Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shrine Charms/Amulets 2013/8/10 02:19
When I was in Japan, I picked up quite a few little charms and amulets at different shrines. A co-worker of mine mentioned that some of them have to be blessed a year after purchase to continue the luck.

I picked up a love charm, hanging cellphone style from Meiji, a gold paper with a small man inside from Sanjusangendo who apparently will bring me money and babies (!!) along with a paper fortune that was translated as "Most Fortunate". And finally at Jishu's Shrine at Kiyomizudera, I picked up a little Love Charm bag as well.

(I think most of my spending money went to the temples and shrines in Japan!)

When I go back in May 2014, do I just give my old charms back to the Miko, and buy new ones? What about the paper fortune? Someone suggested I burn it when my good luck comes to pass, but that seems kind of destructive if I'm supposed to return the others.

Thank you for your help!
by Amyranth  

Re: Shrine Charms/Amulets 2013/8/10 16:42
you can still keep it if you like the Charms/Amulets and buy another new one.
If you have a "Hamaya", a wooden or plastic made arrow, I would recommend you take it to a shrine but even though, you can keep it if you want.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Shrine Charms/Amulets 2013/8/12 10:41
The idea is that you return the "omamori" (normally a small decorative cloth bag with the shrine/temple name and what luck it is supposed to bring written on it) that you bought the previous year, thanking them for the protection they provided you in the past year, and buy a new one. Some people do it, others don't, even in Japan :)

The paper ones - people just keep them or leave them tied to a wire fence normally set up on the temple/shrine ground for that purpose (after they've read them on the spot).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread