Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying detailed local maps 2013/4/29 05:06
I would like to buy detailed local maps in the towns I visit, such as Toyohashi, Shizuoka, etc. The maps can be in Japanese, as long as they show local temples. Where is the best place to buy local maps? What Japanese phrases can I use to ask for them in shops?
by Greta Griffee (guest)  

Re: Buying detailed local maps 2013/4/29 08:33
How about the tourist offices in each town? Maybe they're located near the train stations. And maybe they're free.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Buying detailed local maps 2013/4/29 09:41
For some places, the Rurubu travel guides that you can buy in bookstores have pretty good maps. (Often they have tear-out sightseeing maps bound in the front of the guide, along with detailed regional driving maps in the back.) But these tend to be for popular tourist spots, like Nikko or Kamakura. Shizuoka, maybe (as part of a regional guide); Toyohashi I doubt it. Another publisher of similar guides is Mappuru, although I've had better luck with Rurubu (this series has directed me to a number of really great restaurants over the years). And there are some others.

At any rate, it's worth a look in the travel guide section of a large bookstore. They will carry guides for the whole country, and other maps as well.

That said, I've usually found that the free maps available in local tourist information centers are fairly adequate. One problem with the Rurubu guides is that they are bulky and weigh a ton.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying detailed local maps 2013/5/1 22:42
The information centers normally have useful tourist maps, but may also have some proper maps for sale. Otherwise konbini normally stock maps for adjoining neighbourhoods, sometimes even at a choice of scales.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread