Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/6 23:31
Hi, i'm staying in japan for 16 nights, 14/09-01/10
I'm arriving in narita airport and going to stay in a hostel in tokyo for 4 nights.
After that i want to visit some onsen north of tokyo (they look pretty good). And then going to kyoto and/or osaka. Then returning to a hostel close to narita airport for my last 2 days.

Questions:
1.:In which order should i do these things (first onsen, then kyoto or kyoto first..).
2.: I think travelling from tokyo to kyoto will be quite expensive with the train so i'll be taking the bus, should i buy the 5 days bus pass? And i want to avoid buying the rail pass, it's just way to expensive (almost costs as much as my plane ticket)

And is going to kyoto really worth it? (not really a fan of temples)
by K (guest)  

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/7 10:40
Your last question - so what do you plan to see in Kyoto?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/7 22:04
Re: Kyoto, that all depends on your interests. A better idea of what you'd like to see may help the community offer more detailed suggestions.

For example, I'm not a huge fan of temples myself, but I'm something of an enthusiast for Japanese gardens, architecture, and history - plenty to see in Kyoto for all 3 areas of interest.

Cheerio.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/7 23:08
I'd like to point out - if you head north of Tokyo, and then do a round-trip to Kyoto, your train costs will be the same as a one-week JR pass (or higher). Many onsen have pricey ryokan associated with them. I would do more research there.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/8 01:57
I think most onsen allow you to leave without having to stay in the ryokan? http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/
i'll just stay at a cheap hostel that's close..(if there is one)

As for what i'd like to see: onsen, nature, and i'm a fan of samurai/ninja "stuff",maybe a nice bar, technology, shopping malls, some outdoor markets.

@ChicagoMike: i'm gonna try using the bus as much as i can.

Thanks for all the answers.
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/8 02:04
If you want a shopping mall, JR Kyoto station has one underground plus a department store plus all sorts of restaurants on the upper floors.
All the friends I have taken to Kyoto just HAD to spend several hours in the station..they were amazed by it.

There is of course Kyoto movie land where you may e able to see movie samourai.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3934.html
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/8 02:34
As a student, i care more about the cost than the duration of travelling :D.
I want to spend most of my money on things i can bring back. Not on transportation. So is it really worth it to go to Kyoto? Or to just stay in tokyo and going north of tokyo for onsen/nature?

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/8 03:35
You don't need to go to Kyoto. If you already bought your plane tickets, you could do day trips to Kamakura and Nikko instead. If you love them, you'll want to go to Kyoto at some point, maybe next trip.

I really have no idea about onsen, but if I had to guess less than 25% allow day visitors. So you should do some research in advance. I'm not sure if you could find a hostel in a small onsen town either.

One alternative - you can try some of the public baths in Tokyo. Some are supposed to be pretty good.

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/8 03:53
ok, thanks! I'll check Kamakura and Nikko out.
And according to http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/ , most onsen in the kanto region allow day visitors ( i hope i can trust the website)

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/8 04:50
I would post the onsen question separately here and on tripadvisor.com.

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/8 13:15
I find secret-japan to be pretty reliable. Do you have any specific places in mind?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/8 17:30
I was thinking, Tenzan and Kani yu?

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/10 16:53
I am sure most of the onzens allow a day visit without a ryokan stay. I am looking forward to see some too. Will like to hear your opinions on those you visited.
BTW, I have bought a Japanese traditional show ticketin Tokyo for end September which I cannot attend and is not refundable. Can give it to you if you want.
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/10 16:59
Beside the samurai theme park mentioned above, I understand there are some old theatres that show old Japanese movies every day. You pay for 1 ticket and get to watch 2 or more movies. I am sure there will be Samurai classics but I am still searching where to find them.

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/10 21:51
Thanks Lee!
I would love to attend a traditional show, when is the exact date? Because i might go to a hostel close to narita airport (30 september, because i'm leaving 1 october).

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/11 21:45
Hi K,

The show is on Sept 28, 2pm in Tokyo. If you are keen, I will try to get back the website so you can check it out. I don't come in here regularly and this thread may be difficult to find later. Do you have I e-mail that I can keep in touch with you ?

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/11 23:29
Hey Lee,
you can contact me on Mrjuicyfruity@gmail.com

Re: solo travel (male-student) 2013/8/14 09:25
Try Ito for an onsen experience. If time is not too important, it may be possible to stay in K's House Ito Onsen plus transport from Tokyo for 2 nights for close to 10000 \ total, or maybe a little more. Ive stayed here too many times to count, but always in a private room and not the dorm. There are also other possible places such as Hakone Hostel which has a onsen but I did not get the name perfect
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread