Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 196 of 233: Posts 3901 - 3920 of 4652
prev
1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 233
next

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/1/28 17:32
I'm happy you have interest about Japanese and Katakana.

I mistake Peter-san's name, Saunders : ƒTƒ“ƒ_[ƒX: is family name.
I think he knows it well.

Oh, This reaction is over 3900. I'm wishing for health of all Americans who love Japan.

I heard heavy snow on east coast by the TV. Heavy snow fell in the south and the west Japan and water pipe also froze.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

kana 2016/1/29 00:39
i believe kanji is a mystery to most americans, yet we are fasinated by the style and design,as in the trend to use kanji in tattoos.
we had some japanese friends over and naturally the subject of language came up. we sat down and they tried to teach me how to write in japanese. so..they wrote down a kanji and i tried to copy it. i had no idea as to the proper progression of strokes. and the resulting kanji was crude and bad. however, it was a tremendous source of amusement ,and they howled at my japanese, it was great fun. then came the english lesson. i wrote out the alphabet and explained that using only 26 letters we could write any word. they looked at me as if i was trying to fool them. '' how can that be'' ? a little demonstration helped.

we missed the big storm. after last years 110 inches it was fine by us. dave san got a lot im sure.
by peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/1/29 01:14
Hi everyone!

I'm a youngin' (23) living and working on Yokosuka Naval Base. If I may ask what was your most memorable or favorite place you visited while in Japan?

I'm traveling to as many places as possible, but I don't really want to fall for the tourist traps and instead visit places that have special meaning. (whether to you or others)

I've been to Enoshima already. Kamakura giant buddha is down for maintenance, and Hakone ropeway is closed due to volcanic activity.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
by Thomas Chang rate this post as useful

tom 2016/1/29 02:25
hi and welcome
a couple of thoughts.
first, find a good tour guide book. this will help define the paiameters of what you might want to see/or not see.
next ,find a person on base like a travel agent to advise you.and make reservations.
for my part.
- the summit of mt fuji at dawn.
-sado island
-camping on an island in matsushima bay.
-the chosi coast.
more later...
finally..work onyour japanese. especially with your enthnicity,to prevent confusion.

tom 2016/1/29 03:30
more...
my advice
take one week, and explore various japanese activites, music martial arts, calligraphy, woodworking,cooking ect. choose ONE
to persue in your off hours every day for an hour. at the end of your tour, you might come away with a ''degree'' in your chosen field.
this you canhave to treaser forever. in later life.
i wish i had studied the koto.
dont discount the touristy stuff. enjoy as you go.
what skill do you favor?

Re: Thomas Chang 2016/1/29 15:54
My suggestions: Climb Mount Fuji when it gets warmer. Visit Peace Park in Hiroshima. Visit Yokohama often.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Japan travel 2016/1/29 16:58
Hi, Welcome to JG

My American friend came to Japan last year.

They trip to Nikko, Yokohama, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Himeji and Kanazawa. Nikko is little cold and Kanazawa is heavy snow in winter.

My house is Yokohama city, I often go to Yokosuka.

Sannotani 91 2016/4/4 06:41
Hello, everyone

I found Eric san's house in Sannotani at last. Yokohama navy housing area was returned to 1980s to Yokohama city. And the address are changed big. Eric and his family house was Sannotani 91.

I heard about his address for Mr. Otani conversant with navy housingand PX in Honnmoku. I thought Eric's house was by Sankeien garden, and looked for the vicinity several times, but his house was the route in avenue D.

Special thanks Mr. Otani.

91 Sannotani 2016/4/4 21:01
Our house and yard are now Murohashi Clinic.
Like the streetcars and the rails they travelled on, much has changed in Yokohama from when I was there.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sannotani 91 2016/4/18 13:00
Kaoru-san,
Congratulations on finding Eric-san's house in Sannotani. We have looked for it for a long time. I am now trying to find it on a map to learn where it was located in relation to the Navy Exchange and Yohi and to see a picture but have not been successful. I found a number of possible Murohashi Clinics but none are on Avenue D.
Do you have a Google Earth link?

Dave san 2016/4/19 08:45
Hi, Thank you for your answer.

I've been to Lake Suwa from Monday stayed one night, I got home just now.

This link is map of Murohashi Clinic. This is Japanese and red point is old address of 91 Sannotani. Now this address is 23-16 Sannotani.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/%E5%AE%A4%E6%A9%8B%E5%86%85%E7%A7%...

Earth quake of Kumamoto is serious. Transportation of relief resource is difficult. U.S. forces Osprey active in Kumamoto and Oita, I believe.

23-16 Sannotani 2016/4/19 15:05
Kaoru-san, thank you. The area looks much different than I remember from 1954. Very modern and prosperous today.
The Osprey is good aircraft for emergency relief. I'm glad we can help in Kumamoto.

USMC 2016/4/21 08:54
Dave-san

Thank you, The Osprey is excellent. Kyushu is strong raining. We're anxious about landslide disaster.

I think you detailed about computer search. Did you officer or worked information collection unit? If you don't want to answer about my question, please ignore this posting.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/4/21 13:08
Yea Dave
Were you a spook?
The world needs to know. People still believe I was a food inspector.

Osprey 2016/4/23 03:24
Kaoru-san, the Osprey is an excellent aircraft with an interesting history. It was considered unsafe during its long development and initially not welcomed in Japan. It has since proven itself both as a disaster relief aircraft and also as a safe military aircraft.
I did not work in intelligence (information collection) in the Marine Corps. I worked on aircraft electronics systems, primarily the radar and computers used for weapons guidance. I've always had an interest in maps and history and I love computer searches as a source of information. Unfortunately, with the world at my fingertips now I don't have time to read any more.

Spook 2016/4/23 03:27
Peter-san, I've known all along your food inspector job was a cover as it was obvious that Army mess hall food never would have passed any kind of a food inspection. I guess it won't compromise national security now to disclose that you were really the secret shopper at the Navy Exchange.

Arigatou 2016/4/23 07:05
Dave-san

Thank you very much.

Your job is wonderful. I know helicopter got the evaluate by the battle of jungle in VN war. I believe there are little critical people of V-22 Ospry now. The performance is Kyushu would be proved. The roads were destroyed by earthquakes. The relief resource to mountainous region is difficult for land transportation.

I worked head office of NEC(Nippon Electric Company).
My job was a section of employee benefits and computer sell. I was retired this company and management the real estate business now.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/4/24 02:20
now the truth can be told. food inspection was just a cover.
iwas really an undercover liquior quality insurance investigator assigned to check out every bar in yokohama . i fell short , ididnt get to them all and thus did not receive the prestigous ''elbow''
medal. but my elbow still is a little sore..still

typo 2016/4/24 02:28
thats assurance not insurance derr..

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/4/26 10:39
I didn't think the Osprey would make it to where it is today.
Just looking at the machine, it does not look like it wants to fly.
by Erc (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 196 of 233: Posts 3901 - 3920 of 4652
prev
1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 233
next

reply to this thread