Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Sumida Aquarium 2013/8/14 07:23
I just want peoples advice regarding this aquarium, has anyone been here, does the place justify the 2000 yen cost when compared to others like Sunshine Aquarium at Ikebukuro, Tokyo Sealife Aquarium at Kasai Rinkai Koen or Enoshima Aquarium.
by kms899  

Re: Visiting Sumida Aquarium 2013/8/14 09:02
I think it is overpriced for what it offers, but I think it can't be helped considering the location. It is very nicely designed, but I would not recommend it to cost-conscious travelers.

I find the Sunshine Aquarium more interesting when it comes to actually watching the animals. Enoshima even better, but the trip there alone costs as much as entry to the Sumida Aquarium.

It has been 15 years since I have been to the Tokyo Sealife Aquarium and can't remember the details.

Another one to consider is the Hakkeijima Sea Paradise. I think it is the largest in the Greater Tokyo area:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3213.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Sumida Aquarium 2013/8/14 10:27
Thanks for the reply, with my original plan to visit hakone, then I would visit Enoshima aquarium, but Hakkeijima Sea Paradise is out, I have been to these two places 3 years ago, enoshima aquarium is good, but hakkeijima was total empty, as it looks likely it will close down.

Tokyo Sealife Aquarium and sunshine is actually planned during my visit in october, but since i will be near asakusa I would asked if it worth going to sumida aquarium.

I like to see animals and fish etc, so this year my trip will include many of these.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Sumida Aquarium 2013/8/14 13:02
I can't recommend there, if you love aquariums, it's very small and not great, though you can watch penguins very close.
BTW, I visited Tokyo Sealife Aquarium called "Kasai Rinkai Suizokukan" in Japanese last weekend. It was so humid from station to the aquarium though...
I love there and Shinagawa Aquarium.
http://www.aquarium.gr.jp/en/index.html
Also Sunshine is not bad.
Of course, Hakkeijima is the greatest in Tokyo area.
by ajapaneseboy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Sumida Aquarium 2013/8/14 22:53
@ ajapaneseboy

Thanks for your reply, I actually don't like Hakkeijima, when I visit this place 3 years ago, the place was totally deserted.

Tokyo Sealife Aquarium is suppose to be a good place, I actaully arranged to see this place a few years back, but of all the days I choose, it was wednesday when it was their closing day.

So this year i will visit them again.

Shinagawa Aquarium looks good, i've heard about this place but never really though about it, i will try to fit this place into my iternary.

Re: Visiting Sumida Aquarium 2013/8/14 23:49
Checking the details from ueno to shinagawa aquarium, can anyone confirm that the kanto area pass whether it can be used for travel to omori-kaigan.

Re: Visiting Sumida Aquarium 2013/8/15 00:27
Omorikaigan is a Keikyu line (non-JR) station. You can use your Kanto pass to get to Shinagawa on JR and then change to Keikyu (exit JR, then pay 150 for a ticket on Keikyu). Or you can take JR to Omori Station and get to the aquarium from there. (It's walking distance, I guess 10 or 15 minutes, or I believe there's a bus.)

Shinagawa Aquarium is nice medium-size aquarium. I actually went to both Sumida and Shinagawa on my last trip to Tokyo, and I enjoyed both very much, but I wasn't expecting perfection from either. The Sumida Aquarium is small, but it has a tank of eels that for me was worth the price of admission (they were very entertaining, I thought). And I enjoyed poking around the shopping center. The Shinagawa Aquarium has a nice "tunnel" style tank (not terribly huge, but big enough) and some other very nice exhibits.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Sumida Aquarium 2013/8/15 01:28
Thanks uma for all the information.

reply to this thread