Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it inappropriate to visit a Geisha house? 2013/5/23 03:28
I'm a woman and I love the Geisha culture. What I want to know is it a cultural no-no or will people think I'm weird for visiting such establishments?
by StarGirl96  

Re: Is it inappropriate to visit a Geisha house? 2013/5/23 17:52
I'm afraid you will not be allowed into a Geisha house. It's not a tourist location and it's most likely off-limits to anyone outside the industry.
by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it inappropriate to visit a Geisha house? 2013/5/23 21:16
As the previous poster has said, it is impossible for you to just visit an active ochaya unless you are invited by a patron of the establishment and even then it is not very likely. If you are really interested in the culture and want a glimpse of the flower and willow world then you should plan your visit to coincide with one of the annual dances that each hanamachi hold or one of the matsuri that geisha perform at. There are also other seasonal events that tourists can attend but often these aren't widely publicised. Another way to see a Maiko dance performance is to attend a Gion Corner performance. This is an hour long show featuring various traditional Japanese arts that is put on specifically for tourists: http://www.kyoto-gioncorner.com/global/en.html
You can also visit some former Geisha houses such as Seiun-an in Kyoto https://kyotomachiyastay.com/index.php/en/windows-to-japan-machiya-loc...
by Kikuya rate this post as useful

Re: Is it inappropriate to visit a Geisha house? 2013/5/23 22:55
Thank you for your suggestions.
by StarGirl96 rate this post as useful

Re: Is it inappropriate to visit a Geisha house? 2013/5/24 18:48
Kanazawa has a wonderful Geisha area:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4206.html
I recommend Shima House: it will provide all you wish to know, without the actual presence of or imposition onto the Geisha personally.
We loved it
Enjoy!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Is it inappropriate to visit a Geisha house? 2013/5/27 10:31
I'm a woman and I love the Geisha culture. What I want to know is it a cultural no-no or will people think I'm weird for visiting such establishments?

If you are talking about attending a dinner with a geisha performance (be it at an ochaya, hotel, etc.) then no problem. It wouldn't be considered strange. But it may be hard to book the event, and you may need to go through an agency or guided tour to do so. Also, expect it to be rather expensive as you are essentially booking a high priced dinner together with a professional entertainer.

On the other hand, if you are talking about visiting their actual residences, then no, it is not normal to visit the homes (okiya) of practicing geisha. You can visit some historical Okiya at a few of the geisha districts such as in Kanazawa as fmj mentioned.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Is it inappropriate to visit a Geisha house? 2013/5/27 10:51
On second thought, the preserved houses in the geisha districts tend to be Ochaya. Not really sure where you can see a preserved Okiya.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Is it inappropriate to visit a Geisha house? 2013/5/30 08:58
Normally you need an introduction to visit a geisha house. We arranged it through Sayuki www.sayuki.net. Sayuki works with geisha from all around Tokyo and Japan too, even Kyoto if you want to do it there. You can have a traditional Japanese dinner at a real tea-house and call geisha, usually Sayuki and at least one other geisha according to your budget. Sayuki has hangyoku (maiko) in her own house and we got one of them too!
by Mal (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it inappropriate to visit a Geisha house? 2013/5/30 15:02
Do people really travel all the way to Japan to see a 50 year old gaijin dressed up as a geisha?
by u gotta be kidding (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it inappropriate to visit a Geisha house? 2013/9/19 11:48
Do you know the address to the hanafusa okiya
by destiny (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread