My 'O' levels, on the other hand, were above average but I don't think they'll be looking at that too much.

I'd really appreciate constructive feedback as to how high/low my chances of getting in will be. I'm wrought with anxiety and I need something to expect for the next 2 months. D:

Thanks!
by KyomoNoa  

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/13 17:23
Hey!

I can't offer any helpful information, but I thought it might be nice to meet someone who shared the same anxieties. I also applied to ICU's September intake, and I'm extremely nervous about the entire ordeal. My grades are average, but I have a lot of experience with Japanese language and culture, and I tried to make my essays sounds as enthusiastic as possible. I really hope it's all enough ;_;

Sorry again, I've been interested in the same thing, and I can't find ay useful information at all about whether or not it's difficult or easy to be accepted. They certainly did have a very rigorous application process though-everything had to be extremely exact! I hope I didn't miss anything anywhere. I don't want to be turned away because of a simple mistake D: the one thing I did hear about ICU is that the office administration was very...rigid? But I hope we both made good impressions with our applications!

You're applying from the UK it seems? I'm from the US ^^ it'd be awesome if we both were accepted! :D I really hope so!
by Ashlynn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/13 20:03
I am currently a grad student at ICU. My feeling about undergraduate admission is that while the process is rigid, it is far easier for September students to be admitted than for April entry students. As far as grades are concerned, I am afraid that judgement probably has more to do with how you compare to the other applicants for the particular admission period.

Ashlynn is correct in that the administration is very rigid. Paperwork must be filled out and submitted with the utmost attention to detail and timing. On the plus side, the staff are also very kind in answering questions you might have about application qualifications or life at ICU.

Good luck to you both.
by Midori (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 03:02
Thanks Ashlynn and Midori for your answers!!

Ashlynn:
It's great to hear from another applicant! I wish you all the best and hope we both get in.
I'm actually applying from Singapore, where the SEAB 'A'-levels are different and arguably more difficult than the Cambridge 'A'-levels :/ I just received my receipt of application email from ICU, meaning all my documents should be there. I too hope I didn't make any silly mistakes and really really pray for kindness in the application process, haha!

Midori:
I see... Do you think the grades have equal weightage as the essay, personal statement and recommendation letters? Because I've heard some ICU applicants mention that they pay more attention to the recommendation letters... And yes, I've experienced their helpfulness because I've asked them a lot of questions, haha!! Thanks for the constructive answer ^_^
by KyomoNoa rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 04:48
Oh, Singapore! Awesome! Oh dang, I hope they email me soon too :[ according to the postal website, my documents arrived there two days ago, so I am really anxious to hear that everything was done correctly and will be processed. If they pay greater attention to recommendation letters though, then that would be great. By the way, have you been following any blogs from ICU students? I only found one, but haven't really come across any others, and I'm sure there are more out there! I love hearing more about the University from student's POV.

Midori: Thank you for the response! I'm not the OP, but I found it very helpful as well ^^ thank you for your encouragement!

by Ashureii rate this post as useful

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 04:49
(Ah, "Ashureii" is me,"Ashlynn." Lol, I forgot my log-in yesterday, so I used the nickname I thought I used here ^_^;;; I was a little off!)

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 12:54
Hi! My documents actually arrived on the 8th of March but I was only notified yesterday (13th), so don't worry too much that they haven't contacted you. I was worrying every day that they didn't email me until yesterday, haha!
I've actually read the blogs of quite a few ICU students, but I'm not actively following them so I don't remember the URLs. I think there was one named Rei, and abritabroad11, as well as a few others I don't rmb. :/ What about you?

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 13:57
Oh, that's good to know :'D! Today's the deadline, so I hope they are just busy with last minute applications such as mine lol.

Wow, I'll check those out! The main blog I have been following is 'Alysse Abroad.' She takes TONS of pictures and videos, so it's really helpful in getting to see the different dorms (I now know which dorm NOT to pick Lol), the campus, and the surrounding areas. There was another blog I found, but now don't remember where it was either. I'm one of those crazy people who likes to gather as much information as possible about stuff, so I get a little carried away with research and such ^^;;; so I've been active in looking for new blogs that might provide new information :D

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 14:02
I know what you mean!!! I've been scouring the net for information for months too! XD
Yes, Alysse Abroad was one of those I forgot!! I saw her videos of the dorms too, but I want to see pictures/vids of the 3WD and 4WD too, which I can't seem to find AT ALL. D:

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 14:16
Haha XD we're awesome lol.

Yes, 4WD and 3WD are impossible to find! Alysse stayed in three of the new dorms, so now I know what those look like (all very nice), but they were all the expensive ones. The only thing I know about 3WD and 4WD is that they're older, smaller, and there aren't private showers/baths; it's all communal. I haven't been able to find out anything else though.

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 15:22
If I'm not wrong, 3WD has private showers but 4WD doesn't...
The tuition fee is alr quite costly so I'll be aiming for 3WD if I get in. :/

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 15:52
Ah, really? If 3WD has them, then I'll definitely try there if I am accepted (*prays*). Some girls said that once you get used to communal showers it's no big deal, but...=_= I still think it's awkward. I would wear a bathing suit lol. In any case, ICU dorms are still cheaper than guest houses and apartments, so any dorm in the end would be a blessing *o*

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 17:33
Haha yeah true!!! The Zelkova dorm looks amazing *_*
Yeah I don't think I'll care after some time haha. I was from 10 years of girls' schools anyway so I'm used to stuff like this...

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 18:24
Haha, Zelkova is the one dorm people say not to go to ^^;;; because even though it's very new, it is very strict. Just see this blog post from Rei: http://reiyd.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/zelkova-keyaki-house-icu-detaile...

Ginko house and Global house I thought looked the best :D Ginko is really advanced and has a huuuuge kitchen filled with all sorts of equipment, but Global house is a fun apartment style. It'd be really nice to stay in one of those, but the cost is 2x the 3WD cost ;-;

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/14 22:27
Yeah, that's the Rei blog I was talking about! But apparently it's a lot more slack than the 3WD/4WD cos those are older dorms... And they loosened up about the new dorm rules alr in Zelkova!

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/15 05:43
Dang, are 3WD and 4WD strict too? Haha, I guess it's fine then, as long as there is no lock out or anything (that scares me), I'm not really a party-into-the-night type of person ^^;;

But I just got an email from ICU! They received my application ^^ they already they have some questions about it @_@ Augh, I'm nervous!!

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/15 10:33
Haha I think they lock out at 11? I dunno if they changed the rules or sth..
Yeah they had some questions about mine too and said they'd email my school about it D:

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/15 14:23
Whaaa x_x oh no! I'm a pretty quiet person, but that worries me if somehow I end up out later than 11! I understand why they do it, but I'd be scared if I got locked out during winter.

Yeah, I'm scared X_X!! They're asking my more about what examinations I took, tests, and requirements for that. I worked so hard to send in everything, I don't want to be turned away due to a technicality Dx I'll pray for both of us!!

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/15 14:33
Oh they asked you directly? Or are they asking your sch?
Thanks! I'll be praying too~
And haha omg we're spamming this thread.

Re: How hard is it to get into ICU? 2012/3/15 14:45
They asked me directly 0_0 I offered to provide more information from my school, but I don't know what they'll do...it makes me very nervous.

Haha, we really are xD maybe some more ICU applicants will pop in? I wish there were more forums for this sort of thing!

Page 1 of 5: Posts 1 - 20 of 98

1 2 3 4 5
next

reply to this thread