Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 15: Posts 41 - 60 of 291
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
next

I love you 2004/9/27 20:06
If you feel your girlfriend or your boyfriend or your wife or your husband or whoever...doesn't love you very much just because you are not told "I love you."

You don't have to worry at all!

An example;

My aunt has married for 20 years. She visited my family last month. She looked very happy and a little embarrassed. She showed us her breslet and said "My husband gave this to me and he said 'I love you'(Aishiteruyo)" for the first time!"

Maybe we would say
1) never
2) once in our whole life
3) once in decade
4) once in a year at a max!

Young people tend to say it more though. Still they don't say it often at all!

There are couples called "Bakappule" It means stupid couple. They are couples who kiss, hug, and other boddy touching in the public all the time. Maybe they say it all the time!

I don't offence those couple at all. I understand they have their style.

Stars told us all the reasons!
by a Japanese girl rate this post as useful

to angelsteel san 2004/9/28 05:59
I tried to reply to your question any number of times. But, when your situation was considered, I hesitated.
Although I wanted to encourage you, I worried that it might make further bad situation on the contrary.
On the other hand, your questions have very heavy meaning for me.

Before I reply to your question, I have to solve one inconsistency.
It is about your words. : "Not because "WE ARE JAPANESE" thing, but simply as an individual human being.".
I'm an old type's Japanese of the middle age. Therefore it is impossible for me to tell you something without my attributes, But, at the same time, I'm sure that there is not the Japanese who has a name of "Japanese".
I'm going to respond your questions while harmonizing these two. Maybe you differ about some of views. Is it Okay to do so?

Your first question ; "Is it normal?"

I think that it is a relative matter rather than a normal thing.
I have kept deep respect and affection for my wife. Holding the family purse strings is my wife, in the same as other family. But, I also have not wore a wedding ring on my finger for the past about 30 years. It is because of "Kohazukashisa"(blushing very much to do so).,.......
Even if I am asked that reason,....ummmmm.....I confess I don't know very well why.
Probably, I guess that many(not most) of Japanese males will be feeling the same. But it isn't necessarily meaning the Japanese are shy.
I would use your disagreeable words here, ("we are japanese").
Japanese were fundamentally the cultivation's people(include "bushi=samurai"). The cultivation had needed many people's labor and cooperation, and it was the world an independent action is not allowed. The individual action was considered as the act which destroys society.
We live in the modern world. But, We have inherited certainly some of those genes. They suggest our strength and weakness. (Personally, I think we need to bear it in a corner of our mind, for future of the world and for ourselves.)
Of course, Although this is not the only reason to don't wear the wedding ring on,...

The second question : "What if their feelings fade do they have to keep their silence so as not to hurt others rather than to free themselves?"

I think you should never consider such a thing. There is half of the life for your own happiness, and is half for the happiness of others.
I handed my wife a divorce paper immediately after getting married. It is because we lived in faraway places, and were too green, till then. If she is disgusted with me, she will submit it to a public office even now. I'm going to accept it, because I wish her true happiness. Probably. large tears coursed will down quietly my cheek in the dark, though I never weep in front of everybody.
Although I have never said directly "I love you", I used to heap all sorts of letters. (Even they were not written the word of "ai","koi",and "love"). Supposing I said it. I shall be feeling like dieing. This is never a joke.
So, I may understand some of his feeling. But,....
Why did he have the past letter until now? Why doesn't he face the reality of your pain? Why?
Supposing he is my longtime intimate friend and he is in the face of me, maybe I "haritaosu"(please don't translate) him.
I hope from bottom of the heart that everything goes well. for you.
by OJT rate this post as useful

To Mr OJT 2004/9/28 10:23
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for the explanation. I apologize for the words that i used as it complicated things. I love so many things about your culture & i will always respect your humanity. The fact that we have cultural differences, we find it hard to understand why is this so & so. BUT you have delineated it to me excellently. Now, i have no time to worry & i realize that i have to make the move since he can not express himself to me. This morning before he leaves for work, i told him "goodbye kiss wa?" and he did kiss me with a hug. What a nice day for a start. You have no idea how your comments & answers made me happy. I wish you happiness as well & never let a tear cascade in your face while walking in the rain. No matter what ever happens next, i will be forever grateful for this day & so w/ the insights that you shared. God speed & more power!
by angelsteel rate this post as useful

the loveletter? 2004/9/28 10:53
To OJT, yeah i almost forgot about that thing but you've had a very logical question? Yeah, me too is still wondering why does he have to keep it still. Maybe it is a part of him & without it something will be missing? or maybe it's part of his being what he is now and wants to keep it that way? Got no idea & if he thinks that it is a part of him i might as well respect the things that he values & makes him as a whole. Now, you made me think! Hmmmm... well, let's just wait & see. Hope that you will still be there if i figured it out and i will tell you all about it. again, thanks so much!

To angelsteel san 2004/9/29 11:10
I feel greatly relieved because he is very good faith and has much consideration for you.
I have to take back my remarks; I ".........." him. Pardon my bluntness.

"he did kiss me with a hug."?
If I do such a thing, my wife will misunderstand surely; "He may be suppressing a fact of something...is doubtful".
I feel it is a very nice custom. Japanese women will be surely feeling a yearning for that custom, too. Though I can't imitate.....99.99%.

"let's just wait and see."
I'm wishing that your tender mind reaches him.

Sincerely,

Update from earlier 2004/10/15 08:09
Still wishing I didn't have to post in this question area. But I think my assumptions were correct. And maybe even just like Azumi stated earlier. My girlfriend couldn't say "aishiteru" but could easily say English "I love you", because I think it was just as I thought, saying it in Japanese would make it much more real. Anyhow, much is now unfolding as to how she really feels about me. Thank you for you post "a Japanese girl" I wanted to believe it so much but in this case I think it wasn't as you say. And to any others out there facing this issue, you should really question the relationship if something like this occurs. I am very sorry to say this but good luck to all out there.
by Blink... rate this post as useful

Angelsteel..... woman or slave? 2004/10/17 07:50
I know.... I realize.... to be rude!
But isn't her way of life more and more "rude" than

me???...
I think she overdoes even compared to female medieval

japanese characters. And please don't tell me about

different "culture" and so.. indeed she behaves not

human.
I only hope she lies.. :-)
Beg pardon for my sincerity.

p.s.
In Italy we say "I love you" everyday... as everyday we

eat, we drink or we sleep...
And we don't feel the sentence "worthless" or

meaningless"... we just feel hungry, thirsty, sleepy..
Other culture?... Yes... millenary Culture which taught

civilization to entire World...
Beg pardon again for my......sincerity :-))
by Italian Samurai rate this post as useful

The words "I Love You." 2004/10/17 18:44
My wife is Japanese and I am an American. We were dating for 6 years and have been married for 2 years. We both say "I love you" to each other daily. Why do we say this to each other daily? The simple answer is because we feel it, and regardless of our nationality we say it because we feel it. We both know that our partner needs to be assured, and that this 1 life we have on this miserable planet will be spent with a person that loves us, and that we love. It doesn't matter if we have a good day or a bad day, we both know that we have an important person to come home to and share common interests. We both know that just being together is more enjoyable than any type of paid entertainment. We do go to movies and out to eat, but the activities we do are not the main interest. Just being together is the highlight. I was very lucky to find a girl that I can feel this way about, but luck was only part of the reason we are together. I learned from a previously failed marriage that my next choice for a wife was based on an intelligent decision and a good choice. I found the person that I want to spend this life with, and the person that I want to make the most important person in my life. Many people choose a mate without first deciding what type of person they want to be with. They just choose a nice looking person that had a good initial attraction, then tried to make a relationship with a lot of hope. This time, I chose a person that had a lot of desireable personal characteristics, such as loyaly, fidelity, and strength. Then I made a decision to "love honor and obey" as long as I live. I told her in my most sincere voice and strength in my heart that I would not make her regret her decision to spend her life with me. She also told me the same thing and we both trust each other to honor the words we said. A marriage contract recognized by the state is only a piece of paper. For us this is not good enough. God heard our words and will make us accountable for them later. That is our bond. If any of you are in a doomed relationship, you still have a chance to get out and find a person that is worthy of your time and devotion. If any person claims they cannot say "I love you" because of ethnicity, watch out. Life is too valuable to spend with a person that will not show affection if that is what you need, want or crave.
by Andrew rate this post as useful

why a slave? 2004/10/17 23:06
If that woman likes the way she lives with her husband and she is happy than why name her a slave???

Can't you accept other's people way of life??

Or is it only nice and pleasant things in life to live through?

If she is happy , it is not nessesary to caracterize by a certail name but that other people accept her way will be more pleasant, I think.

by phoung rate this post as useful

Thanks, good message. 2004/10/18 00:51
Andrew, I just wanted to say thanks for your post, man. It was really enlightening. I am glad to here somebody out there found a wonderful girl/ relationship like that. My thoughts were the same, life is too short to go around wondering if your girlfriend/wife or boyfriend/husband really loves you but won't say in either language. I also thought it was something that should not be stopped just because of ethnicity. Anyhow thanks.
by Blink... rate this post as useful

to italian samuraisan 2004/10/19 01:01
My idea of loving, living & learning maybe different from your views, Mr. Italian Samurai. I was confused before & even up to now but PHOUNG is right (THANK you so much it uplifts me up), i am happy. I posted in this forum because i need some answers & maybe others know some & i got answers (thanks again, to OJT) & now i don't care if he say's i love you or not to me since he said it at least once. Through this forum i have learned that the idea of loving is not how often they say i love you but how much we give love & how much we love deep in our hearts & soul. It will not matter if i tell you that i was hurt with what you've posted but i want you to know that i was hurt though, i don't blame you. You were just vocal with your thoughts. But nothing will hurt me more than being with someone i love & find out later that he is no longer happy w/ me because i love him & i want him to be happy. If i am happy to be with him & he is not, then my love for him will be meaningless. And i just happen to experienced that & i just happen to love him the way i think is right for me because i may be nobody and have nothing except a heart full of love to offer. I just simply LOVE MY HUSBAND and I AM NOT A SLAVE & i believe he didn't treat me that way. Someday you will know what i mean. Wish you love & happiness in life!

Phoungsan thank you so much! 2004/10/19 01:15
My sincerest gratitude for uplifting my spirit. I read your post. Yes, i am happy w/ what i am doing & this is what makes me happy. Have a wonderful evening! Wish you more love and happiness always. I know it was not directly for me but your message meant a lot. Again, thanks! P.S. Sorry i know this is out of the topic.

Love and Dignity 2004/10/19 07:55
Angelsteel wrote :
" ....The gifts and all were generous but no words of love in the air.... Me working in my country & him in his own. He will come to visit me now & then & when he retires that's when we can b 2gether.... I clean, wash & make his dinner but we seldom talk. ... I attempt to make love w/ him since we hadn't made love for 2 yrs ... Still, he never utterd Aishiteru, no hugs at night, no goodnight kisses, no holding hands in the street & no goodbye kisses i came to realized that i loved him more...... "

Well, people.... I am speechless!!!.... But please don't tell me that's "LOVE"!!!... I dont want offend but let me say please that such a kind of behavior looks like more a "pervertion" than a way of loving. Ok ok... she feels good!... And so???... Haven't we same right to say we feel bad?!!... Yes, people (and especially PHOUNG)... nobody having human dignity could say Angelsteel is right and we have to "respect" her.... NO!!!... We must feel bad listening to her story!!!.. It's a VERY SAD story, beside she "loves" him!!! But we haven't to "respect" her... we can't respect who doesn't respect himself first!!... Sorry but I cannot be polite, and I don't want be polite!, in front of a rude, selfish and arrogant husband who profits from his wife's weakness....
Nevertheless... have Angelsteel all my best wishes for a happy life and will her forgive me.....
....."Oh! life that God gave us works in so many mysterious ways."........

Frustrated 2004/10/19 16:09
I wrote a very long answer about relationships and it was not posted. That sucked because all of my effort was wasted.
by Andrew rate this post as useful

Feel that word I LOVE YOU 2004/10/19 17:04
I'm a Pilipina and my boyfriend is japanese.And we are faraway from each other, he visited me here twice a year and we communicate everyday on the phone and almost everyday i will say I love you and my boyfriend will not say that word it doesn,t bother me because I only Feel that he loves me so much,and i believe action speak louder than words.And eventhough my boyfriend dont say I love you,He always wants to hear that word from me,one time he told me hearing that words makes him fell strong and better everyday.That's why i dont fell bad if he doesn't say that word,But He always make me fell that word ''I LOVE YOU''
by Hana rate this post as useful

Andrew 2004/10/19 18:23
You wrote another long answer after your Oct 17 post? Next time you write something long, write it on a personal text file first and keep it in your computer. That way, you can try again and it won't be wasted. Btw, I'm not involved in controling this website, in case you're wondering.
by Uco rate this post as useful

but it is said easier than done 2004/10/19 18:45
Well, I just like to share a bit of my view.

language is expressed through both verbal and non-verbal, dont you think? As such, even if someone you love rarely expresses her/his 'I love you' frankly, it would not matter that much. Unless you are concerned more on verbal communication.
by Siroti rate this post as useful

To Mr Italian ....... 2004/10/20 20:16
I don't care what others say about us. BUT,!
Did you describe her as "slave"?
You declare yourself "samurai", right?
Amending one's own errors toward other person......That is a true courage which is needed for Bushibo.

I would stand up for their both strong affections.

OJinTech

Hmmm... 2004/10/21 00:10
To italian samuraisan: I hate to post right now since i don't find this message relevant to the question but i want you to know that my husband is not selfish, nor arrogant nor rude. How could you say something like that when you do not know him personally. He is not taking advantage of my weaknesses as you say coz he knows that i am not weak. Anyway, thanks for your info about yourself but i was not asking about the italian way of loving since my husband is japanese. And this is not about me, the question here is the japanese culture for us to understand and not to insult them because you have no idea of what they felt inside. I didn't post here for sympathy and respect. Nobody knows me, so why do i care about sympathy in here? Dignity my dear is the quality or state of being worthy of self esteem or respect. Same as to distinction, decency,decorum,eminence,ethics,etiquette,glory,morality,nobleness,virtue,sublimity & worth. Did i do any harm to anyone by just loving him? No, i believe i did not. Did i lose my morality by loving him? My question has already been answered and if you feel sad about my story and don't want to read it why bother reading it? I am sorry if you feel bad about it but i did not intend to let others feel sad. Other wise i should have just written a book & let my friends read about it.I WAS JUST SIMPLY ASKING & i just thought that my situation is relevant to the issue and NOT ME as the issue to be discussed. Anyway, have a blessed life. by the way, SAMURAI respects other's differences and lives with honor and dignity. To know more about it read the Bushido book it is out in the bookstore and it is reasonably priced.

Dear Bushido-san 2004/10/21 19:20
Dear Bushido-san

I'm sorry.... I cannot buy your book because have not enough money and, above all, because I am "ITALIAN" samurai... totally different from Japanese samurai. Indeed, dear Bushido-san, I am "The Lost Samurai"... yes, "lost"... lost by all those people who misunderstand the meaning of "human dignity".

Anyway... I will not abuse of a public forum... then feel free, Bushido-san, or WHOEVER, to contact me for a free copy of your book or anything.... 4 letters words included, I don't mind if that can help you .. :-)
italian_samurai@email.it

Page 3 of 15: Posts 41 - 60 of 291
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
next

reply to this thread