Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Meeting Japanese penfriend 2013/6/17 03:41
I have been in contact with a penfriend from Japan for a number of months. I am a 30 year old male and she's a 24 year old female. There is nothing romantic about our meeting, she is merely visiting my country and I am showing her round some sites for a few days.

This is my first time meeting a Japanese person in a situation like this, I was wondering how best to do things like introductions etc, should I defer to the Japanese way of a bow? Or a formal handshake? Personally if it were a Western penfriend, I'd greet them with a hug. Would this be out of bounds with a Japanese female?

It sounds trivial, but I don't want to ruin any atmosphere by being too forward. Thanks.
by Guest (guest)  

Re: Meeting Japanese penfriend 2013/6/17 11:26
Oh, great thoughtfulness.
At first, I can recommend to shake hands, maybe she is not used to hug.
But do as you think fit in your country, there is not Japan.
If you visit Japan, will you hate Japanese style?
She will think "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting Japanese penfriend 2013/6/18 01:40
I was in a similar situation two years ago, only my penpal and I were both female and the same age.

You can't really go wrong with a handshake and a smile, but you can follow it with a hug or a typical greeting from your country - if there is one (in mine we kiss on the cheeks) -, if she's all right with it. Don't be afraid to ask "Do you mind if I hug you/kiss you on the cheeks/whatever? It's how we greet friends here."

If the two of you are more at ease around each other when she leaves, a hug wouldn't be inadequate, but this is just my Western opinion.
by Pirilampo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread