Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/11 07:37
I'd like to make a donation to two institutions or companies in Kesennuma and I'd like to know which envelopes to buy. I know there are envelopes for condolence money at funerals and congratulatory money at weddings. While I don't know exactly what those are called, I'm more interested in knowing what a 'relief' donation envelope would be called and where I would be able to purchase them. Are they available at an Itoya or Tokyu Hands? What should I ask for when approaching the salesperson? And to a lesser degree of significance, how much do they usually cost? Thank you for your replies!
by John B digs Japan  

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/11 12:50
As far as I know, there is no envelope specifically for donation. You might just select a nice plain white (or soft-toned/pale colored) envelope, and write ‚¨Œ©•‘‹à on it. But if it is for charities regularly accepting such donations, even that would not really be necessary. If you are giving money to a relative in a hospital, or to someone you know who has suffered from a natural disaster and you are providing an "immediate" relief, writing ‚¨Œ©•‘‹à would be the correct manner :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/11 13:05
As AK wrote, there is no special rule in Japan to use specific envelope when you donate. You may use white envelope, as AK said, but I think you may do it in your way in your country, which might encourage Kesennuma people.

Further, I think it better to enclose a letter indicating your name, address, and amount of money. Of course your encouraging message would be fine. If you want to donate as an anonymous person, you should write it.

Thank you very much for your kindness and support.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/11 21:20
AK and frog1954, thank you for your responses and kind words. I will be visiting Kesennuma and while I'm there I wish to make it to a particular company that I wish to thank. I read this aricle recently and I hope to be able to make it there to help add to their tsunami relief fund they so generously donated.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/06/tsunami-victims-pay-back...
I also wish to donate to the city itself, but I'd rather do it in person than do it through Paypal or something else. I wish to make contact with these people and perhaps start a good long-distance relationship with the good people of Kesennuma. Does this sound weird?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/11 22:09
You are a kind soul, John B digs Japan :)

And what this company is doing is laudable... I don't know their products, but is there any way you can buy some of their products and introduce them back in the States or something? For that company, maybe it should not really be ‚¨Œ©•‘‚¢, but ¡Žu ("just a small thought for you") kind of thing, because you are pitching in to their fund :) For the city it will be ‚¨Œ©•‘‚¢.

I know you know a great deal about Japan, but I don't know about your language proficiency - I hope you will be able to communicate your intentions well :)

About the long-distance relationship: Your visit will be found encouraging, and might just kick off a good friendship that might last, particularly with the denim company people :)
But city hall people, I don't know. Japanese tend to find it easier to build "relationship" when it is something official - like sister city friendship/partnership, or company to company, for example, one denim company to another - but I don't know how the city hall people might react to an individual, not representing the city of Moore, for example, showing up and simply out of respect saying he would like to keep contact.

OK, this seems to be the Oikawa Denim products.
http://sooooos.com/shop/oikawadenim/index

For Kesennuma City, they say please come to the Social Welfare Office of the city for cash donation (located next to the city hall, it seems).

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/12 01:12
John B digs Japan,

Bottom line, why not visit a major stationary store, like Ito-ya or something in a big department store, before you leave Tokyo and discuss that with a bilingual clerk?

Roughly speaking, you can pick up a formal envelope for a happy occasion (typically red and white) or a griefing occasion (typically black and white or yellow and white) and have the clerk write the proper words depending on your details.

Formal envelopes are catogorized in detail depending on the occasion and it is hard to pinpoint the design unless we know precisely what you're aiming for. For example, if the amount/value you're donating is huge, it would be better to present a mokuroku than the cash.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/12 01:20
Thank you, AK, you are too kind! :)

As for my proficiency in the Japanese language, well, it's a bit better than atrocious. There are times I've said, "‚²‚ß‚ñó‚¢AŽ„‚Ì“ú–{Œê‚͉ºŽè‚Å‚·B" (you'll have to pardon me, but my phone automatically inserts the kanji) I only can read most hiragana and some katakana. My knowledge on kanji goes no further than 10-20 kanji. I have taken a few classes here and there, but there isn't a better system than immersion. I know what I said, "My Japanese is poor/bad" is a little harsh and abrupt (as if I don't wish to continue to speak in Japanese at the moment), but I always add "‚É‚Ù‚ñ‚²‚ª‚«‚ê‚¢‚Å‚·‚Å‚à‚Æ‚Á‚Ä‚à‚Þ‚¸‚©‚µ‚Å‚·" with a smile and with hope they understand I think the language is beautiful but difficult for me. Whether or not they appreciate the effort, I try to speak as much Japanese as I can to be respectful and polite-after all, it's their language and they need not know English. I have a few translation apps for my phone which can help in a bind, but I always try to "rehearse" what I want to say beforehand so it doesn't seem so awkward.
As far a Japan goes, I love the country. The people are nice, the scenery is beautiful, the culture is extremely rich,the food is excellent and the transport(which I enjoy) is the best I've experienced. When the earthquake and tsunami happened, I was devastated. I donated to the Japanese Red Cross through my Japanese Society in Chicago when I was taking classes. I donated through my employer (a large home improvement retailer) who matched my donation. I saw the news and reports and was shocked at the damage. I'm not a wealthy person by all means, so I save all I can to go to Japan for holiday. The last one I made sure to coincide with the commemoration of the first anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami. I made sure I was in Ishinomaki on 3/11/12 and was atop Hiyoriyama when 2:46 came and the siren went off. I spent about nine hours in Ishinomaki and wept nearly half the time. A few people asked me if I was alright or if I knew someone who had perished. I told them the best I could that I didn't know anyone personally but that I lost nearly twenty thousand potential friends that day. Most people thought I came from Tokyo or Sendai, but when I told them I came from Chicago, they were surprised and thankful. Some people on this side of the world won't ever forget what happened, no matter how much time goes by. I wished to make it to Okawa Elementary to offer my condolences to those teachers and students who lost their lives there and for the four children left to be found, but instead of Okawa, somehow I ended up in Onagawa by mistake and lost the opportunity. This October, I will correct my mistake and I know where it is now and will take a taxi if I have to in order to make it to that remote place. I wish to buy flowers and place them there and pray, but I don't know which flowers to get. I'm a shy person with a good heart but sometimes I don't know if these things are proper or will be taken the correct way.
When it comes to making relationships, perhaps all I want is to keep in touch with people there. I don't have friends in Japan and it would be nice to have that connection. Thank you for the link to the Denim company, that will help. Maybe I can buy a few bags, but I don't know anyone who can sell them here. Maybe if we keep in touch, I can find a retailer they can do business with. Who knows what possibilities the future holds!
AK, if you've read this, thank you for your patience and if you can add any etiquette or custom information to help me, I'll definitely appreciate it!

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/12 02:50
Uco, thank you very much for your input! I was thinking about the Itoya in Ginza (the only one I know) or Tokyu Hands. Are they called anything different than "envelope"? Since I'm not a man of great wealth, I could only afford maybe \10,000 or \15,000 if that helps narrow down the kind of envelope to get. Thank you once again!

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/12 23:33
John,

Are they called anything different than "envelope"?

I don't think so. At least as long as you're communicating in English.

By the way, someone earlier suggested that you enclose a letter indicating your name, address, and amount of money. That sounds very proper, but then the recipient will be obligated to send you back things like receipts and letters which will force them to pay for postage.

If you think the postage money should be spent for other things, you should make it clear that you don't need anything sent back. You can write about that on your letter, if any.

Also, it's a nice gester to propose a long relationship with the company and city, but do keep in mind that one of the biggest problems that occurr after disasters is about organizing indivisuals who want to help. It's fine to go to their door and hand someone the envelopes, but for further communication, it would be best if you can get in touch with one of your favorite NPOs, a big group that can handle their helpers well.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/13 17:19
I believe the city hall (Social Welfare Office) will accept the money, note the amount, probably ask you to write down your name (and address), give you a receipt, thank you, and that might be it, as they accept many donations.

For the company, if you "hit it off" with the company people and want to keep an ongoing contact, you could leave you card with e-mail address or something on it, so that they are sure that this it for friendship, not feeling obligated to send you anything in return.

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/13 19:02
AK and Uco, thank you spending time to read these long posts, I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately, all this may be for naught , as I just realized the day I'll be in Kesennuma happens to be a national holiday, Sports Day, and both places are likely to be closed. :(

Now I don't know what to do. I know the denim factory is quite far from Kesennuma proper so I don't know if I can make it there.

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/13 19:13
John,

Please check for messages in your "my page."

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/13 19:22
If that is the only day you can go, then you can try sending cash via "genkin kakitome" (registered mail with cash) with a letter enclosed. This should work for both the company and the city hall.

Re: What are donation envelopes called? 2013/6/14 20:27
If the Peaceboat offices are still open on the day of the holiday, then I'll change my visit to Ishinomaki for the holiday. I can always reserve my boat tour online for the Matsushima Bay I was going to have coincide with the Ishinomaki visit. That'll give me the day after the holiday to spend in Kesennuma.

I also am aware there are Peaceboat offices near Shin-Okubo and that I can always go there, but I'd like to go to the Ishinomaki offices if possible.

reply to this thread