Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How easy is this name to pronounce? 2013/7/2 08:07
I will be teaching elementary English, but not at public schools. Many of my friends teaching said they were not referred to by name, but in this school setting, if I am, will Danielle be difficult to pronounce? I taught English back home to children and they pronounced Danielle as Daniel. The children decided to call me Dan instead. Would Dan or Dani be easier?
by danielle///dani///dan (guest)  

Re: How easy is this name to pronounce? 2013/7/2 12:13
Watch the Karate Kid, it will be the same!
Seriously though, it won't be that hard. They'll just call you Dan-i-e-ru sensei
by halfnhalf rate this post as useful

Re: How easy is this name to pronounce? 2013/7/2 12:19
The kids will probably end up pronouncing your name more like Daniel, but they can pronounce Danielle correctly if you teach them the proper intonation. In the end though they'll probably just end up calling you Sensei or Daniel Sensei, or Eigo no Sensei. If that bugs you then by all means feel free to go by a nickname, although both Dan and Dani don't sound like the best choices to me.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How easy is this name to pronounce? 2013/7/2 13:14
I assume your name is pronounced with the accent on E, meaning "daniEl," while Daniel is normally pronounced with the accent on A, "DAniel."

If the kids don't call you "Sensei" (Dear Teacher), probably the they will call you DA-ni-e-ru, closer to Daniel, which is not difficult to pronounce. Or they might call you Daniel Sensei.

Dan would be easier, but you don't have to offer that at all (Daniel is easy enough). "dani" is a common noun in Japanese meaning which is no-so-good, so I would never offer that.
by AK rate this post as useful

Try "da-ni-O" 2013/7/3 22:04
danielle,

You probably are more used to be called like "da-ni-O" than "da-ni-e-ru."

The latter is the most common way of pronouncing Daniel here in Japan. Hey, we even have a famous TV talent named Daniel Kahl and he used to be a teacher here.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%80%E3%83%8B%E3%82%A8%E3%83%AB%E3%8...

But you can challenge your students by insisting they call you "da-ni-O." In katakana you'd write it as ダニオー and it would be closer to the American pronunciation but unfamiliar to the Japanese.

Same things are often done for Michael (マイコー instead of マイケル) and so on.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How easy is this name to pronounce? 2013/7/4 10:27
Uco,

IMO, I agree that is a better katakanization for Daniel, but I think she's trying to avoid such masculine pronunciations.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How easy is this name to pronounce? 2013/7/4 21:29
but I think she's trying to avoid such masculine pronunciations.

Oh, I thought that she prefered the children pronouncing Danielle as Daniel. Sorry for my misinterpretation. Thank you for pointing that out, yllwsmrf.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread