Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dining for One 2013/7/20 13:46
Hi

Im finally going to be visiting Japan in September. Primarily i will be staying in Osaka for 13 days, with trips out with to Kobe, Kyoto, Nara, Uji etc etc.

My question is, since im going to be travelling on my own, do restaurants/Izakaya have any policy for single diners? I know basic Japanese, but are there any hints or tips i should know? Especially if i want to try some things that are normally enjoyed in groups (like shabu-shabu)

Im not expecting any English language menus everywhere or anything like that. Just some basic advice!

Cheers for your help!

John
by neebong  

Re: Dining for One 2013/7/21 18:58
I've been dining out regularly as a female local for more than 30 years and the only time I was discouraged from going in, because of the fact that I was alone, was when the restaurant had a policy of serving food in huge portions.

The host said, "Our portions are fit for 2 people or more, are you sure it's okay?" (in Japanese) as if it was not. I could've said it was okay, but I admit I wasn't that hungry.

Otherwise, nowadays, doing something alone is sort of like a fad (we call it "hitori (something)") so no one will be surprized at someone trying to do anything alone, even yakiniku.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Dining for One 2013/7/21 22:02
When it comes to izakaya, generally anyplace with a counter will be fairly comfortable for a single diner. Counter-based cuisines like tempura and sushi are also fine, and informal cuisines like tonkatsu, curry, ramen, etc.

Restaurants in department stores are also generally set up with single diners in mind, and of course restaurants in hotels.

When dining alone I would avoid restaurants with private dining rooms and/or very formal cuisines like kaiseki, mostly because it's kind of boring sitting in a room by yourself for a couple of hours.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Dining for One 2013/7/22 03:31
Have fun! I've been to Japan quite a few times, most of the time alone and have never had a problem dining alone. The only places I have not dined at are real high end restaurants where I would feel awkward eating alone. Always choose a booth if you can. I find the service is a bit faster.
by gsdubs rate this post as useful

Re: Dining for One 2013/7/22 23:52
Thanks for all your replies!

I know i wont starve! Especially in Osaka!

Just need to start learning my foods in Hiragana!

Cheers!
by neebong rate this post as useful

Re: Dining for One 2013/7/24 16:32
Note that many izakaya styles serve you a so-called o-toh-shi at the beginning, that is a small plate of apetizer, before you order anything. It is 300 yen to 500 yen with no choice to refuse it. So it is charged to you in addition to your orders. It is a kind of the table charge. Do not go mad and shout out when you find it in your bill. Some places it happens, while the other not. Hard to tell which one is yer, which one is not.

If you don't like it, you can just go to Yoshinoya or the like.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dining for One 2013/7/24 22:10
I should say that probably Japan is the most oriented country to single diners, so I think there shouldn't be anything you have to be worried about.

My first time in Japan I traveled on my own and I didn't have any problem neither in izakayas nor any other kind of restaurants.

Enjoy your trip, Japan is one of the most friendly country for alone travelers
by javi rate this post as useful

Re: Dining for One 2013/7/24 23:16
I agree. I ate alone for 3 days and didn't feel any discomfort. I just pop into a food shop when I feel hungry. In fact, what I observed was that quite a few Japanese ate alone too. I was like the only foreigner. So there's nothing to worry. Just brush up on your hiragana so you know what's on the menu! It always gives me a sense of satisfaction whenever I could read what's on the menus, buildings, train stations, etc! :)
by bebegurl rate this post as useful

Re: Dining for One 2013/9/16 21:54
Hi everyone that replied (and may be following)

Your advice was spot on, I'm currently in Oaaka enjoying myself to the full!

Cheers!
by neebong rate this post as useful

Re: Dining for One 2013/9/17 11:14
In Osaka, there seems to be one person shop shabu shabu.
http://shabuchin-namba.com/index_e.html
The tavern of Kyoto, have already entered alone me.
But, eating a meal in the food court and cafes in many cases.
by haro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dining for One 2013/9/17 21:23
On my first trip to Japan I stayed alone for 15 days and never had any trouble anywhere.
But I agree that maybe somewhere too formal will be a bit boring for one single person. But anywhere else should be totally fine.
by aerond rate this post as useful

Re: Dining for One 2013/10/9 06:43
If you are alone, belt-conveyor sushi bar is one of best choice. It is self served style Sushi bar. Many people enjoy by oneself.
This is Tokyo Belt-conveyor sushi bar ranking web site. You can find how to enjoy and manner.

Belt-conveyor sushi bar
http://tokyosushiranking.blogspot.jp/
by Taka (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread