Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much money should I bring to Japan 2013/5/6 03:28
I am going to a host family in the summer from a language exchange, and I need to know how much money do I need to bring for shopping. The host family said they would pay for the transportation,and food for eating out in Japan( Cause we are going to eat together ). Though that is it. So how much should I bring, and I am not going to lie I am a major fashionistia and I love shopping.

Also I have the plane ticket covered
Oh yeah I forgot I am staying with them for 2 weeks.

How much should I bring?
by Japaneselearner456  

Re: How much money should I bring to Japan 2013/5/6 15:04

The simplest answer would be:
as much as you can.

But really, your question is rather silly. The required amount of money is directly proportional to the amount of shopping you will do. Buy a lots of diamond necklaces, bring a LOT of money or buy a couple of t-shirts, only a few euros is needed.

We are not mind readers, so we can't know how much and how expensive stuff you'll be buying... and your financial situation.
by kodama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much money should I bring to Japan 2013/5/6 16:05
While I concur with the PP we can't know your taste- if you look online at shops that you like from Uniqlo to high end fashion stops you'll get an idea of what things cost.

Of course there are plenty of places that have no website for example in Harajuku there's a place I like to get cute socks that always has a 3pr for Y1000-

My son went on exchange for 10mths and had a lot of excess baggage due to his love of Manga and Arashi- so you need to bear your airlines weight limits in mind too.

If you are seriously going to shop up a storm bring as little as possible from your home country so you have room in the suitcase- your host family will be happy for you to wash your own clothes.

Cute funky shirts from Uniqlo Y1000- 100% cotton and always wash and wear really well.

Hope that helps some?
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much money should I bring to Japan 2013/5/7 00:58
Since 2 weeks is a long time, just in case I would bring some cash for food and transport in case you go out by yourself. As for shopping, prices are roughly the same as in the U.S.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: How much money should I bring to Japan 2013/5/7 09:44
Depending on your body shape you may have problems with Japanese clothes.
There has been many posts on this forum about women having trouble finding clothes that fit.

I am a man, medium size, under 6ft, and only T-S fits me. Jackets are too small in the shoulders, pants are OK at the waist but too tight it the legs...
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread