Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 198 of 233: Posts 3941 - 3960 of 4651
prev
1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 ... 233
next

Welcome back Steffi and Barbara 2016/7/2 14:04
Great seeing you both here again. I have many good memories of Yokohama and Yamate-cho. It's nice hearing yours and seeing the videos that Kaoru-san posted. I would like to visit Yokohama again but a YoHi reunion is not how I want to do it.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/3 04:51
Has anyone already posted this link about Kishine Barracks?
http://wetherall.org/prose/Wetherall_2015_Kishine_Barracks.html
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Kishine Barracks 2016/7/3 12:07
Thank you Guest for posting Kishine Barracks link.
http://wetherall.org/prose/Wetherall_2015_Kishine_Barracks.html
Great Article.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Kashini 2016/7/4 08:23
This is nothing short of an incredible piece of history and JG's administrators should be proud to have it posted here.

I had many recollections of places mentioned in the retrospective. Although my folks and I were gone by the war in VN, it is amazing to recall the role played by Kashini Barracks and the folks who worked there during those years.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/5 13:39
Thank you, Barbara, Eric, Dave, Kaoru-san....

I am glad to be back. I envy your detailed and vivid memories, esp of places, views, events, names and events. My recollections are more limited to personal events and relationships, and I was only dimly aware of the meanings of much that I saw....as I may have mentioned, I have connected with several people who I knew as a child.

I ran into the following, which might be of interest, especially to Eric....about the occupation families who lived in Japan and elsewhere during the Japanese occupation and later on...

https://books.google.com/books?id=XMGiEPjoZ1cC&pg=PA239&lpg=PA239&dq=s...

Steffi
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/5 14:13
Hi - has anyone posted the following?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMw6EhcxL9M

Memories of Bill Chickering 2016/7/5 18:49
When I was kid, dad and I saw war film in Bill Chickering. That was Pearl Harbor attack, Tora, Tora, Tora. Many people booed then and dad talked to me about the movie conversantly.

I knew about a director of the movie later. That was an offer to Akira Kurosawa. But he declined hard. Kurosawa didn't produce the movie, it was only.

When I've been to US first time, I thought. Japanese fought against this great country. I thought that was very big mistake of history.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/12 17:53
Hello,

Pictures of Yokohama and Yokosuka in 1970s, I feel nostalgic them.
But this link is miscellaneous information in Japanese.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/nwknews/archives/5063501.html

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/12 23:11
another womderful post and links buy kaoru-san
the photostyle of the bar shots was especially gritty. i dont remember these bars looking so seedy..wellunder the circumstances
there is a lot i might not recall. thanks kaoru-san.
by peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/16 14:25
Hi all-
My siblings and I lived at 333 Bayside Courts from 1966-1970. The most magical part of my growing up years. We lived in a neighborhood with the Duncans, the Boylans and many other kids. I have so many amazing memories... the bus coming up Firemans Hill, the Bamboos (and the story about the killer Akitas and the bamboo snakes, Oban Adori, the Stop N Shop where you could get cupcakes for 10 cents, the Zebra club where you got Shirley temples with plastic mermaids and animals, the Chickering Theatre where I watched so many double features, the O Club and the floor shows on Sunday where they brought in magicians and always played the Mexican Hat dance and gave away Kennedy Half Dollars. The cute Japanese tennis shoes that were slip ons with cartoon characters. Does anyone remember the Plateau which was a flat area right before you got down to the base area. There were a bunch of steps that went by a temple . I remember snow days and checking out 10 books at a time at the library (mostly Nancy Drew( because we had no TV, but we stayed up listening to The Shadow and Mr Gildersleeves on Air Force Radio. I remember going to Yokohama Tower, Camp Tama and Tokyo Tower. Best time and place ever to grow up in.

For anyone who wants to read a novel that evokes this time and place highly recommend Yakota Officers Club by Sarah Bird
by Kim F (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/17 00:26
Hi Kim....nice to hear from you and welcome.....thanks for the book recommendation.

The following is a description and some reviews of the book you mentioned....

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/445730.The_Yokota_Officers_Club

To Kim F. 2016/7/18 08:05
Kim,
Did you live at Bayside Courts or was it Bayview (Heights) above Area 2 housing? I remember Bayside Courts (in the 1980's) as the place where unaccompanied housing, the Navy Lodge, Library, Security (police), Hillside Chapel (a former Chief's Club), NISOJ and buildings used for storage (I don't know their previous use) were located...
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Bayside Court 2016/7/18 10:40
Today is holiday of Marine Day, Yokohama is fine.

Yes. I remember Bayside Courts, too. There were building of blue painting, that place is the location as "Shin Yamashita". There was a small tunnel in the neighborhood. And Bund Hotel was around it. My family had dinner officers club once.

http://hama80s.exblog.jp/20551726/

Bayside Courts 2016/7/20 10:40
Thank you Karou for the pics of Bayside. I lived there '68-'69.
by Joe G. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/21 00:28
thank you kaoru-san for posting the collection of photographs. i spent a few minutes and found a photograph of the place i worked at center pier. the place is so grim i almost didn recognize it. the docks at yokohama were not a pretty place. but when your young and dumb it didnt seem to matter. now the place is a harbor walk, still a little seedy but very nice , i gave myself a scare. that was 47 years ago. i better watch it or i'll grow up.
by peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/21 11:05
Hello, Joe and Peter-san

You're welcome, I'm glad because you have good memories in Yokohama.
It's rainy, cloudy and cool I can't still see midsummer.

Bund Hotel 2016/7/29 15:17

Kaoru, so much fun to read your reference to the Bund Hotel. Is the Bund Hotel still in business? My father, who was a Naval officer at the MSTS port, stayed at the Bund Hotel for months before my mother, sister, and I arrived in 1952, and we moved into a house on Yamate-cho on the Bluff. When you mentioned the officers' club, was it also called the Dragon Club? My Yokohama High School class had its junior prom dinner and dance at the officers' club, and I'm not sure but think it was also called the Dragon Club. Does anyone know for sure? Those were the days, much like the Victorian Age, when girls each had a dance card, and the boys signed up for their turn to dance. Usually the first and last dances were reserved for the boy who brought you to the party.
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/29 21:55
Hi, Barbara-san and all

The rainy season of Yokohama was over at last. That's slower than an ordinary year.

Thank you great story,

Because I was kid, I do not remember it in detail, but I think that it was Golden Dragon.

Unfortunately Bund Hotel closed in 1999, that was a hotel with old history. I was copy and uploaded some pictures. It brings back memories , little randomly.

http://photozou.jp/photo/top/3125106

Golden Dragon 2016/7/29 23:27
Yes; the name was "Golden Dragon." We dined there dozens of times during our time in Japan.

Sorry to hear that the Bund is gone. It was not as fancy as the old Imperial Hotel, Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece from 1923. The Imperial was demolished in 1968.

I note Barbara's reference to MSTS. My folks and I made six trips via MSTS 1951-1961, most all originating or arriving at Seattle.
The ships were named for Army generals, leading to their mostly innacurate description as "the Army's Navy."
The ships included the General G. M. Randall, the General William O. Darby, the General Edwin D. Patrick, the General Mason M. Patrick (nicknamed the Mickey Mouse) and our last trip via the General William A. Mann.
The trip on the Mann stopped for a day in Honolulu, then sailed on to Oakland, California.
by Eric Davis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/7/31 09:35
This is the same base where the Zebro club was
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 198 of 233: Posts 3941 - 3960 of 4651
prev
1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 ... 233
next

reply to this thread