Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is this a cultural thing 2013/7/10 16:04
I notice that oftentimes in travel documentaries, the male guests staying at ryokan will often ask the host or chef to refill their rice when she is kneeling beside them, while they eat & comment on the dishes. But if the host or chef is a male, I do not see such behaviour.

I wonder if this is due to how the Japanese view gender-related behaviour in society.
by judy (guest)  

Re: Is this a cultural thing 2013/7/10 22:12
I'm not sure if I understand what you've been seeing.

First of all, in real ryokans, it is the waitress who comes around to serve your rice. The lady of the house (who is usually female) just comes to greet you, but is not responsible for scooping your rice. The chef (who is usually make) hardly comes to the room, but he may occasionally come to greet important guests, and he is not responsible for scooping your rice, either, unless it's a special rice dish that needs extra care when serving.

But generally speaking, in the dining room, women are in charge of serving your food and alcohol, just as English women are in charge of "doing mother" in high tea.

That said, if you are noticing more men having rice served by more women on TV, it may be a gesture to imply the luxury on your vacation-to-be.

For example, it would be a luxury for most women around the world to have food served by a male butler or wine served by a male sommelier, since fewer men do that nowadays. Similarly, fewer women serve on your daily dinner table at home, even in Japan ;)

I notice that oftentimes in travel documentaries, the male guests staying at ryokan will often ask the host or chef to refill their rice when she is kneeling beside them, while they eat & comment on the dishes. But if the host or chef is a male, I do not see such behaviour.
I wonder if this is due to how the Japanese view gender-related behaviour in society.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread