Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 32 of 32
prev
1 2

yes 2011/4/21 15:32
There is also famous Chinese opera called 'the peony pavilion'. One of the main characters is named Ren. It is a male, but I have heard it use in Chinese for female too... appears to be a somewhat traditional, poetic, elegant name.
by Uoeiota (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you all! 2011/4/22 11:14
Wow I am surprised this is still getting replies actually.. I have made up my mind on the name Ren. There will probably always be some ridiculous anime character or something that will ruin the name for some, so I'm not going to worry about that.

But to whomever suggested the name Renee - Ugh! I really, really hate that name. I actually wish it hadn't been mentioned, as ruins Ren for me a bit. -__- Just awful.
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/4/26 02:25
Really? Ren? I'm not being disrespectful, after all, it's your kid. But you posted here wanting our opinions, and well, I'm not impressed. It just seems to be like an abbreviation of a name, or a nickname, or part of a name. If you were going for a true Japanese name, you went in the wrong direction. It's funny if asked if it's bad as naming a girl "Logan," it may not be as bad, but it's getting there, for a Japanese name anyways. Yes, even Japan has a problem with tacky names! I doubt you would want to name a boy "Sayuki." Thankfully, Ren is not the kind of name that will face a lot of ridicule, but it will leave people with their heads scratching. Your friend has a point, but it doesn't matter, since the meaning of the name to you is what matters,right? And I'm sure people with names like "Destiny" and "Mckenzie" also had parents who thought they were very meaningful and beautiful, but I guess everyone else just couldn't realize it.You said that Renee puts you off of the name Ren, and I'm actually glad that it does.I don't like Renee either, I think it's archaic, but at least it's a tried and true girl's name. Sorry, but I think "Ren" is not a well thought of name, even for boys and ESPECIALLY for girls. But since you made up your mind anyways, I hope 'Ren' won't ever have to wait anxiously for her 18th birthday so she can change her name. Take care!
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Keep your hat on! 2011/4/26 02:37
The above person seems to have difficulty in controlling his/her bad mood. Don't worry too much about what other people say, just follow your instincts. Ren is fine.
by (^_^;) (guest) rate this post as useful

- 2011/4/28 15:43
Honestly OP, ignore everyone who tells you . If you like the name Ren and that's what you want to call your kid, than go ahead! This is your (and your husband's) child. Not anybody elses. So nobody else's opinion should matter!

I want to call my kids Bruce and Shaylea (despite many people telling me they are both horribly lower-class 'bogan' names here in Australia).

I don't care. I love those names and won't let any ol' random stranger change my mind!
by Amiz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: problems with the name Ren 2011/10/20 06:21
I know I am a little late to the party, but I hope you named your daughter Ren. My middle name is Ren and I love it.
It is beautiful & interesting.
Yes I am a woman.
No I am not Japanese.
Yes, strangely I do like punk rock.
by Middle Name Ren (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: problems with the name Ren 2011/10/23 22:10
Naming is very personal business, so you can choose any name you like. I just want to express my opinion as a native Japanese.
"Ren" doesn't sound nice for a girl's name, doesn't sound pretty or beautiful to Japanese ears. It's not common name for a boy either, but I only know as a boy's name.
On the other hand, "Rei" is much nicer name and means "elegant or beautiful" and many girl have the name. I never want to call my daughter "Ren".
by Chilie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: problems with the name Ren 2011/11/2 09:36
My son's name is Ren and has indeed the lotus kanji but there is another character(s). Funny thing is in Chinese I believe it's a girls name, at least that's what Chinese friends have told us once we showed them the kanji for it.
by kdoublec (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: problems with the name Ren 2011/11/2 10:22
I feel sorry for the girl, I know parents think names are cool or beautiful meaning or something but think of the child, what the child has to deal with at school or how the child is going to feel about having the name Ren for some reason reminds me of the word wrench so I picture a tool. And then there is that ugly cartoon character Ren&Stimpy. The name just does not sound pretty and not only that but its a popular boys name, I would never ever name my kids a name that is a boys name. I just do not get some parents these days.
by N (guest) rate this post as useful

Life as a girl Ren : ) 2012/1/4 05:18
I'm a girl Ren and I absolutely love my name :) I'm English (no Japanese in my family at all) and - so far - have never met anyone else with the same name as me. People always ask me about it and it's fun to explain that it's Japanese : ) Hope your daughter grows up loving it as much as I do!
by Ren (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: problems with the name Ren 2012/1/6 05:20
Hello, I'm a girl and my name is Lauren, but I have gone by the name Ren since childhood. I like it because it is unique, and yes I have had others reference "ren & stimpy" and the "ren stevens" character, but those are going to be too old for any newer generations to acknowledge. I have more problems with people thinking my name is Jen! Also, one of my professors recently named their daughter Renn. I think it is beautiful and I think your daughter will like too!
by Lauren (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: problems with the name Ren 2012/1/10 09:06
My name is Ren, and I'm a girl!

Now at 22, the only problems I've had is being compared to Ren from Ren & Stimpy.

I also have asian decent, and no one from that side of the family seems to think twice about it (and it is easier for them to say then my sister's name: Laurie).

It's a great name, I find people usually will ask me questions about it, and want to know more about where it came from. Overall, good name from a Ren's POV. :)
by Ren (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 32 of 32
prev
1 2

reply to this thread