Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Imperial Palace logo 2013/4/23 07:37
Why are the products sold in the Kyoto Imperial Palace (for example, traditional Japanese bookmark, but I am not sure if the bookmark is really an example) uses a carriage as design and not the chrysanthemum?
by a11an (guest)  

Re: Kyoto Imperial Palace logo 2013/4/23 14:53
It's interesting...
An ancient carriage like this?
http://tabelog.com/kyoto/A2602/A260202/26016212/dtlrvwlst/4634119/1557...
It's 牛車(Gissha; ox carriage) and expressing the ancient Imperial court, because samurais ride a horse in the later eras.
To begin with, the shops and souvenirs have no connection with the Imperial Household, so it's simply selected according as design, I guess.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Imperial Palace logo 2013/4/23 22:11
But there are some wagashi that are shaped like chrysantemum and seem to be sold by Imperial Household staff
by a11an rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Imperial Palace logo 2013/4/23 22:24
while the traditional Japanese bookmarks and other products have carriage as design
by a11an rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Imperial Palace logo 2013/4/23 23:17
Sorry, "no connection" is overstatement.
Of course, temples/shrines and shops that use 菊の御紋(kiku-no-gomon; the Imperial chrysanthemum emblem) have historical connections with the Imperial Household and they were permitted to use the emblem before.
The shops in the palace are managed on the commission for the government office, because today after WWII, the Imperial Palaces are nationally-owned not the Imperial estate.
Though that's not reason why it's not chrysanthemum but carriage...
If in Tokyo, I can ask them directly.(x_x;)I'm interested in too.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread