Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to say to my host family? 2013/5/8 06:04
I'm now on the plane to Japan for my host family, but I don't know what to say to them. I am quite shy when meeting new people, but I get loud when people get to know me.
What do I say to them when I get there? I feel scared now. :(
Unrelated questions:
How to last a airplane travel? I am not too keen on being on a airplane for 6-9 hours.

Would they be awkward around me, since I am light skinned( Black person )?

I am so nervous. :(
by Japaneselearner456  

Re: What to say to my host family? 2013/5/8 15:55
Be yourself. Shy is actually better in many ways then too confident and cocky. You can be polite and sweet and quiet. I imagine you would be a wonderful home stay guest. Your host family will be curious and may ask questions but I am fairly sure they will not judge you harshly for being quiet and sweet.
by hirosumi rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to my host family? 2013/5/9 04:22
Hate to say it, but from Virginia it's more like 15 hours. Bring a really good book, and check out the movies onboard. Stretch before boarding, and stretch out a few times during the flight. If you are like me, don't expect to sleep much and be dead tired when you get there. :(
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to my host family? 2013/5/9 18:20
I was super nervous coming to Japan for the first time as well, and I have to agree with the person who said to just be yourself. Just let yourself be shy, and keep carrying around a polite and respectful heart. Trust me, Japanese people will see it and it will compensate for all the faux pas and blunders you will make.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to say to my host family? 2013/5/10 00:26
Not sure what you mean exactly with your question, but I've had the same experience a few years back (meeting my host family for the first time, being shy and all) so here's some advice:

(Also, not sure how much Japanese you know, so I will just assume and give you the basics)

* Bow. Don't be shy to bow more than once. The Japanese really do this a lot. It's a sign of respect. :)

* 'Yoroshiku onegaishimasu' is a very good end to your introduction when you meet them for the first time. The meaning is something like "Please take care of me" or "I hope we have a good relationship" or something like that.

* Offer to help with the housework! My host mom loved it when I helped her around the kitchen. It's also bonding time :D

At the end of your stay, say:
"Osewa ni narimashita."
which means something like "I am indebted to you." or "I am incredibly thankful."

Aaah, I'm so excited for you. I miss the days when I was an exchange student in Japan too. Good luck and have a great time! :)
by Karen Y rate this post as useful

reply to this thread