Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 5 of 7: Posts 81 - 100 of 121
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/6/13 00:50
I don't know what I'd do if I were in such situation, really. I guess this serves as an alert for all of us planning a trip abroad (not only japan, btw) that plastic money should not be your only option.

I should add that legislation in my country would guarantee that I receive back any additional costs that I had to pay because of this trouble (for example, buying food on more expensive places because the cheaper ones do not accept credit card). In my case I'd have to collect every receipt, I suggest you guys check to know if similar regulations apply to you.
by CecilSoares rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/6/13 02:57
Jay,

Cards don't work sometimes if you are trying to withdraw money at NIGHT TIME in your country.
Also, when you are notifying your bank that you will use your bank card, credit card etc. it is better to go to your branch in person.

After the staff person has written a note about you going away you, be sure to ask that person to turn the commuter towards you and read the message.
Twice, in my Canadian bank, the staff wrote that I was going abroad and would NOT use the card. She just couldn't understand why I wanted to withdraw money outside Canada! she had never been abroad and had no intention to..

Later on a manager told me that, as I travel to the USA every so often,they could write a permanent generic note. One year later, just before going to the USA, I checked the bank, just in case, and, sure enough, they had erased the note!
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/2 21:55
Hello! :)
I am going to arrive in Japan on the 18th July and stay there for around one month. My question is: Some people are at the moment in Japan and is the problem still going on? I just really need to know that so I can plan properly which card I use. My family wanted to transfer money to my maestro-card at the end of the month but if maestro isn't working at the moment I am going to ask them to transfer it to another card.
Thanks already for your help!
by XxXMinachixXx rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/2 22:02

It depends where you're from.
All the cards from the Netherlands work.

So do the thing that makes the most sense: contact your bank and ask them if their card will work in Japan.
by Carlove rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/3 10:28
Question, so I'm going there in a month. Will I be able to use my Mastercard debit card to withdraw money from an ATM?

Will I be able find ATMs, other than 7-11, that accept it?
by dar482 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/3 11:10
This notice is still posted on the Mastercard website:

http://www.mastercard.com/jp/personal/jp/cardholderservices/atmlocatio...
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/3 22:00
Well, I have the same problem! I really, really, really need money, so I'm a bit desperate! I had cash till now... But I have been here for the 3 last months... My card was working when I arrived here in April, so I wasn't worried and I used my cash, thinking I could use it without problem. Now I have no more cash, so I tried to withdraw and it's not working... NOWHERE! It is said that it should be working again on 19th of July but you know what? If you plan coming to Japan soon, just rely on cash ONLY. No need to ask your bank if it will work again, because even if they say yes, the situation could remain like this! (They told me before leaving I could go without worrying, and 2 weeks after this happened!) So you never know! I stay here 1 month more, I will try again on the 19th (If I can survive till here!) and I can post more details if I know more, but believe me, even if it is said it should work, it may not!
by Jacana713 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/4 09:18
wow Jacana, good luck: that July 19th date is the first Ive seen as a possible end to it all. We are watching this thread in anticipation of our trip in October/November, and will be very interested in any responses after July 19.
Good luck to everyone in Japan suffering though this: it must be awful.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/4 10:07
It is said that it should be working again on 19th of July

Where did you get that date from? Can you post a link?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/6 11:06
I contacted my Bank at Home and after showing all the Evidence they have been very polite
and i could give Orders to pay at least to the Banks in Japan for my Rent, Telephone and Energy, funny thing is that they (the Bank) got no information about this in advance!

Normally the Embassies need to help and People in a real Emergency should contact them!!!

Another Way: create a PayPal Account- connect it with your Bankaccount- use Moneygram
but this need at least 10-14 Days!

I will quit my Plastic Accounts as soon as possible and use Cash only!
by Stevan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/8 12:17
If you have a Maestro branded card then you are out of luck.

####

Japan Post Bank provides cash withdrawal services for credit cards and cash cards issued by overseas financial institutions.Cards bearing the VISA, VISAELECTRON, PLUS, MasterCard, Maestro, Cirrus, American Express, Diners Club, JCB, China Unionpay and DISCOVER can make withdrawals at Japan Post Bank ATMs.
* Refer to the sign for each brand mark below.
* Some Maestro cards with IC chips are temporarily unable to make withdrawals at all ATMs located in Japan (including Japan Post Bank ATMs) from April 19,2013.
MasterCard is providing information to customers on their website. Please refer to the website below for details.
For information on usage of cards, please consult the card issuing financial institution.
http://www.mastercard.com/jp/personal/jp/cardholderservices/atmlocatio...
by Dennis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/9 13:31
I've been here since 07-JULY-13 and haven't been able to use my US issued HSBC Debit Mastercard (no chip) at any ATM to withdraw cash. My Citibank VISA Debit works fine for ATM withdraws as well as purchases, and so does my American Express for purchases.

by kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/10 11:08
Japan post office's also have Japan Bank ATM's which accept foriegn ATM cards. The only drawback is that many post office branches have limited hours but on the plus side they even have a English language guide on their ATM's. The fee for me is the same as it was on a 7-11 ATM (no ATM fee) so the only drawback is the convenience of being able to get Yen whatever time I wanted to.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/21 16:07
We have 2 debit cards, for different Banks, and accounts.
One is a Mastercard Debit, with a chip....this is what we have always used in Japan in the past, without problem.
The other is a regular debit card, (NOT Mastercard or Visa) BUT with a PLUS logo, which we rarely use, but it can be activated for overseas transactions if necessary
Can someone please advise re the current state of affairs (a post earlier on this thread said that all was to be restored to normality on July 19???) re Mastercard
AND is it possible to use PLUS logo debit cards at Post Office or 7-Eleven ATM's?
We don't arrive in Japan until late October
Many thanks!!

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/21 17:49
I used a Plus ATM card last month at a 7-Eleven in Japan and it worked fine. I'll try it at a post office next month in Japan and let you know, but I'm pretty sure it will work fine.

http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2013/06/changing-us-dollars-into-...
by kia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/21 18:30
Thanks kia
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html
says PLUS is OK: just wanting to check: so looking like we will rely on our PLUS card and not be stressed out by the Mastercard issue.
I will be interested to know how it goes at a post office, so do post back.
Many thanks again

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/22 13:23
Sorry for the delay. Somebody asked me how I discovered it was said it should work again on the 19th of July. I don't have any website, I got the information when I called my bank in Switzerland to ask how I could survive 1 month without any money... But I went back today (22nd of July) and it is still NOT WORKING! That begins to be a real pain! Well, good luck everybody, In case I can withdraw money before the 1st of August, I'll tell you, but for now... I just wait and pray to find a way to repay my friends that lent me money here...
by Jacana713 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/22 13:28
Just letting you guys know I was able to withdraw money using my Canadian-Issued Maestro Debit chip card from ING Direct at the Post Office.

This card DID NOT WORK at 7-11. No problem, though, because the Post Office is closer to me than 7-11!

This is in Osaka, by the way.
by enjoysmile rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/22 13:29
Sorry for the double- just letting you know that my Canadian-Issued Plus! chip card from Royal Bank worked at both 7-11 and the Post Office.
by enjoysmile rate this post as useful

Re: What is wrong with 7-11 ATM's? 2013/7/24 13:14
Just tried Swiss issued Maestro card at 7-11 and international ATM at the local post office and its still not working as of July 24th. Had to withdraw cash by visa Creditcard instead.
by Helium (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 5 of 7: Posts 81 - 100 of 121
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

reply to this thread