Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

6 Days Tokyo in September 2013/8/7 17:40
Hi, we are a young couple planning to tour tokyo in mid sept for 6 days.

These are the places we have in mind
- Tsukiji Market
- Meiji Jingu Shrine + Yoyogi Park
- Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
- Sensoji Temple
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office
- Studio Ghibli Museum
- Ginza, Shibuya, Shinjuku
- Tokyo Disneysea
- Day trip to Hakone

Are there any other must-go places of interest?

Which area should we stay in so that transport is convenient to all these places?

Based on our budget we have shortlisted hotels near Ikebukuro station, Inaricho station, Asakusa station, Asakusabashi station, Ningyocho Station
by mel (guest)  

Re: 6 Days Tokyo in Sept 2013/8/7 20:00
I think that's OK. But if you want to have more variety of experiences, I reccomend you to check this site https://www.govoyagin.com/
by yuki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Tokyo in Sept 2013/8/7 21:24
Don't forget to check for the Ghibli tickets in advance. Since school should have started and if you go during week, tickets should be easier to come by.
by SBxJap rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Tokyo in Sept 2013/8/7 21:43
For a base, Inarichō Station's not a bad choice: this puts you within striking distance of Ueno Park (and its collection of museums) to the west and the Asakusa area to the east. The immediate neighbourhood's pretty bland but I rather liked it; gave me a nice feel for the ordinary side of Tokyo.

More recently I've stayed in the vicinity of Bakurochō Station: several decent (and inexpensive) business hotels, a short train ride to Tokyo Station, easy access from both Narita (N'EX via Tokyo Stn.) and Haneda (subways). Very uninteresting neighbourhood, but I'm only there to sleep and eat so not a problem.

As for what to see, perhaps a better idea of what you're interested in may help the community offer tailored suggestions. Itineraries covering the more traditional side and the more modern side of Tokyo will look very different, as will any combination of the two (not to mention specific sights depending on your special areas of interest).

Cheerio.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Tokyo in Sept 2013/8/7 23:25
In September, instead of going to Shinjuku Gyoen, I would check out the smaller landscape gardens such as this: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3026.html .

I'm not familiar with all of the neighborhoods, but Ikebukuro should be the busiest, and Asakausa the most traditional. The others would likely be standard business areas. Given how spread out eveything is I don't think the location choice is that critical.

Also, take a look at how to get to Hakone - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html . I would try to avoid transfers during the morning rush hour. So that would mean trying to get to Shinjuku or Tokyo Station, before 7am, depending on how you go.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Tokyo in Sept 2013/8/8 00:38
Hi. I would recommend you to stay near Shinjuku or Shibuya area because of the listed places where you want to go. However, some place would be a little far from the area. i.e. Tsukiji. But the additional time to travel from the areas to Tsukiji would be 30 min as maximum.
Personally speaking, I really like Royal Park Hotel in Ningyo-cho. The hotel is not so large, but the hospitality is pretty good for me. The metro subway station is directly connected with the B2 or B3 of the hotel, and the limousine bus terminal is located opposite side of the hotel across the street. Those are very convenient. The accommodation fee is a little expensive, but it is not ao bad choice if your budget allow it. From the hotel, Ginza, Tsukiji, Asakusa, Odaiba are close. You don't need to trasnsfer the train for Shibuya, Aoyama, Omotesandou and Skytree. I suppose that a limousine bus for Diesneyland is available from the limousine bus terminal. Of course, both limousine bus is available for Narita and Haneda airport at the terminal.
Have a nice trip!
by SY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Tokyo in Sept 2013/8/9 04:42
Thank you very much for all your inputs.

We would like a combination of traditional (focused on architecture or scenery) and modern sights (inexpensive shopping, souvenirs, food).

I know that Ginza is more of upscale and luxury goods, so is Shibuya and Shinjuku the best for youths?

How about Odaiba and Roppongi Hills, is it worth exploring?
by mel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Tokyo in Sept 2013/8/9 05:59
I would only go to Roppongi Hills if I wanted to go to the Mori Art Museum - http://www.mori.art.museum/eng/ . They have some great exhibits. Otherwise, I would think Tokyo Sky Tree would be more interesting to tourists for both the views and the shopping.
Odaiba is fun, and monorail ride over is nice, but I would rank Shibuya and Shinjuku above it.

For traditional, other than Asakusa you have Yanaka, and the Edo History museum is good as well.

Re: 6 Days Tokyo in September 2013/8/14 02:24
Thanks, Mori Art Museum seems interesting, but am I right that it's only open when there are exhibitions? According to it's website there will be exhibits from 21 sept onwards, which I won't be in Tokyo.

For Asakusa area, I also intend to visit Ueno Park and Nakamise Shopping Street.

Feel free to suggest more places!
by mel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Tokyo in September 2013/8/14 02:41
A lot of junk is sold on Nakamise Dori - good traditional sweets though. For better shopping try the streets on either side. Check out the Asakusa Culture Tourist Information Center for a good view.

Your right, I think Mori Art Museum will be closed mid-September. If the skies are clear, all the observatories might be worthwhile. Otherwise I wouldn't bother except for maybe SkyTree, since it's unique and has some good souvenir shopping as well.

Re: 6 Days Tokyo in September 2013/8/14 11:43
To visit Tsukiji fish market, you must get up early ... It is not enough to arrive just before the market opens at 5:00 am
I experienced early August.
As I had an apartment in Tsukishima, I went on foot. I made ​​sure to arrive before 4:00.
But that day, the registration deadline was 3:30 ...
So to be sure to enter, you must be present before 3:00!
It was enough for me, I never went back.
by fuchan29 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread