Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 3: Posts 41 - 41 of 41
prev
1 2 3

Bugs in general 2011/9/14 21:51
I've lived in Japan for 16 years now. I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest (very top of Washington State in the U.S.), where we don't really have that many bugs. I was amazed during my first summer here to find that most of the roadkill was giant bugs. From giant, strangely shaped grasshoppers to big and aggressive praying mantis, to truly disgusting and huge cockroaches, Japan has a LOT of bugs.
I've never been bothered by spiders, but there can definitely be a lot in the summer. Especially the beautiful, but intimidating black and yellow garden spiders. Then there are the huntsman spiders that be larger than a CD with their legs spread out. Fortunately, Japan doesn't naturally have any poisonous spiders, though some have appeared recently, presumably brought in with trade goods. If you don't bother the spiders, they won't bother you. And it's been said that a house with 2 or 3 huntsman spiders will be completely free of cockroaches within 6 months! Even if you don't have a cockroach problem, you're bound to find one in your house or apartment every now and then. I'll take a spider over a cockroach anyday! So, PLEASE don't kill the spiders. They're really helpful to us people!!!
by kimkitamura (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 3 of 3: Posts 41 - 41 of 41
prev
1 2 3

reply to this thread