Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pupuru cell phone rental 2013/3/7 21:10
I need a cell phone for my stay in Japan, pretty much only to use hyperdia and any map service to see where I am and where I should be.

http://www.pupuru.com/en/service/campaign/smart_en.html

I would use pupuru cell phone rental (Galaxy S), but after I found several questions here about pocket Wifi ect, I am unsure if a phone is all I need.

People seem to be willing to pay 1.500 yen a day for this pocket wifi thing.
But the cell phone I want to rent comes with unlimited data. So anyone please tell me if a cell phone is all I need and the fees are as stated and not something I am overlooking.

1575 base fee + 399 times 21 days + 7350 data fee + delivery and insurance = ~20000 yen.

That sounds ok, but on the low side when I think about what people pay for the pocket wifi or just a rental sim card. The phone comes with a sim card, no?

And no, I do not have a clue about modern smart phones. I own a Nokia 3310 and that is enough for my needs in my own country. However, that doesn't do roaming, or email or internet or anything besides being able to make calls.

Thankful for any answers
by fatgermanbloke  

Re: Pupuru cell phone rental 2013/3/8 11:17
I would use pupuru cell phone rental (Galaxy S), but after I found several questions here about pocket Wifi ect, I am unsure if a phone is all I need.

The pupuru phone sounds like a good option for your trip.

People seem to be willing to pay 1.500 yen a day for this pocket wifi thing.

1500 is the standard day rate, but they can be found cheaper. There are also discounts for longer rentals, so a pocket wifi is probably the more economical choice if you only need internet. See this company for example:

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

But the cell phone I want to rent comes with unlimited data. So anyone please tell me if a cell phone is all I need and the fees are as stated and not something I am overlooking.

1575 base fee + 399 times 21 days + 7350 data fee + delivery and insurance = ~20000 yen.

That sounds about right.

That sounds ok, but on the low side when I think about what people pay for the pocket wifi or just a rental sim card.

There's ways of doing it even cheaper though they are not as elegant.

The phone comes with a sim card, no?

Yes

And no, I do not have a clue about modern smart phones.

Then I would probably just go with the pupuru phone and get a little more convenience for just a little increase in cost.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread