Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Looking for prepaid cellphone plan 2013/2/18 18:22
Here in Canada, a prepaid cellphone plan means that you charge your phone with money, and that money only decreases if you use your phone. There is no monthly fee. If I'm on a prepaid plan and I don't use my phone for 2 months then I don't get charged a penny in that 2 months.

Is there a prepaid plan like this in Japan? (Hopefully one that will allow me use my own phone. It's a Samsung Note N7000 with 3G)
by sss (guest)  

Re: Looking for prepaid cellphone plan 2013/2/19 10:30
Is there a prepaid plan like this in Japan? (Hopefully one that will allow me use my own phone. It's a Samsung Note N7000 with 3G)

Yes, there are similar prepaid sims but only for calling. Softbank's prepaid sim cards work that way except that unused credit expires after 60 days. Data is not available with these specific cards. Separate prepaid data cards are available and are typically something like 1 gb of data with a 1-3 month validity depending on the package. There are also unlimited data packages available based on a monthly charging cycle.

What is your situation and needs? Will you be a tourist or resident?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for prepaid cellphone plan 2013/2/19 14:18
I will be in Tokyo for 3 years for University.

I don't need data. All I need is texting and calling, and I do very little of either (and am usually on the receiving end).

Are there any minimal texting / calling plans that are 1500 yen / month or under?
by sss (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for prepaid cellphone plan 2013/2/19 14:42
In that case a softbank prepaid sim sounds exactly what you are looking for (its also the cheapest option available). You can buy credit in 3000 yen increments and it is good for 60 days. Outgoing is 9 yen/6 sec and incoming calls are free. Unlimited mail costs 300 yen per month. Here are the details:

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/prepaid_service/

Re: Looking for prepaid cellphone plan 2013/2/19 21:52
Alright that's perfect thanks
by sss (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for prepaid cellphone plan 2013/2/20 00:56
one thing though, softbank would not sell you prepaid sim card only, they will ask you to get one of the prepaid phone(3g) and prepaid sim card..starting price for this package is 5000+yen (phone+prepaid sim card)..top up value is either 3000yen or 5000yen, which last you for 60 days..leftover value will be carried forward if you continue to top up before end of 60 days..unlimited message/email is 300yen per month
by tanshin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for prepaid cellphone plan 2013/2/20 07:45
You cna get the prepaid SIM only at Softbank Roppongi.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for prepaid cellphone plan 2013/2/20 11:20
You should also be able to get sims from any of the outlets listed here:

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/start/contents/shop.html

reply to this thread