Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tipping at a high end ryokan 2013/6/25 12:40
Hi,
I am going to Japan in the fall and I have reserved at two ryokans. One high end one in hakone about 70000 yen per night for two people, and a budget/mid end one in yufuin, at 24000 yen a night for two people.

I read that it is customary to give a "kokorozuke", a small gift in an envelope to the person who shows me to my room at the start of my stay. I assume in yufuin it is not expected (i do not get served dinner in my room), but is it expected for my place in hakone, which is much higher end and I get served dinner in my room? I don't want to offend anyone and want to do what is culturally appropriate. If it is expected, how much should I give? Thanks for any insight into this.
by aregma  

Re: Tipping at a high end ryokan 2013/6/26 13:10
We've stayed at plenty of medium and high end ryokans and I've never come across the concept of tipping before. We usually give little gifts though - something nice but not extravagant. That isnt to say that tipping is not the done thing, but I've never heard of it. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping at a high end ryokan 2013/6/26 13:51
Tipping is not required at ryokan, but some people still do it, especially at nicer/more expensive places. 1000 yen per person placed in a small envelope (sold at conbini) and given at the end of an in-room check-in is appropriate. See this page for more info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2029_arrival.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping at a high end ryokan 2013/6/26 14:02
Japan is like Europe. No tipping. All the charges, taxes etc. are included in the price of an item or service.

However if you feel that you were well taken care of, you may give a gift. For example we once arrived at a big hotel in Tokyo several hours after the time we were supposed to check-in due to a plane delay (We did call the desk from the Nagoya airport).
Our room had been given to someone else so they upgraded us to a big suite for the same price AND for our whole stay.

We bought a fancy box of chocolate for the desk clerk and he was both embarrassed at first then thrilled.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping at a high end ryokan 2013/6/26 14:02
ahhhhhh...thanks for that. At least we've been giving gifts. One of the things I love about Japan is the absence of the tipping
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping at a high end ryokan 2013/6/26 21:15
Or when you clearly expect to cause trouble them in advance.
For example, members of your group have a plan to drink sake heavily, you stay with so mischievous children and so on.

About small envelope sold at conbini, be careful not to buy one for funerals. If you're unsure, the plain envelope is OK.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping at a high end ryokan 2013/6/26 23:50
Yes, we have such customes called 'kokorozuke'. Actually I did it last month in Kaike onsen.

In your case, a serving lady who will lead you to your room, serve your dinner to your room, clean up your dinner and so on. She comes into and out of your room often. Usually in such high end one person is assigned to take care of you. Upon the arrival 'okami san =proprietress' will show up for coutesy greeting to you in your room, so do not give her money by mistake.

Usually you give the serving lady (nakai-san) about 3,000 yen or so. Timing is when she comes back to your room to clean up the room table after your dinner. When she is about to leave, you just give it to her saying 'thank you for your greate service'. Do not mention 'this is kokorozuke'. The money is usually wrapped in tissue paper and hand it to her politely.

This is common, but not a must. They do not expect much to you. But if you offer the gratitude, they will reluctantly accept it. This customs can not be seen in restaurants or moderate ryokans since such dedicated person is not asigned to the guests.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping at a high end ryokan 2013/6/27 10:45
Yeah, Japan is generally no tipping.
Its irrelevant to the thread but @monkey see: like Europe? In Europe people tip.
by takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tipping at a high end ryokan 2013/6/27 13:49
I shouldn't have generalized..We do tip in some Euro countries, France for example. But it is actually included in the price of meals, along with taxes.

Cab drivers do not expect tips, but are allowed to charge extra it there are more suitcases than people. Hotel maids do not expect tips either.

In a cafe if the bill is Euros 2.80 some people will leave E. 3.00 but it is not necessary.

I do know, from experience, and from reading nearly everyday a blog about Paris, that most North-Americans insist that they must tip like at home...20%... sure, if they leave that money behind them, most staff will not run after them to give it back...but this is wrong.

I have visited several Euro countries through the years and in many of them giving a tip on top of the bill is not done. In fact if one pays with a credit card, there is no way to add a tip to the amount of the bill.

I used to live in France, by the way(and travel there yearly) and ate all my weekdays lunches and dinners in a restaurant across my house. I never left a tip as it was included. Like all regular customers I paid once a month.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread