Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 32

1 2
next

Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/18 20:00
Hi all, I'm planning to go to Japan by end of this month. One of us has tattoo and I heard that guys with tattoo are forbiden in onsen. well, the tattoo is considered as a medium one. a tribal tattoo at the upper back. I wonder if anyone of you have ever enter an onsen with a tattoo? how is the acceptance, I mean how big would they tolerate such things?. Is there any way for a tattoo guy (minor tattoo) to enter an onsen? after all we are tourist.
would love to hear your opinion on this one. thanks guys.
by occa (guest)  

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/19 11:31
Depends on the onsen but generally speaking many are starting to accept. It also depends on what the tattoo depicts. Any onsen staff may feel that an ostentatious or vulgar display is not acceptable. Their interpretation of ostentatious and vulgarity depends on the person. Check with the onsen and ask and if possible send a photo.
by WSlifko rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/19 11:57
Generally, asking about or displaying your tattoo to the staff will virtually guarantee you being denied from entering the establishment. Frankly this is one of those don't ask don't tell situations where you might be ok at some establishments especially if it is possible to cover up your tattoo. But go in knowing that there is the possibility that you'll be asked to leave.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/19 12:17
I have a few tattoos, albeit my family crests from my Japanese side of the family and have never had a problem at an Onsen.
by halfnhalf rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/19 15:47
I would also recommend to not ask as it would almost certainly mean being denied access, but also accept gracefully when asked to leave without getting into a discussion with the staff.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/19 19:22
I went to several onsen and all prohibited tattoo or body art like they said. Oedo Onsen and Laqua in Tokyo even showed me a leaflet stating they did not allow tattooed people. You can lie if you want but workers there look at people while cleaning the place, if they see you lied, you will be asked to leave, no refund. I saw it with my own eyes, one white guy being taken out from Laqua.

how is the acceptance, I mean how big would they tolerate such things?

I do not think they have time to make think what is acceptable between a Hello Kitty tattoo and a big green dragon one. A tattoo is a tattoo.

Is there any way for a tattoo guy (minor tattoo) to enter an onsen? after all we are tourist.

What you are suggesting is a form of apartheid for japanese in their own country. White tattooed people like you could use onsen while all asian tattooed people (seen as yakuza) would remain banned from using them.
by Maximus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/19 19:27
Keep in mind that major commercial onsen like Oedo Onsen and Laqua are special cases that are especially strict with regards to tattoos. I wouldn't even bother trying to visit them if you have one. Your chances are much better with more rural, rustic onsen that don't have staff constantly maintaining the premises.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/20 07:36
So I have been to Oedo onsen and didn't get kicked out. My tattoos aren't huge and are about 6cm in diameter (both circular) with one on the left side of my chest and one on my upper right arm.
I'm not saying they won't kick you out and yes they do have the signs but if you have smallish tattoos i think you'll be fine. I have never declared that i have tattoos so i've never given anyone the chance to stop me before going in.

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/20 22:18
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all of your feedback. I have shared this with my friend who is having the tattoo. He will try to enter the place and wouldn't mind to leave if asked to do so.

Onsen is part of their culture so, wouldn't want to miss the opportunity for sure:).

Once again, thank you. Enjoy your day.

by occa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/22 09:51
Agreed that it depends on the place. There are some onsens whose owners are completely paranoid about tattoos and some onsens whose core clientel are retired Yakuza (seriously. There's a town called Isawa Onsen up in Yamanashi which seems to be where old Yakuza guys go to die).
So yeah. Just don't tell them or show them it and don't act a dick and unless there's an arse hole who wants to cause trouble in the onsen with you you should be fine
by takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/26 23:26
Is it ok to cover a small tattoo with a band-aid or medical tape or the like? Or is it considered unhygienic - as people would think that there's a wound beneath it.
by Jeanie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/27 01:34
I'm curious if the above question is an option too. I have a very small quarter sized tattoo on my hip that I feel is very easy to hide with a casually placed hand or a washcloth. Would a small flesh colored bandaid be a good way to hide it or is the tattoo small enough to not be an issue? I'm going with a group and it would be unfortunate not to be able to enjoy the baths with them.

I would be staying at the Hotel Dankoen in Ito. I'm not sure what their policy is in regards to tattoos because I'm having a little difficulty navigating their website.
by MsMoon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/27 06:51
In doubt, get Kashikiri time chartered private at no or a little extra cost, or room attached expensive onsen bath.
Unless posted, it depends on other clients who might complain. Japanese complain a lot. If complained, the management has to act because Japanese are regular repeat guests whom they need to please & keep the inn's reputation high. They are most afraid of negative word of mouth.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/27 17:26
Option 1 - you book a ryokan room equiped with the private onsen bath. Otherwise, they are offering time rental bath where you can occupy the bath with your firends only.

Option 2 - it is true that some of the countryside public baths allow tatoo guys. Obviously they are yakuza, but they behave themselves as ordinary citizns while they are nakid.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/27 19:38
I've been to like 20 onsens in Japan, some famous, in many different prefectures. I have 3 large tattoos on my arms. I've never seen a sign that said no tattoos allowed, ever. Never been approached by any of the workers either.

I usually stay 2 nights at the onsen I visit also. I even walk around the hotel with them visible too. I think it's only a very small number that actually prohibit tattoos. Seen plenty of Japanese men with tattoos in some of these places too.
by Mr. Bolo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/28 06:25
It seems like a few people who had problems entering an onsen because of their tattoos are usually foreign men, but what about foreign women? Do foreign women also have problems entering an onsen with tattoos as much as foreign men? Maybe less?
by ribbon94 rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/28 06:37
I've been to hundreds of onsen all across Japan. Obvious signs prohibiting tattoos are, indeed, very rare. Found not even at 1% of the baths I have been to. Mainly large, modern bath houses, such as Oedo Onsen and LaQua, have them. The huge majority of baths does not have obvious signs, although they may have the no-tattoo rule written in small print and in Japanese only on some board, but even these are often absent.

Seen plenty of Japanese men with tattoos in some of these places too.

I see Japanese men with tattoos about once ever 50-100 onsen baths I take. Very rarely. And they are almost always obvious yakuza people. I may miss smaller tattoos as I am not in the habit of checking fellow bathers for tattoos.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/28 13:46
I have an oriental look, and might be mistaken for a japanese then.. I also bear 3 small-medium tattoos, wonder if they would suspect me of being a member of yakuza too.....
by ZHOUXXX (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/3/28 15:50
Gaijin should not simply say to gaijin it is no problem on this matter.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo in Onsen 2013/4/2 07:52
Gaijin should not simply say to gaijin it is no problem on this matter.
And you assume that everyone who has commented is a gaijin? I also think it is valid for anyone to comment who has had the experience to advise what happened to them. I would say that is even more valid then having a Japanese person give an opinion, simply because they are Japanese but have not had the experience.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 32

1 2
next

reply to this thread