Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Engraving / Monograms 2013/6/19 17:00
How do Japanese people generally feel about engraved gifts? For example, if I get a swiss pocket knife for a friend, there's an option to have the person's named engraved on it in english. I think it would be nice but what do you think - better to go with engraving or without? I could also just have the person's initials monogrammed on the case.
by . (guest)  

Re: Engraving / Monograms 2013/6/19 17:34
Actually... same poster here. I have another question about gifts. Is it ok to give a gift of between 4,000 - 6,000 yen in value when I leave to some special people who have really helped me out over the 4 years I've lived here?

I've heard this whole "burden on the receiver" thing but these are really good friends who have done a LOT for me and i really want to give them these gifts (for example, I want to give a few close friends a small Coach wristlet hand bag that cost about 5,000 yen in the states (my friend is going to mail me a box with my various leaving gifts). I know it would be way more expensive here so I think it's a nice idea but... any thoughts?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Engraving / Monograms 2013/6/19 22:42
I'm not sure that I'd give a knife as a parting gift. Others may disagree and say that it's fine but in the same way that one should never give a knife as a wedding gift because it signifies cutting - and is therefore a metaphor for separation - it may be that the same principle applies in this case.

Perhaps a native nihonjin could comment on that?

I don't think that there would be any issue with engraving although I have to say that I haven't noticed much of that sort of thing in my nearly 2 decades in Japan.

As for your parting gifts, I personally feel that your friends will be happy to receive anything that comes with your sincere appreciation for all they've done for you and you shouldn't worry unduly about the actual yennage involved.
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Engraving / Monograms 2013/6/22 12:59
Hi, I'm Japanese and I think name engraved swiss pocket knife is really nice gift.
I got a swiss pocket knife as a gift long time ago and loved it! It's something you might not buy by yourself but it is really great and convenient. And if your name is engraved, it makes really special.
But as Saru Bob san mentioned, knives are not recognized as a good wedding gift so you have to be careful with that.

As for Coach wristlet handbag, I think it is very nice of you to organize something special like that. In my opinion, \5000 for just thank you gift is quite expensive but that depends how close you are with that person.
They might get surprised to see such a expensive gifts but I'm not sure.
My mum got a small Loui Vuitton coin purse as a souvenir before from somebody so it may not weird to give expensive gifts.
in my case, I spend about \1000-3000 for thank you gifts and \5000-10000 for birthday gifts for family.

by hana (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread