Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 200 of 233: Posts 3981 - 4000 of 4650
prev
1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 233
next

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/11/16 17:35
I used to work there. It was in the Hon-moku area of Yokohama, about, mabe, 20 minutes drive from JR's Skuragicho train station toward the Sankei-en historical park. On the base, there was a gas station, basket ball court, tennis court, PX, movie theaters, elementary school, and a big housing area. I used to work at the PX, being a shoe salesman. The entire base had been returned to Yokohama city that had converted part of the housing area to Mical Honmoku shopping mall, which I believe had gone, too. I used to park my dad'd car illegally on the base and the MP caught me.
by Nicky (guest) rate this post as useful

Snow, Earthquake 2016/11/25 10:55
Hello everyone,

Yesterday morning of metropolitan area was unusual snowed in November and it stopped in the evening and today is fine, roads are dried now. November's snow is first experience for me. The temperature of this morning about 48 F.

There was an earthquake at northern part in Japan this week. My home also shook by that. There was also Tsunami by the quake, that wasn't major scale. But the coast and river are dangerous.

Movie clip is the landscapes of Yokohama of 60s and 70s. I hope you have some memories of movie by this.

Best,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jePDuaJOr6I
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Masako Cooper 2016/12/4 20:13
Hello again,

Do anyone know Masako Cooper? Masako was a friend of my family, she is Japanese. I often visit her house, She lived in a house of hilltop area 2 until around 1978 or 1979. And her family has moved to USA. I don't know address. Her job was breeder of dogs. She has a lovely daughter and her husband was Navy surgeon. My family got Shiba dog from her. Unfortunately picture isn't found. I went to PX with her many times.

Thank you,

Masako san 2016/12/4 22:40
Masako was our maid when we lived in the Sannotani neighborhood.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Masako san 2016/12/16 02:09
I found no less than eight Masako Coopers in the US plus more in Australia via google.

Cooper and Anderson 2016/12/16 17:36
Hi there,

I guess Masako didn't live in Arizona. Masako's house was near this picture on the hill.

I uploaded pictures. This is captain Anderson and his wife Onodera. She had moved to US, too. She was an instructor of a brush painting, kids are my sister and me. I stayed their home several times, they lived in bluff Yokohama.

http://photozou.jp/photo/top/3125106

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/12/17 09:31
kaoru-san

love the pictures...but you know that.

just for fun ...there is a couple called eric and kyde
they livein japan and make very cute if not enchanting you tube videos. check them out. i have and our hooked. ok shes cute ..i know.

my personal guarentee youl love them...so much for me. below zero in nh. ugggh!. anyone want a houseguest ? i do dishes and clean...

by peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Memories 2016/12/17 12:46
You Tube in Eric and Kyde is interesting, Thank you. NH is cold, warm oneself.

Our American friends were always kindness. The invitation of dinner at their home was wonderful. When they returned home, They presented a lot of LP records, dining table and something various to us. Unfortunately most were lost.

We were not so rich but my family was possible to eat luxurious T-bone steak in 1960s and dad brought pizza from Ricksha back to a souvenir, they were very nice, I think dad's friends presented.

This thread is more than 10 years pass, over 3800 posting It's surprise. Now Eric-san and Peter-san and other friends send e-mail to me every day. I'm very glad hear that.

It's miracle that Eric found my family. About 10 years ago, I had the telephone about Eric from the police station asked whether I could tell him my E-mail address. I said Okay, and, an old picture of his father was sent to me from Eric soon. My dad saw it and shed tears, dad was passed in later.

American friends party, PX, fishing at Lake Ashinoko with service men, Dragon and Seaside club seemed to be dream for me. My English is unskillful, but the reaction would be continued. The bases of the US forces in Japan will probably become little in the future. I make the memories of old Honnmoku important.

Police officier Sase-san 2016/12/17 13:39
Kaoru-san's father was our neighborhood policeman when we lived in Yokohama. In the mid-late 1950s, we lived across Avenue D from Area 2 in Sannotani. This neighborhood was part of Officier Sase-san's police beat.
Kaoru san's dad looked after me as an adopted uncle, keeping me out of scrapes from time to time.

50 years later, I think of him often.

Re: Berrick Hall, St. Joseph College, Honmoku 2016/12/17 20:34
Returned from Yokohama this past October. There was a reunion at Berrick Hall, which used to be a dormitory for students at St. Joseph College. "Festa 2016" was a two-day affair that included a dance party. The rock band, the Blue Saints, included a couple of friends from way back when I was a member. Back in the '50s and early '60s, I learned to dance the jitterbug ("jiruba" or "Hamajiru") from YoHi students who used to attend the Saturday Night Catholic Youth Org. Dance held in the basement of the Sacred Heart Church. Brought memories of those days.
Steffi, I read your reminiscences of Karuizawa , which was sent to me by a friend who also was a resident there. My daughter just finished a novel, "The Diplomat's Daughter" about events back in the late '30s and 1940s that include Karuizawa, Crystal City (Texas) and Vienna (Austria) as well as the refugee trip on the Gripsholm. Simon & Schuster will publish it next year in July.
by Honmokujin (guest) rate this post as useful

Honmoku 2016/12/18 05:06
Hello !
Is it possible to walk down Avenue D and see anything resembling what was there in 1960?
A medical clinic now occupies the land where our house was at 91 Sannotani. It would be interesting to visit this place...

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/12/18 07:35
eric san

yes!
due to the miracle of virtual technology it is possible..

1 go to google earth and zoom in on where you want to start, say the tunnel at motomachi.

2 find the little yellow man figure.

3 drag and drop him on the road. boom the street will come up on the screen.

4 now it gets tricky..using the mouse ..rotate the view in the screen,and also advance the view going down the street by clicking on the image furthur down the street.

or...call your son or any 20 something..theyll know.

i did this at medorigaoka...works sweet. spoiler alert..its all changed. but you knew that. my old apartment was gone althow it was only 15 years old..and replaced with a single family house.

there is even views inside daibutsu..must have it on a backpack.

i had a pair of geta,custom made on honmuku-dori. am only a 9 1/2 but tcouldn buy it off the rack. still have them.

also bought 2 zabotons custom made.. long worn out. hated to finally pitch them.

kaoru -san is too modest..his english is quite good. hey i mess up adverbs too.

i think japan-guide should sponser a reunion..ne..good p r
not sure thats likely.

6 inches of snow in new hampshire and zero temps. why do i live in this ice dungeon ?

i believe every street in yokohama is covered. i also found center pier where i worked. its a park now.

Honmoku 2016/12/19 01:25
I owned a pair of gatas when I was about 11 or 12 years old. Our maid-o-san, Masako was able to find a pair of the really tall gatas that were a hoot to wear.
They were lost in a house fire back in '66.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/12/19 04:39
I would put on my geta and yukata on a summers eve and walk to the tiny corner store for a snack. The nice lady at the store took notice ... but she grabbed me and refolded the front..hedari mi ...ooops i had put it on the way dead people are dressed. Ok..a lesson learned.. or did i. May have made that mistake more than once. Left over right
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/12/19 05:41
for a kick i put on my old geta. the label says
SAKAKIBARA HONMUKU even a phone number. 622 9760.
maybe someone..hint hint..could give a call and see if there still in business. if so..tell them they they wore almost too well..dont need to reorder any time soon. what is the wood ? my guess..boxwood. looks like pine but pine is too soft. remember the shop . a one room affair with a big round tree section in the back area. the stump had leather straps nailed to the side to hold various tools. very clever...and oh..there not that great in a new england winter. there pretty worn but can get a few more years on them.

had 16 yukata when i came back...all worn out

Gatas 2016/12/20 03:21
I went on line and found gatas at $25-$35/pair.
Amazon has em but I didn't see the extra tall variety...

getas 2016/12/20 08:04
i dont recall how much i paid for mine..but being as cheap as i am it probably wasnt much. mine were the '' standard '' height. now.. my understanding is that geta became in use when streets or paths were unpaved and the height kept one out of the mud...? is this right. ?

life is strange when it comes to '' things '' we owned. there are things that we still have that we didn't necesserally intend to hold onto..but are still with us. on the otherhand there are things that we had that we really liked that are missing..long gone or lost

case in point. i was at isezaki-cho and went into a knife store which had an amazing display of hocho, or fine steel kitchen knives.
i bought another type a 6 inch sheffield stainless kitchen knife.
i still have this pathetic little devel. it has been sharpened a thousand times, been through the dishwasher hundreds of times..the handle is cracked and broken but i cant lose it! whats with this phenomium? later in life i realized how wonderful the hochu blades were and treasuer my modest collection of about 10 knives the best being a 12 inch sushi knife. on todays markey about 1,300 bucks..irony i have no idea where i got it...
is this just me.?

Santa's coming 2016/12/23 22:47
I read this morning that North American Radar Command is gearing up to keep watch for Santa's arrival in North America again this year.
Back when I was growing up in Yokohama, The FEN (Far East Network) radio did play-by-play of Santa, zooming in from the North Pole.
The announcer reported Santa was spotted over Hokkaido, delivering presentoes to the little kids in northern Japan.
I'd fall asleep, wating for the jolly fellow to make it to Honshu.
There must've been lots of deserving kids in Hokkaido...

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2016/12/24 14:27
i remember the far east network.
they had a program in 1967 called the '' balloon farm'' in retrospect it was a patheticly strained attempt to be hip and cool. '' ok all you hipsters out there....here's pete seger with michael rowed the boat ashore..''... kinda like the robin williams movie '' good morning vietnam...hey...they tried.

merry christmas 2016/12/25 06:55
to all on the forum.

i wonder who will be the 4000 th poster. ?

Page 200 of 233: Posts 3981 - 4000 of 4650
prev
1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 233
next

reply to this thread