Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

12 days itinerary to Nagoya in Autumn 2024/5/2 23:07
I'll be doing a solo trip to Nagoya for 12 days from late October to early November. I seek your advice if the following itinerary is doable, which transport passes I should get and if I should bring along my luggage from place to place.

Day 1: Nagoya > Takayama

Day 2: Takayama > Shinhotaka Ropeway > Hirayu Onsen (stay over at one of the Ryokan with in-room private onsen)

Day 3: Hirayu Onsen > Kamikochi > Takayama

Day 4: Takayama < > Day trip to Shirakawago

Day 5: Takayama > Kanazawa

Day 6: Kanazawa > Toyama

Day 7: Toyama > Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route > Matsumoto

Day 8: Matsumoto > Nagoya

Day 9 to 12 (morning): Nagoya (include Nabana no Sato, Legoland, Ghibli Park and/or Nagoya Mitsui Outlet Park)
by Beth (guest)  

Re: 12 days itinerary to Nagoya in Autumn 2024/5/3 15:24
You can buy takayama hokuriku area tourist pass 5 day =19800 yen cover nagoya, takaya ma,shirakawago,kanazawa,toyama unlimited
by Ritz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days itinerary to Nagoya in Autumn 2024/5/3 15:49
I'll be doing a solo trip to Nagoya for 12 days from late October to early November. I seek your advice if the following itinerary is doable, which transport passes I should get and if I should bring along my luggage from place to place.

Basically your plan is doable. You can bring your luggage throughout your trip if you minimize your luggage (clothes for three days in a backpack, maybe less than 7 kg).

You may better consider Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Kippu Hida Course, valid for 8 days, Nagoya-Toyama-Shinano Omachi-Nagoya, 21180 yen.

https://railway.jr-central.co.jp/tickets/otoku_tateyamakurobe/

Unfortunately there is no English page for this kippu (ticket). But this is the only pass the validity of which is as long as 8 days. Note that this ticket is not sold in Centrair airport station which is operated by Meitetsu, a non-JR company. So you must buy ticket for Centrair to Nagoya (less than 1000 yen) or use IC card.

Day 1: Nagoya > Takayama
When you buy Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Kippu Hida Course at JR Nagoya stationfs ticket office you should reserve reserved seat for Hida express.

Day 2: Takayama > Shinhotaka Ropeway > Hirayu Onsen (stay over at one of the Ryokan with in-room private onsen)

Kamikochi/Okuhida Marugoto Value Ticket

Covers Hirayu onsen, Shinhotaka cable car and Kamikochi.

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/marugoto_value_ticket_en/
Since you are travelling solo it might be difficult to find room for your preferences (in-room private onsen that is).

2 day vershion 9600 yen if you donft stay in Kamikochi, 3 day version 10400 yen if you stay in Kamikochi.

Day 3: Hirayu Onsen > Kamikochi > Takayama

I recommend to stay one night in Kamikochi. Nishiitoya mountain lodge is my favorite.

Day 4: Takayama < > Day trip to Shirakawago

You can do Shirakawago on your way to Kanazawa. So Kamikochi to Takayama and stroll Takayama on day 4.

Day 5: Takayama > Kanazawa

Takayama to Shirakawago to Kanazawa by bus. There are coin lockers in Shirakawago bus terminal. You donft use Takayama to Toyama section of the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Kippu Hida Course.

Day 6: Kanazawa > Toyama

You must pay Kanazawa to Toyama section separately. 59 min by non-JR trains, 1290 yen or 23 min by Shinkansen non reserved seat 2860 yen.

Day 7: Toyama > Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route > Matsumoto

Murodo has coin locker. In the worst case you may encounter snow storm.

Day 8: Matsumoto > Nagoya

Reserve Limited Express train reserved seat at the ticket office in Matsumoto station usein your Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Kippu Hida Course.

Day 9 to 12 (morning): Nagoya (include Nabana no Sato, Legoland, Ghibli Park and/or Nagoya Mitsui Outlet Park)

You can wash your clothes in most of your accommodations. Of course most convenient is in-room washing machine but this type of rooms are in general more expensive.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days itinerary to Nagoya in Autumn 2024/5/3 15:52
Sorry, usein>using

Re: 12 days itinerary to Nagoya in Autumn 2024/5/3 22:37
Thank you for the great advice!

As I will be travelling from the last week of October to first week of November, would it be better for me to reverse my itinerary and visit tateyama kurobe alpine route before kamikochi to catch the koyo?
by Beth (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days itinerary to Nagoya in Autumn 2024/5/3 23:19
would it be better for me to reverse my itinerary and visit tateyama kurobe alpine route before kamikochi to catch the koyo?

I am afraid that Koyo in Murodo should be over by early October. Honestly other places in Alpine route is not so scenic. Rather you may expect Koyo in Kamikochi area. So I would suggest your original plan.

I suggested Nishi-itoya mountain lodge in Kamikochi.

https://www.nishiitoya.com/en/

Since you are solo traveller they only allow you dormitory room, 11000 yen per one night including dinner and breakfast. If you are OK with the dormitory rooms, this price is quite bargain for expensive Kamikochi standard. Today dormitory is not so popular so you will find vacancy in late October.

reply to this thread