Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

sneezes 2013/6/7 21:24
What do Japanese people say when someone sneezes?
by Kevin Chaplin (guest)  

Re: sneezes 2013/6/8 08:44
I observe that the sneezer typically apologizes with a sumimasen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: sneezes 2013/6/8 09:15
I've never heard anyone say anything close to "bless you" when someone else sneezes. It doesn't appear to be Japanese custom.

I heard that goes back to the Black Plague in Europe, so they may not have 'inherited' that custom.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: sneezes 2013/6/8 09:31
The whole point is that you are not supposed to draw attention to someone else's sneeze, so "blessing" them or whatever foreigners do just makes us and everyone else more embarrassed and is not particularly appreciated.
by Ebichan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: sneezes 2013/6/8 22:31
Only some sneezers say "sumimasen" or "shiturei", as Uji said.

Ah, and some elderly men revile "(kon-)chikushou!" or something.
Some explain that abuse is to revile the cold god,
tough I doubt that they revile on purpose...
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: sneezes 2013/6/8 23:54
What do Japanese people say when someone sneezes?

...meaning what do Japanese people say when someone else sneezes, right?

Nothing. Ignore.

by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: sneezes 2013/6/19 15:26
I noticed that alot of people in Tokyo (especially men) didnt cover their mouths when they sneezed....
by MayMay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: sneezes 2013/6/19 15:37
When you sneeze its hakushon.

When somebody else sneezes as said there's no bless you. Though there is a common saying that if you sneeze it means somebody is talking well of you, if you sneeze twice then somebody is talking ill of you, if you sneeze thrice then you're going to catch a cold. More than three times and you're just ill so its a comment to that effect.
by takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: sneezes 2013/6/20 14:31
the one who sneezes will normally excuse himself by saying 'sumimasen', and no one will say anything back
by chocochick rate this post as useful

reply to this thread