Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Entering stores, restaurants, etc, what say? 2013/5/4 03:16
Heyo,
I was thinking when entering stores (like small cheramic stores or regular 7-eleven or Book Off) or restaurants, etc. What would I be expected to say to the staff? Like "Konnichiwa" or "Konbanwa" or anything? If it is a lone staff member I dont want to be rude and enter saying nothing.

Last time I went to Japan was so long ago I hardly remember what I actually said, probably just nodded and entered like nothing, but I remember the frequent "Irasshaimase!" when entering many stores.
by Nisse (guest)  

Re: Entering stores, restaurants, etc, what say? 2013/5/4 10:58
Expected? Nothing. A nod is well enough.

But, yes, it would be a nice gesture to say "Konnichiwa" (during the day) or "Konbanwa" (at night) if it's a small place, or perhaps if it's a touristical laid back place.

You can also call out "Sumimasen" or "Gomenkudasai" if no one is there to greet you.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Entering stores, restaurants, etc, what say? 2013/5/10 10:37
Yeah i think it comes as a bit of a surprise to them if you actually reply to their 'irrashaimasse' but it's a nice enough gesture if you want to reply, i guess. Actually, it'll make you stand out as a tourist but eh, knock your socks off. You can reply 'aishiteru'....:-}
by halfnhalf rate this post as useful

Re: Entering stores, restaurants, etc, what say? 2013/5/10 10:38
Just on the off chance that you didn't realise, I was just joking with what you should say but if you want to experience a nice awkward moment on your holiday, go for it...be sure to report back here how it went.
by halfnhalf rate this post as useful

Re: Entering stores, restaurants, etc, what say? 2013/5/11 00:17
A lot of times store workers absentmindedly yell out irrashiamase. If they are not paying much attention, I don't acknowledge it. On the other hand, if there is eye contact, I say hi or at least smile.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread