Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

Re: Matsue Itinerary 2017/1/18 21:42
I really think itfs a pity to skip Izumo Taisha. A visit to this shrine was the whole reason I went up there in the first place and I absolutely loved it. The interest may not lie in the building or site itself, but the meaning and history behind it. There are no records of exactly when Izumo Taisha was built, but it is often considered the oldest shrine in Japan. According to Shinto myths, the Japanese islands were controlled from Izumo and even today all kami (gods) gather at the shrine once a year (usually november). The shimenawa rope is very impressive and itfs one of the few places where everyone follows the sei-chu rule (i.e., do not walk through the center of the torii, rather walk on the side since the middle is reserved for the kami).
As such, if one is to visit the shrine without knowing all of this, it may not seem as amazing as everyone says it is, but with an interest in history or mythology the place really feels special.
Izumo Taisha is always open. While youfd have to visit the museums before the 5pm closing time, you could easily visit the shrine after this or during the night. Especially if you have a car, you wonft be restricted by train timetables.
by FancyLampshade rate this post as useful

Re: Matsue Itinerary 2017/1/18 23:46
also Izumo Taisha is THE shrine for good luck with love (so plenty of singles there looking for love, if you are interested in that).

AND it is / was one of the biggest of all shrines. further it is the second most important shrine after Ise.

so as i said: OP should rather try to get 3 days there instead of 2 and everything will be great!
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Matsue / Izumo etc. Itinerary 2017/1/19 00:33
Hmm, you've got me thinking again about Izumo Shrine !
Let me see if I can rework my itinerary.

1) Re : timetable for the bus between matsue castle and Yushien gardens; can someone pls translate it for me ?
There seems to be 2 timetables there in the link, which one is valid for mid June and how much is the bus fare ?
Presumably a one day Matsue bus pass (or similar) is not valid for use on this bus ?

2) How much would taxi cost instead from the vicinity of Matsue castle to the Yushien Garden ?

3) Where is the best spot to watch the sunset over Lake Shinji ?
Is it within walking distance from JR Matsue station ?

There is apparently a platform for this south of the Shimane Museum, but I guess it will be pack with locals and tourists ?

4) Is the Shijimi Clam Centre worth a visit ?
I note that there is a 'Matsue Local Product Centre' there too; any major difference as compared to the Shimane Prefecture shop near Matsue Castle ?

5) If I extend my stay in Matsue by an extra day, is Mihonoseki area worth a visit ?
For what it's worth, we will be coming into the mainland from OKi island, though it will be by ferry and bus to Matsue.

6) The Matsue tourism website mentions a Taikoya Shoyu shop at Mihonoseki harbour; worth driving there all the way for it ?

7) Any recommendation for a good eating place in or near Matsue for dinner serving local food, where locals frequent ?
No English is OK.

8) Has anyone driven along the 'Hiruzen Daisen Skyline Mountain Drive' ?
Which route is best taken is I am coming from Matsue to Adachi Museum and then the mountain route/drive ?

Is Daisen Masumizu Kogen along the way ?

Guess that is the best way to appreciate Mt Daisen if we are not hiking up the mountain ?

Considering dropping Misasa Onsen if time does not permit

Thanks.
by lifesucketh rate this post as useful

Re: Matsue Itinerary 2017/1/19 00:45
1) use google translate: there is only one row that says "garden" and you know the station sign ‰w and the castle sign also

i think there are tickets that includes this bus, but not the regular tourist bus. however the bus trip is not very expensive as far as i remember.

2) insane amount. it is a 25 minute drive. but maybe you can agree on a flat tax with a cab driver.

3) on the way to yushien there are very beautiful sunset spots, since it is on the isle. however a bus would not stop there. the place before the Shimane Art Museum is also very famous for the sunsets on the lake.

4) you barely have time for the most important things. i would not bother with that

5) not unless there is a festival. and also not with your limit time budget

6) see above

7) https://tabelog.com/en/rstLst/?utf8=✓&maxLat=35.6044648&minLat=...

8) i would drop Mt Daisen at all and also the onsen, and would recommend you make a day in izumo and maybe tamatsukurionsen (since it is close to each other) - especially since it seems all of a sudden that you dont have a car?
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Matsue Itinerary 2017/1/19 01:13
3) Where is the best spot to watch the sunset over Lake Shinji ?
Is it within walking distance from JR Matsue station ?

The best spot is said to be the museum, but I just went to Shiragata Park, which is +/- 15 minutes from Matsue train station on foot (and it is flat). When you exit the station by the north exit, just take a left on the big road and walk until you reach the lake. There is a large seating area (like big steps) along the lake and you can just sit and watch, it is really impressive when the wheather is goo with a few clouds.
by Vienna Logan rate this post as useful

Matsue Itinerary 2017/1/20 00:26
Thanks for the information.

1) We will still rent a car especially when driving to Izumo or Mt Daisen area and onwards to Tottori.
However, am comtemplating if we should rent a car while we are exploring Matsue city as Yushien Gardens seem 'inaccessible' with the infrequent bus services.

2) Izumo is to the west of Matsue while Mt Daisen is to the east.
So we will still have to pass by Mt Daisen etc. when driving towards Tottori.
Izumo will be reserved for a full /0.5 day exploration on a separate day, when we will use Matsue as the base.
Hence my question on the 'Hiruzen Daisen Skyline Mountain Drive' and 'Daisen Masumizu Kogen'.

Cheers.

Questions on Matsue city 2017/3/26 17:17
Hi.

1) Does anyone know if there is free parking in the vicinity of Matsue castle on a Saturday in June ?
e.g. near the Samurai Residence or Shimane Prefectural Products Centre

If not, how much does parking cost approximately and where can I find parking ?

Thinking of renting a car to drive from Matsue to Yushien Garden instead of relying on the public bus.
Taking the bus does not seem to save us a lot of money (party of 3 adults) and the bus timetable seems quite infrequent.
Will then drive to Matsue castle area after visiting the gardens.

2) I note there is a Matsue Kodawari Market near the JR Matsue station.
What items are normally sold at this market ?
Does anyone know its opening hours and days in June ?

3) Assuming I visit the Shimane Prefectural Products Centre, should I still visit the Shinjiko Shijimi-kan Clam Centre ?
Does the Shimane centre shop sell almost everything (shijimi) that are available at the clam centre ?
Where do the locals normally go to buy their local stuff ?

4) I see on a map that there is an Observation Floor 14F near the Shinjiko Ohashi bridge.
What building is this and the entry free ?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

reply to this thread