Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 45
prev
1 2 3
next

why is this a mystery 2006/6/9 02:56
I was starting to feel like an internet idiot by not being able to find a recipe for seaweed salad. So thank you all for making me feel better and thank you Sue for finding the recipe.
by Big Daddy rate this post as useful

Making progress... 2006/6/9 03:44
Image Google "ao tosaka" I think this is what we have been looking for...
by Ian rate this post as useful

I know this! Chinese seaweed salad. 2006/6/17 06:52
Trudy, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! I think this is a KELP seaweed. It is definitely NOT wakame. You buy it fresh, not dried, in oriental food markets. It smells wonderful like the fresh ocean air. I just made some. I believe it is from Taiwan, or Fujian Province in China. If this is the seaweed you are talking about, it is definitely crunchy and like long thick noodles. Nice green color and the edges are serrated or saw-tooth shape almost. This is how I make it:

1. Rinse the quantity of seaweed you want to prepare.
I boil a pot of water and remove it from the heat. Then I soak the seaweed strands in the hot water to clean and soften it a bit. Soak for about 5-10 minutes. Then rinse with cold water and DRAIN to dry off a little.

2. Peel and thinly slice some cucumber - you decide how much. The cucumber adds nice texture and flavor complement.

3. This is the creative part: You need to make a vinegar and oil based dressing. I use a combination of rice vinegar and Chinkiang vinegar (Chinese black vinegar). Only a few spoonfuls for a medium bowl of seaweed. Add a teaspoon or so of light soy sauce. Add chili & garlic paste - maybe 1/2 a teaspoon or less. Put twice the amount of sesame oil, or a mix of sesame oil and regular good cooking oil, like peanut oil. You need to taste this and adjust the amounts to what you like. It's just like when you make any vinegar-oil salad dressing. It's great if you can add a little rice wine or Japanese sake. Then, you must add sugar. 2-4 teaspoons of white sugar. I use 1/2 the sugar because I use some liquid Stevia extract instead. Mix well, and please adjust to taste. If too salty, don't add anymore soy sauce and add more vinegar or rice wine. If too ''musky'' then there is too much sesame oil - add more vinegar or wine/sake or chili & garlic paste. If it's too oily or bland, add more vinegar, chili paste etc. Just play with it.

4. Put the seaweed in the bowl with the cucumber and add this dressing. Pour on a generous amount of sesame seeds (not the black sesame seeds). Mix very well. You can chill in the refrigerator, but I think it is tastier if room temperature. For best flavor, make this ahead of time and let it sit for a day in the refrigerator to let the flavors develop.

ENJOY!!!!!
by Loretta Donnelly rate this post as useful

type of seaweed? 2006/6/20 08:39
Wondering if someone out there could identify the type of seaweed used in this prepared seaweed salad.Found the agar agar and other ingredients just fine. I love how many people are searching for this stuff. It must have some addictive additive in it.
by Justin rate this post as useful

Try sea vegetable salad 2006/6/28 11:05
Try searching sea vegetable salad. Soken sells a product that looks like the right stuff.
by Selkie8 rate this post as useful

ingredients 2006/7/12 04:21
This is what my sushi guy is selling:
Sesame Seaweed Salad
Previously Frozen
$3.25
Sell by:
Keep refrigerated
INGREDIENT:
Seaweed(wakame),aga(I think it's agar),sugar,soy sauce,
water,salt,wheat flour,sesame oil, sesame seeds, kelp extract, onion powder, red pepper, FD&C Yellow#5, FD&C Blue#1
Produced by:
R&C Sushi, Inc.
This is from the package sticker.
I will take a look to my old orders, I did get this salad frozen from Fish Company in New Jersey, forgot the name, from Toms River, 2 lb package was $15 and Overnight shipping was &30 something. But they offer you can pick it up. But that is the one you looking for, I guarantee it.
Jan
by Jan rate this post as useful

here is the link for Goma Wakame 2006/7/12 04:56
by Jan rate this post as useful

maybe this is it, sounds very similar 2006/9/6 05:27
I have recenlty had the "seaweed salad" and was out looking too, this was a link I found, and I think the oil adds the "heat" and the seasame seeds are also in it, I know the one I had did not have cucumbers in it, so I think this may be closer. Good luck!
by kim rate this post as useful

sorry here is the link 2006/9/6 05:27
http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/side_seaweedsalad.shtml
by kim rate this post as useful

Best Source For Wakame 2006/9/28 14:19
Hope that this helps ... best and most economical source of wakame I have found

http://www.sushifoods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=14115

MMM MMM ... (but be sure and have some dental floss handy)
by Bravo Ulysses rate this post as useful

above recipes not correct 2006/10/26 05:40
The salad is not kelp. It is wakame but unlike the usual wakame salads it has the wakame stems. The recipe posted by Sue, or the usual wakame salds, have only the wakame leaves. If anyone knows the recipe, please post. I'm curious to know how they soften the stem part to make it edible.
by Sergio Parreiras rate this post as useful

seaweed salad ingredients 2007/1/25 07:13
i too have been searching for this recipe. i have tried making it at home with wakame but it is not the same. the wakame is a dull, dark green and gets mushy easily. i have tried shredding it like in the salad but it doesn't turn out.

ingredients from the label of the pre-made salad are similar to a posting above.

ones that stand out are black fungus and MSG - no doubt adding to the 'addictive' qualities of the salad.

Seaweed, agar agar, sesame seed, black fungus, red chili pepper, sesame seed oil, sugar, salt, high fructose corn syrup, distilled vinegar, hydrolyzed vegetable protein (water, corn, soybeans, wheat), MSG, colour

anyone found an actual recepe yet?
by char rate this post as useful

Hiyashi wakame-seaweed salad 2007/2/19 07:55
OK people...I have found quite a few companies that sell the yummy seaweed salad via Internet. I have been told by many owners of Asian restaurants that it is easier and better when purchased premade. I am quite friendly with these owners and I don't think they'd stear me wrong. Today I spoke to the sushi guy at my local grocery store and he told me he buys it premade and even did when he lived in Tokyo.
Here are the companies that I have found. Oh...there are 2 types of wakame; goma and hiyashi, the goma is not as good or at least that is what I am told. Here are the web sites for ordering.
www.iSeafood.com and www.alwaysfreshfish.com

THIS IS THE ONLY RECIPE I FOUND THAT SOUNDS LIKE WHAT WE ARE EATING! GOOD LUCK
Sesame Seaweed Salad:
2 ounces dried wakame seaweed
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup soy oil
2 small red chile peppers, seeds removed and cut into thin strips
4 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

Place the wakame in a mixing bowl, and soak it in tepid water for 20 to30 minutes. Remove from water, squeeze dry, and trim away the tough spine. Cut into thin strips, and place in a large mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, sugar, and both oils. Pour the dressing over the wakame, add the chile peppers, and toss. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.

by Joy rate this post as useful

Hiyashi wakame seaweed salad 2007/9/20 23:03
I buy this bright green,speckled with red pepper flakes, slightly crunchy, absolutely delicious salad at Tokyo Market in Berkeley.

It is labeled as Hiyashi wakame. The store is well known for it's fresh and very high quality produce. I don't know if they buy it pre-packaged but it's always so fresh I am sure it's prepared on site.

Like any one recipe there are many interpretations, as varied as there are tastes - isn't that what makes life so magical?
by sean rate this post as useful

Chuka Salad 2007/10/30 07:16
I was searching the web for the recipe as I was eating Chuka Salad from Nijiya, a Japanese deli and market in Los Angeles. I came across this questions. The salad I'm eating is made of green seaweed, all julienned into strips. The only ingredients listed on the container is seaweed, sesame seed, sesame oil, soy sauce, salt and sugar. The spicy hot comes from the sesame oil. I've had this type of salad served in many Japanese restaurants. I hope this helps.
by cindy rate this post as useful

Chinatown Beverwijk 2007/11/9 01:12
Trudy, I think I know what you mean.
You can buy chuka wakame at Chinatown in beverwijk there is a chinese supermarket. it's open from wednesday thru friday 10.00 till 21.00 hour. and saturdays and sundays too (near the black market.
It's frozen and the ingredients are on the packaging. It costs about 1,50 euro's for around 130 grams.
I'm gonna try it tonight.
Hope you can do something with this tip.

Greetings Carly
P.S. if you want, e-mail me and i will send the full ingredients list as shown on the pack (zefodbijsterbuil@gmail.com)
by freeflight rate this post as useful

The elusive recipe... 2008/2/24 07:33
I've been trying to find an online recipe for this salad for several years, since I first tried it at a sushi restaurant. All of the ones posted online are slightly different, and do not result in the flavour that is so consistent when I get this salad premade.

I have a feeling that the premade salad is so good because of additions such as MSG... the crunchy texture also adds to its appeal, and may be a result of using wakame stems, kelp, and agar in the recipe.

The best salad I have made at home was done like this:

1. soak wakame (purchased inexpensively as precut seaweed) in a mixture of rice vinegar and soy sauce. The wakame will not hydrate totally (this mix is too salty), so when it refuses to soak up any more dressing, drain off any excess sauce.

2. At this point the wakame will still be a bit crunchy, but will have a lot of flavour. Add some cool water to the seaweed to let it hydrate further. When the seaweed is the desired consistency (some chewiness, but NOT soggy) pour off the excess water and blot with paper towels.

3. Dress with a mixture of brown sesame oil and chili paste (however much chili you want!), and top with toasted sesame seeds. Toss lightly, and serve.

About step 1: The point of hydrating the wakame in the dressing is so that the seaweed takes up this flavor, and ends up more flavorful. It also will not end up soggy, as it does in other recipes when the dressing is poured over the already hydrated seaweed, and the seaweed is left sopping in the dressing.

The flavour of this recipe is good, but not quite as it should be. The texture is also fairly good.
by Laura rate this post as useful

Goma Wakame 2008/3/8 09:16
Trying to find this evr since I had it in The Fish Market in Sand Diego. Finally sufing the web found Catalaina Offshore Products in San Diego that ships frozen Goma Wakame Salad that looks like what is the elusive salad. I will soon order and try some. They ship frozen via Fedex
web page:
http://www.catalinaop.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=salad
by Derek rate this post as useful

Trying to make this at home also! 2008/3/9 06:05
I love the salad, and would be open to buying it pre-made but I want to control the MSG (by not including it!) and the amount of sugar...I tried this with dried wakame and it turned out mushy and slimy. I may try the previous suggestion of re-hydrating with soy & vinegar so it doesn't get mushy.

I also tried making the salad with dried arame but I can't stand the flavor, reminds me of wet dog.

From what I can tell, the big difference is the TYPE of wakame...this article ( http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9804E5DC1F3CF... ) says that its the STEMS and BRANCHES of the wakame...so does anyone know what the name of that kind is? I looked all over my Asian market for it, but I don't know what kind to get.

Thanks!
by Amber Betts rate this post as useful

Seaweed salad 2008/4/2 13:45
Seaweed Salad (Nori)

10 grams aka-tosaka-nori seaweed
10 grams ao-tosaka-nori seaweed
10 grams ao-ogo-nori seaweed
10 grams wakame seaweed

4 tablespoons white sesame seeds
4 tablespoons vinegar
4 tablespoons dashi stock
3 tablespoons sweet light miso
sugar

For salted seaweed, soak in cold water for 20 - 30 minutes to
dliminate saltiness and drain. Cut into bite-sized pieces.

Make sesame-vinegar-miso. Roast white sesame seeds and grind well
in suribachi (Japanese grinding bowl). Add sweet light miso and
grind more. Marinate in vinegar, sugar and dashi stock.

Arrange seaweed colorfully. At the center of the plate, put
sesame-vinegar-miso.

Variations: Besides seaweed, carrot, cucumber and celery are good
ingredients for this salad. Shallots and wine-vinegar also make a
delicious dressing. Heat minced shallot with salad oil and add
wine-vinegar.
by Milesdzyn rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 45
prev
1 2 3
next

reply to this thread