Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 6: Posts 41 - 60 of 107
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

Working the Graphics scene in Japan 2005/12/22 10:17
A few note:

A great deal of graphic design in Japan is handled by Production Houses, not design studios as you find here in the States.

In addition most advertising agencies use the Production Houses for all art, graphics and productin work. This is most come in print.

The key will be identify which shops are used by what companies. You can also try the publishers.

A helpful site may be the Japan Graphic Designers Association at:
http://www.jagda.org/english/link/design_link.html

Good Luck
by TenshiNYC rate this post as useful

visiting here again. 2006/1/13 08:24
Hi all,
I'm thinking to create some kind of online site for us - a site that we can exchange information and thoughts about art & design. The intended users are artists and designers (or whatever you call yourself (creator? animator?)) interested in living or have lived in Japan. (don't know exactly yet)

I'm dreaming if this site becomes bigger and bigger and we will be able to do some activities? (artwork?? even... art show??? never-end my dream.)

Any suggestions will be appreciated! I want to know if some of you are still interested in this too. It has been a while since this thread originally started so.

Thanks! hitomi
by hitomi rate this post as useful

Another Designer 3 D Rendering 2006/1/22 04:31
I am going to Japan Feb 5, 2006.I need work for 6 months to 1 year. Specialty is designing for video games.
www.morbidia.com
is my online portfolio
Anyone knowing of a company that needs my skills please respond. I can speak English and Japanese!
by Aya Best rate this post as useful

i want to live and job in japan 2006/2/10 23:31
Iv been a
Graphic deigner freelance for approx 5 years now, am 27, and really really looking into living and working in tokyo, where do i begin? im going for a 5 week holiday in sugust, any suggestions how or what i need to do while im over there to try and secure work, full time, are there many english magazines for example over there? im really want to get sponsorship so i can stay perm, any help v appreciated.

by akm masud
by A.K.M Masud rate this post as useful

Another one joining the boat! 2006/2/15 20:24
Hello!
I am Brazilian, 37, moved to Japan 8 months ago, and still have hope to find a job as a 3D artist/designer.
Hitomi, your idea of a website for us is just great! Tell me if I can help in any way.
Maybe we could also have some regular meetings at a cafe or a park or something, what do you think?
Please visit my site at http://www.artista3d.com
Use the link there to send me an e-mail.
And good luck for all of us!!!
by GoodieJP rate this post as useful

graphic design 2006/2/22 09:25
hi i am currently 17 and so far i have taken or am taking all possible digital art courses, i love it, i am using photoshop, final cut, etc. i wud love to go to college/university and study in this area and eventually work in japan, this summer i am going for an internship at a graphic arts company. i am wondering if there are any universities in the nagoya, tokyo or hamamatsu region that have digital art courses (graphic design) . i really want to do graphic design, and what kind of grades and courses do you need. thanks
by JAPANisbest rate this post as useful

hitomi here again! 2006/3/1 02:22
Dear GoodieJP and others who are interested in my idea creating a website for us:

Hi! First of all, I want to look for a web server/host to use. Preferably free or with very little monthly fee. If any of you know a possible web server/host, please please let me know. Thanks! I will look into it myself too. I do a little web design, but never built a message board feature or similar fancy stuffs by myself. So, thinking to use a template sort. Then, managing the site will be easier - I don't have to deal with the tech part of it. Also I want Japanese language to be supported, so GeocitiesYahoo cannot be the one...

It seems like web host services are not cheap in Japan. hmmmm....

Talk to you soon!

hitomi

P.S. GoodieJP, I'm still in the US, so cannot do a cafe meeting or anything... But I will be back to Japan in near future. Will think about your idea!

P.S.2 Thank you very much for all of you who has emailed me since I posted my 1st message! I've been having fun to hear from people from many different countries! I haven't replied to one email yet... Please wait. Thanks!

Same here... 2006/3/17 23:01
Dudes, I'd like to worki in Japan as a graphic designer or web designer. I'm getting a degree in this field at the end of june 2006. I'm very talented, awesome at drawing with vector graphs. I am English and Italian mother tongue, and I'm studying Japanese (I mean, not much hope of working there if you don't speak the language). I've been studying it for 3 or 4 months now. Ohayou gozaimasu, watashi wa itariajin desu. minna ga ikaga desu ka.
by Casey Roselli rate this post as useful

Wow! 2006/4/12 12:12
I was so surprised to come across this post, and how many people are thinking the same thing! I am also a graphic designer planning to move back to Japan for a few years after being in the US for over 10 years. It seems really tough over there even for natives to find jobs right now, but you never know if you gave it a try! Good luck guys!
by fumi rate this post as useful

Bulletin Board for Designers in Japan 2006/5/2 19:43
Hitomi and others,

I created a bulletin board for all designers working (or wanting to work) in Japan.

Since I cannot post the address here (I tried and the post was deleted), please visit my website (see my post above) and send me an e-mail and I will send the link to all interested.

My intent is to create a community of designers, where we can exchange tips and help each other finding design jobs in Japan.

Best regards,
Wagner Schieber.
by GoodieJP rate this post as useful

illustrtation in japan 2006/5/12 05:33
Hello everyone, it's so nice to see that i am not alone in not knowing what to do next in terms of breaking into japan. i have just finishes a Ba hons degree in illustration , and i mainly illustrate children's books and greetings cards, well anything including cute characters. i would maybe like to work in the gift industary. i have visited japan the last two summers and i absolutely fell in love with the place and would love to live there. going there has really influenced my work as as well and i really think it has a japanese look to it and i think it would appeal to a japanese audience more than here in th uk. the question i have got is how would i make it as an illustartor in japan, what are the first actions i would need to take?i no that speaking the language is a must have and i am going to start learning as soon as possible. also, has any one been in the situation and could give me any advice on what actions to take. is it best to become established in the u first?thank you so much, id really appreciate it if anyone would had any advice to give me.Alicexxx

my email address is alickychicky@hotmail.com

my final degree show also has a wesite so you can check out my work, but im in the process of setting up my very own online portfolio site!!

www.freshillustrators.com
by alice mathews rate this post as useful

answer 2006/5/13 08:17
Look, I'm brazilian and I'm Graphic Designer too.
I think don't have problem to you work in Japan.
But first buy some books about Japanese Graphic Design to have some idea and try to do some works to you.
bye and good luck.
by Gustavo Noce rate this post as useful

help please 2006/5/17 11:56
i have lived here in japan for a year now i have tryed to find a job in video production, graphics or 3d related but so far no LUCK i hope some one sees this message and helps me i am 23 and have a degree in graphic design and producction, i an speak japanese(conversational) english and spanish are native, i am good with many of the industrys programs, so please help me

Super thankx Rod
by Rodrigo rate this post as useful

the hard yards 2006/6/14 22:32
I too am another disgruntled designer who is about to leave Japan to go back to design in Australia (or maybe another English speaking country!).

I've been here teaching English, studying Japanese (actively, unlike many), have a japanese girlfriend (which I will probably marry) and have years of quality design experience back home... I've even taken up karate recently.

My lesson is this. It is better to get design work with a foriegn company and request a transfer through the company. i.e. SONY.
Study Japanese as hard as you can. There are jobs, but its really tough with no Japanese. I've come to realise, why would THEY be bothered dealing with YOU, unless YOU have something they don't have. Someone else mentioned that...

I feel I have unique abilities, which when I have shown them to Japanese are very impressed. People were back home, but that doesn't get you a job. You could perhaps try going through an international recruitment agency. If you think you're a professional, do as the professionals do. I've learnt the hard way and will probably go home. I will continue studying the language and who knows, maybe I'll be back, but a lot wiser. Lesson is, do your homework, don't make rash decisions.

by Nigel Brockbank rate this post as useful

just a dream??? 2006/6/21 06:22
I was thinking that I was crazy, I though I as the only one Graphic designer that wanted to live in Japan, Now I can see there are a lot of people wanted the same, is just a dream want to work in Japan??
I'm in my last year in the university and like everybody I want to work there, but mainly I want to get my master degree there...anyone knows if is hard to study in Japan??
by antonieta rate this post as useful

Hmm 2006/7/1 02:08
Well, ok I'm still a highschool student, but I have done tons of work for some small buisnesses already. I plan on majoring in graphic design. As does everyone else here. As of this year I have decided to make my way to japan after college. I just want to be extremely prepared for what's awaiting me there. If possible, I would like to do some graphic design work of any kind there. The language I only began studying this year, but I do have a few years before this will execute. Any ideas are apprecciated.
by Pinksheep rate this post as useful

Nice 2006/7/4 16:20
Wow, it feels great to have stumble upon this post. I recently just got back from a month of back packin in Japan and loved it. I'm also majoring in Graphic design in california and have one more year of college left. Just wanted to add my support since I wish to also move to Japan for a few years after graduation. I'll definitely keep checking back with this post and hopefully build some networking.
by SD rate this post as useful

master degree in GD 2006/7/7 04:30
Dear antonieta,
To study and get a master in Japan is possible, a friend of mine from Australia did it (but not in art), but of course all classes are taught in Japanese, you should be able to handle the language. To attend to regular university, you mostlikely need to pass the Japanese Proficiency Test. For instance, one of the top art schools in Japan says that at least Level 2 on the test is required to get in the undergrad. Then, you need adaptablility to Japanese students culture, teachers, and class/school. And, money.

Here is that art school info for you to get ideas of what to do to enter the university. It's sometimes said that to enter university is more difficult than to graduate in Japan.

http://www.tamabi.ac.jp/wsc/english/i_students.htm
Hope this could be a bit of info for you.

banging head against the wall 2006/7/7 04:59
Hi, yes, I'm yet another Graphic Designer eager to make her break in Japan.

I worked in Japan for a year last year as an English teacher, something I would mind going back to if it means I can stay in Japan whilst looking for design breaks.

At the moment I'm in the UK. I dont have a University Degree, BIG MINUS in my CV for Japanese employers. But, in the UK, a design degree doesnt speak as much as experience, so thats why I never got one & thats why I dont have any desire to do back to school and study for something that might not help me. (Ok, you need a degree for a working visa, but surely theres exceptions?) I've visited other forums and the mood is very somber once I say I dont have a degree.

I have 3 years experience in Print Design - Adverts, Corporate ID, Annual Reports, Stationary, Posters, Web, you name it, I've worked on it. I can speak JLPT level 3 Japanese but Im not intending on going to Japan until I have achieved level 2.

I've heard its all about who you know if you want a Design job in Japan - so please email me and advise me on how I can make myself 'employable' in Japan.

..PLease dont say 'GET A DEGREE'. Id rather be an English teacher.

Thanks

karekora@yahoo.co.uk
by karen rate this post as useful

ANIMATION 2006/7/13 21:59
HI EVERYONE!!! This is unbelievable!! so many of us with the same dream!!! I am a computer animator, currently working for cartton network uk. I would like to go to tokyo to work for a couple of months, like a work experience or smthg......Any ideas????? i guess its veru difficult for all of us uh???
Good luck to you all!!!!
www.insolentcandyfloss.com
by Matilda johnson rate this post as useful

Page 3 of 6: Posts 41 - 60 of 107
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6
next

reply to this thread