Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 31 of 31
prev
1 2

what is cool? 2011/8/4 14:19
Just out of interest, what tatoos are considered cool in Japan...?
I mean of course it is a generalisation but we can be fairly certain kanji tattoos are not cool to people living in Japan (Japanese and Non-Japanese alike).
However I do think tattoos can look cool or strong or sexy on the right people (not me sadly!). I noticed quite a lot of skaters etc have them and occasionally girls have a small discrete one that looks kind of cool.
Didn't really pay much attention to the designs though? Anyone know what is popular? like what kind of animal motifs or patterns?
Perhaps the OP can get one that will be considered cool to a more international range of people he may encounter in later life? perhaps that is that too difficult.
none of my business of course, just a suggestion.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

cool or uncool, that is the question 2011/8/4 15:41
gilesdesign,

It's difficult to explain in words what designs are cool. I've seen tattoos on celebrities and people in the streets, and so far I can't recall seeing uncool tattoos on Japanese people. Just in case, I'd like to point out again that it's only a matter of taste. I'm not saying that the Japanese have the best tattoos. I'm only saying they fit my taste.

Johnny Dep's tattoos are cool. My favorite tattoo is Kenichi Asai's "Red Guitar and the Truth" tattoo. Ah, who else, give me a name, or better a photo. I generally love tattoos. I love touching them, too, although I rarely get a chance.

I think a lot if not all posters on this forum have repeatedly pointed out over the years that kanji tattoos are very likely to turn out cool. Nobody says anything about tattoos being uncool in general.

But let me put it this way. Why not have bushido code tattoos in English then? I mean, why not engrave "Rectitude, Courage..." instead of ‹` —E ? The answer to this question may be the answer to your question.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Correction 2011/8/4 15:44
Incorrect:
"kanji tattoos are very likely to turn out cool."

Correct:
"kanji tattoos are very unlikely to turn out cool."
or
"kanji tattoos are very likely to turn out uncool."

Sorry for the typo.

.. 2011/8/4 17:16
Honestly, I couldn't tell you if mine will look cool to everyone, because I don't care. It's nice, but its not a necessity. A tattoo is meant to be for you and you only. If you are getting it for other people, or to be cool then its already a poor decision. My tattoo is a traditional Japanese tattoo, and it will get me banned and shunned from most people and institutions in Japan, because it will resemble that of a Yakuza's...though it will throw them off that I'm white haha. I'm getting it, because I think traditional Japanese tattoo's are beautiful and I guess its a spiritual connection to me and my martial arts training.

I just wanted to thank you all for your input, it will certainly take part in my tattoo. Thank you AK again, you've been most helpful. I'll be sure to post pics for you all, if your interested. It won't be till the end of this month though.

Thanks again.
by Anti Her0z (guest) rate this post as useful

This is just a clarification 2011/8/4 17:33
OP wrote;
"My tattoo is a traditional Japanese tattoo,"

No, it's not.

He also wrote;
"it will resemble that of a Yakuza's..."

No, it won't.

But that's none of my business either. Just so that you'll know.

... 2011/8/4 17:34
I get your first reasoning about the martial arts spiritual connection that is personal to you not trying to look cool...fine.

But...
My tattoo is a traditional Japanese tattoo, and it will get me banned and shunned from most people and institutions in Japan, because it will resemble that of a Yakuza's...though it will throw them off that I'm white haha

I think this is a bit far from the truth, in Japan most people will just see you as another foreigner with a funny kanji tattoo, A bit like foreigners point out funny english on sandwich wrappers. Nobody is going to shun you or be surprised you are white. You may get banned from some onsen and public baths but that is just a blanket "no tattoo" rule, they wont be the least bit interested that you are white or what design of tattoo you have, they are just following some outdated rule. The Japanese staff will also be well aware not everyone with a tattoo is some how linked with yakuza or criminals they are just following orders.

@Uco yeah I agree.

.. 2011/8/4 17:36
Well I haven't even told you guys the design thats going with it lol. The Kanji is not part of traditional irezumi. But the rest is. The kanji is a small part in my tattoo...

... 2011/8/4 17:50
Please someone correct me if I wrong but I always imagined Yakuza have stuff like dragons on their back? (Im no expert) dont remember any kanji writing thought it was more image based tattoos.
That might look more like Japanese yakuza if that is part of your intention, also it might look kind of cool in various countries as opposed to writing.
IF you get a back tattoo a little bit of something that curls round the neck so you can just glimpse it when people are wearing clothes is kind of cool too I think...then the entire tattoo on your back is kind of imagined.
That is also quite Japanese too...that kind of implicit suggestion of something. rather than writing out the bushido code which is kind of direct and explicit and rather un-Japanese? just a thought...
...mmm I'm thinking I might get one now...actually No I wont.

... 2011/8/4 18:04
Yeah an irezumi style tattoo should be more colourful and pictoral not just writing...might look more "Japanese Yakuza" then...Hope you have a good tattoo artist who can pull it off.

.. 2011/8/4 18:07
Traditional irezumi's typically come from woodblock paintings and images of the "floating world" which often depict famous and fictionalized warriors, or from mythical creatures like phoenix's and dragons, flowers, etc..as I said, Kanji is not really apart of traditional irezumi, and you will not find it on most irezumi pieces.

A tattoo, should represent the wearer, and I personally like it. Thats why I'm adding kanji to mine. It's a small part in a bigger picture.

.. 2011/8/4 19:00
I'll add too that traditional irezumi is done by tebori, or by hand. This helps to bring out more of the color and detail, than if it were done by tattoo gun. Unfortunately, there are no hardcore traditional irezumi artists in my area, or any of my surrounding areas. My artist however is very good, and I won't be let down.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 31 of 31
prev
1 2

reply to this thread