Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

purchasing a cell phone as a tourist 2013/6/14 12:58
Hi,

I'm going to Tokyo next week and I would like to purchase a new unlocked phone to take back with me to the EU. I wont be using this new phone on my trip. It is specifically for use when I get home. Is this possible and worth the trouble?
by Virginia (guest)  

Re: purchasing a cell phone as a tourist 2013/6/15 07:37
Technically it is possible to use a Japanese cell phone in Europe. But even your local calls in your home country may become international calls as your call first goes to Japan and then come back. You have to pay 5 euro for every 30 second local call.

But a bigger question is that you need a bank account from which monthly bill is automatically deducted and maybe your residence certificate in Japan to get into contract with a cell phone conpany. You should ask cell phone companies what the deal is.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: purchasing a cell phone as a tourist 2013/6/15 08:43
Ibelieve the original poster meant buying only the cekkphone it self (as in the electronic), without any bill attached to it?

In Brazil, where I come from, it would be totally OK. However I remember a friend who went to Japan last year telling me she did not buy an Iphone while in japan because 'it would not work in here'. Dunno if it is true.
by CecilSoares rate this post as useful

Re: purchasing a cell phone as a tourist 2013/6/15 09:41
Wouldn't the software also be in Japanese?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: purchasing a cell phone as a tourist 2013/6/15 11:53
Yes, you can buy international factory unlocked cell phones.

They are multi language. You need to check the specifications of your home country network, and make sure it matches the phone you buy. Some of these are expensive, particularly iPhones.

You can find these phones in four shops around Akihabara, called "iosys"
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: purchasing a cell phone as a tourist 2013/6/15 11:56
In all honesty i wouldn't bother. Don't expect to find top of the range phones at cheap prices because that won't happen. You would be far better off buying a phone in your own country.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: purchasing a cell phone as a tourist 2013/6/17 17:15
Is this possible and worth the trouble?

Whether or not its possible depends on the model phone you are interested in and the options for service in your country. Not all unlocked phones will work in all countries, and some of the features may not work even if you can get service.

Whether or not its worth the trouble also depends on the model phone you are looking for. It may also be more/less expensive to buy one here than in your own country, but again that depends on the specific phone.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: purchasing a cell phone as a tourist 2013/6/18 07:43
yes you can buy unlocked phone in Japan BUT not new phone from telecom company(softbank/docomo/au) as those new phone are basically tied to contract. and you have to pay upfront alot of money.

as mentioned by above, you can get 'new' mint conditioned phone (but consider 2nd hand) from Akihabara or you can checkout the internet where they sell 'siro rom' phone, phone that is no longer tied to telecom company but not all is unlock.
as of now, only docomo phone can be unlock at docomo store for 3150yen unlock fee, you will need identification(passport, identity form etc.).
few website where you can check for prices and model :-
1. musbi.net - http://www.musbi.net/sys/c/116107.html
2.iosys.co.jp
3.http://www.sofmap.com/product_list/exec/_/gid=UD12000000

or do google search for 中古携帯・スマホ(2nd hand phone smartphone) or 白ロム携帯・スマホ

also please not in japan sometime UNLOCK is known as SIM FREE(SIMフリー)
by tanshin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: purchasing a cell phone as a tourist 2013/6/18 08:09
Some of those details are wrong.

Iosys sell both used and new phones at Akihabara.

They sell new phones without contract.

AU - don't buy these as they are CDMA2000, unless you get the newest LTE phones (but check your home LTE frequencies)

Softbank - Don't bother with Softbank, as you can't unlock these.

DoCoMo - You can get these unlocked at DoCoMo shops for 3150 yen, but these are DoCoMo badged phones (e.g. Samsung) so they have different versions, with some specific DoCoMo apps installed.(also, you will not find an unlocking code on the internet, so DoCoMo must unlock them) Check 3G & LTE frequencies carefully to match your home country.

Factory unlocked (SIM Free) phones. These international standard versions.

e.g. I recently bought a DoCoMo badged Samsung Galaxy TAB 7.7
While the factory unlocked one is around 44,000 yen new, the DoCoMo badged one is 27,800yen new, or a good second hand one is 23,800 yen.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread