Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temples customary pratice 2013/5/24 14:57
We would like to visit temples and shrine like Imamiya Ebisu Shrine, Shintennoji temple and Nara's Todaiji. Are there any rules or regulations or any customary practice when visiting? Things that we should avoid doing? Thank you.
by chuiji  

Re: Temples customary pratice 2013/5/25 10:45
Something like this?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2057.html

One difference between temples and shrines: you clap your hands at a shrine, but never at a temple :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temples customary pratice 2013/5/27 12:56
The Japan Guide mentions the gong at a shrine.
It means the bell with string hanging. Pull the sting a couple of times, not too hard but make some noise to make sure to wake up the god of the shrine and throw some money in the money box. More you donate, better chance of your prayer heard, lol. Then clap hands twice & pray.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temples customary pratice 2013/5/28 18:20
Thank you to all. :)
by chuiji rate this post as useful

Re: Temples customary pratice 2013/5/28 19:19
Very useful.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2057.html
You are not supposed to transfer the water directly from the ladle into your mouth

I sometimes see person who do that,
but the ladle is shared, so that's lacking in sanitation.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

S.O.S, where to buy Kracie okashi? 2013/6/3 00:58
My daughter has been bugging me with this over my 2 days in Osaka. I've tried the departmental on the basement level of Takashimaya. I don't seems to be able to find it. I'm leaving Osaka to Tokyo on 5 June. Please HELP!!!!!
by chuiji rate this post as useful

Re: Temples customary pratice 2013/6/3 02:57
Chuji. Yiu should ask this as a new question. More people will see your request that way.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread